Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrapping ATMs - adhesive issues?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by GAC05, Feb 26, 2020.

1. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Hi all,
    I need to wrap about 40 brand new ATMs. We just did two for proof of concept approval.
    We are doing just sides and a small kick panel in the front.
    They have 2 sections
    Tops holding the electronics have painted smooth panels - aluminum or maybe sheet metal.
    Safe on the bottom looks to be thick cast iron that has a textured painted surface (not too textured kind of like drywall). I cleaned them with soap & water, followed by alcohol rub down.
    Wrap goes from bottom to top - top is fine but I am not sure of the safe areas.
    I used IJ180c-v3 printed and laminated with 8520 cast mat lam.
    It seems ok but the adhesion on the bottom is not as good as the top. I could lift and reset it without too much trouble. It didn't lift on its own and I heat set everything with attention to the edges that I needed to roll in and tuck.
    None of them are outside - they will be in the AC and out of the sun & rain.
    Samples had to be done in a hurry (overnight of course) so I didn't get much cure time on the prints before laminating or observation time post-install, but everything looked good going up into the delivery truck.
    I did get a chance to slap a test piece of laminated Ij180 (not printed) onto the safe a few days before they dropped the units to our shop and it had not curled up but was not too hard to pull off.

Does anyone have experience with these? I'd hate to get to #40 and find out #1 is starting to fall apart.
    I can order different material if there is a better choice for these - it just needs to be solvent printable for my Mutoh.

Thanks
    Wayne

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Tags:
  2. New Vision Signworks

New Vision Signworks Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Dana Point
    any pics?

3. Snydo

Snydo Active Member

May 1, 2008
    Mid Michigan
    Mac-Tac Rebel HT or Avery 2126HT EZ, I can totally vouch for the Rebel, have been using it since it hit the market and have stuff 6 years out in the field that still looks great.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Go with your gut. We did some doors that had a lot of orange peel, like a hammered texture. We could feel they werent adhering good like youre saying but thought theyd be ok. A week later, they started falling off so we went back and sanded all of the doors and its been fine since.
    We now scuff any door we wrap with 180 and make sure the edges are hit well. You can also try to use a spray adhesion promoter like bulldog. It seems to help but take that with a grain of salt.
    Why dont you use ij40 if its inside?

5. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Use 180-lse. It's low surface energy - still bubble free and conformable but it's glue is meant to stick to powder coated and other low energy surfaces.

We wrapped a bunch of plastic barricades / pylons with it and no issues. Regular 180 wouldn't stay on it.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...ilm-IJ180C-10LSE/?N=5002385+3290710426&rt=rud it's a "permanent" vinyl - but in a high traffic. Area where kids stand and pick at decals, that's a bonus.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Thanks all,
    I will look into the material options suggested.
    can't post photos yet as the new marketing campaign has not launched.
    As far as Ij40 I think I need to stick to a cast film as there are some panel edges that are butted up that I can't leave uncut and I don't want the shrinkage you get with a calendered film.

7. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We do about 250 ATM wraps a year for various companies. For short term we use Seal EasyDOT, for long term we use IJ39 for indoor or out. The typical microtexture on the powder coat causes issues with air release and permenence.

What brand of ATM are they? We find that Hantle and GenMega have the best finish typically.

8. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    On the IJ39 what would you lam it with if at all?
    As to the brand I don't have a clue but I can check. We did have them opened up to work the edges but I was so busy getting them done didn't even look at the labels.
    These graphics need to be as long term as possible for vinyl.
    Thank you

9. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We use 3M 8048 for both films we use, it works well and is very durable. We have had ATMs last 3 years here in AZ with IJ39 with no issues.