• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping behind rear bumpers (problem area)

odshawaii

Aloha guys / gals,

Anyone care to share their tricks / techniques on how to wrap the corner section behind the rear bumpers of trucks - wrinkle free (see below)?

wrinkle.jpg

I even removed the bumper and it still turned out like this. This area has been somewhat problematic for us so just wanted to see how you all tackle this area, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

spmracing

Heat, heat, heat. Also pull at a diagonal angle to the bottom right..

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
1st Pull the bumper off. Work slow and if not using oracal then coat the area with primer94. Use as little heat as possible and dont over stretch the material.

HulkSmash

More good tips:[video=youtube;0Iw1i3ZtF8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iw1i3ZtF8U[/video]

These videos do have some helpful tips to people who don't wrap. But one thing I don't agree with is the heat and stretch into channel. Your channel Will. Fail.
Sprinters - Do. Not. Roll. And. Heat. Into. Channels. Cut and drop is the right way to do it.

natedawg9640

These videos do have some helpful tips to people who don't wrap. But one thing I don't agree with is the heat and stretch into channel. Your channel Will. Fail.
Sprinters - Do. Not. Roll. And. Heat. Into. Channels. Cut and drop is the right way to do it.

in a lot of instances i'd agree, but not this one. If the channel is excessively deep, not a good idea. Also, if the channel has a panel splice in it such as where two panels meet (letting air at the backside) it will fail. The one he did on the video was minor and sealed. The lack of air access in the channel will keep it from bubbling IF you dont compromise the vinyl (pop bubbles/relief cut). If you told a novice to wrap unstretched into the channel he did in the video, you'd do through 10 yards of material before they got it right.

HulkSmash

in a lot of instances i'd agree, but not this one. If the channel is excessively deep, not a good idea. Also, if the channel has a panel splice in it such as where two panels meet (letting air at the backside) it will fail. The one he did on the video was minor and sealed. The lack of air access in the channel will keep it from bubbling IF you dont compromise the vinyl (pop bubbles/relief cut). If you told a novice to wrap unstretched into the channel he did in the video, you'd do through 10 yards of material before they got it right.

um that's why you don't have a novice wrap your vehicle. The correct way to wrap it, and i HATE to say it, but even 3m has it in their bulletin... Is to cut, and drop in the channel. I'm not talking about a relief cut. Like literally wrap flat over the channel neatly cut the edge, and drop the panel in flush with the sides.

see attached

Attachments

• ex.jpg
    ex.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 134

natedawg9640

um that's why you don't have a novice wrap your vehicle. The correct way to wrap it, and i HATE to say it, but even 3m has it in their bulletin... Is to cut, and drop in the channel. I'm not talking about a relief cut. Like literally wrap flat over the channel neatly cut the edge, and drop the panel in flush with the sides.

see attached

Works for a utilitarian wrap such as a printed advertisement like you linked... but what about a color change on a car with a hard body line? 2006 Acura TL for example... I don't think the owner will appreciate the vinyl edge. They are done seamless.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We also just trim around behind bumpers.... If they want it behind the bumper ends I'll tell them to bring the vehicle in with the bumper removed. Same as if they want it to go much at all between the cab and bed.... sure thing, remove the bed and bring it in. We will remove certain things at times like some lights but quite often bumper bolts are going to be rusted and very hard to break loose. I'm not in the business of removing heavy body parts from vehicles.

HulkSmash

Works for a utilitarian wrap such as a printed advertisement like you linked... but what about a color change on a car with a hard body line? 2006 Acura TL for example... I don't think the owner will appreciate the vinyl edge. They are done seamless.

The hard body lines on cars don't even come close to comparing to a sprinter recess. We do color change wraps seamless all day. But we don't tuck and fold under, or door jambs and stuff of that nature.

We're strictly Business to Business, doing mostly fleets... unless of course someone is willing to pay what we charge for color change.

It's really a whole different market.. but in terms of recesses, sprinters and Acuras are on a different level.