Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions wrapping tanning canopy?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by petepaz, Jan 24, 2019.

1. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    customer wants to wrap an tanning canopy. matte black (i recommended they get them painted) any thoughts on tackling this project? the curves look like they may give me some trouble. also getting a material to stick to that surface(probably have to use a hi-tack vinyl)

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Sometimes, if they don't wanna listen to reason, ya just hafta walk away.

• Like Like x 1
  3. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    so you agree painting is the best option. really not confident wrapping with vinyl will hold up if i can even wrap that curve properly (and that's a big if..haha)

4. Neil Stimpson

Neil Stimpson Dirt Industries Graphics

Jan 8, 2019
    North Carolina
    The curves wouldn't be a problem in my opinion, no different then car bumpers or motorcycle fairings. What I would look at is the texture of the surface? is it powder coated from the factory and has a rough texture or is it gloss painted?

If its rough textured like a powder coated surface, you could use a General Form High Tac vinyl with a standard laminate, I use those for kiosks. It is a lot harder to lay but can be done.

If its a smooth surface use a standard wrap kit for vehicles like a Arlon kit or General Form kit.

Thats how I would go about it and factor in double time labor if you don't have a lot of experience with curved surfaces. The Arlon kit is very conformable, air release and really easy to use.

Good luck with the project if you do take it on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Do you know what kind of temps or uv exposure that top may get? I honestly have no idea, but that'd also be something I'd look at. I'd be tempted to use something like this.

6. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Wrapping would not be a problem if you know how to manipulate the vinyl

The big question is what is the top make from?

For the “hump” in the middle you could do 3 pieces with a butt seam to either side and then put an accent stripe or ??? down either side