• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping with calendered

Tony Rome

Just use the right stuff, and stop ruining the wrap market.
No you do not use calendered on vehicles. Period.

I'm not trying to be a know it all, but using calendered is the wrong way to do it, it will fail. no matter how flat it is.

Ok buddy, relax. This is why i am asking, and if you read you would see i came to that conclusion. You should have started and finished with your last sentence.
:smile:

HulkSmash

I read your original question and answered, sorry if i don't have tons of free time to read every response.

Conor Knoxx

I did a box trailer last summer with Oracal Calendared with air-release. (I think it was 3751, but I'd have to look it up) Laminated with 210 lam (however I've read here many times you can put cast lam on calendared vinyl, but not the other way around)
My understanding of cast vs calendared is cast is more "conformable" so you can stretch and pull it, and it will stay (with heat) Calendared not so much ;) Cast will also last longer.
So.... other than last longer, what's the advantage of cast for a big flat surface? My trailer did have rivets, which were indeed a problem, even with heat, it was hard to keep the vinyl down tight around them. Other than that, it still looks perfect.
Its a competitive world out there!.... just because a solution is not "perfect" doesn't mean it's out of the question. I think the key thing is the customer is aware of the choices / differences.

MikePro

What Mosh was trying to say was, it is a moron on oxycodone who wraps a vehicle with calendered.

:goodpost:

also,
i'll chime-in for Arlon 6000xrp. LOVE IT! and pricing is MUCH better than 3M. Already wrapped 5 vehicles and a pair of wall murals in the past 6 months with it, no issues.
The Suede laminate appears pretty much the same finish as 3M's matte.

Circleville Signs

Guys - he isn't wrapping this thing. He is flat surface applying, and not going around any curves, even the back edge of the van around the taillights.

Now, cast is most definitely the preferred method. It is what I would recommend to every client I have. HOWEVER - using the Arlon or the 3751 would suffice for this application, AS LONG AS the client fully understands what the differences are.

Gary

Tony Rome

OK so here is my final conclusion, thanks to all who helped!!!

I think the Arlon or Oracal would both work.

Cast is the way to go for THIS particular installation.

I called and talked to techs at Oracal and Arlon (just for my peace of mind, but was probably overkill as many of you were giving me great info) and I am going with...drumroll please...
Oracal 3751RA, it is a newer vinyl released about a year ago, they made this because people complained that the 3951RA was too tacky while installing.
The 3751RA is an 8 yr while the 3951 is 10, but that is the only difference as far as quality.
The rep told me that in their line, the 3751 has an initial tack closest to 3M IJ180.

I used the Oracal 3951RA before and I loved the air release but I did have a little hard time with the initial tack if I needed to reposition immediately.

Looks like it came down to this (IMO after my research)

3M IJ180 BEST - Most expensive
Oracal 3751RA Very Good - About $215 less than 3M KIT for 54"x150.
Arlon 6000XRP Good - About $65 less than Oracal KIT.

Fellers also confirmed this is the order in which they sell.
Feel free to add what you like the best for Cast wrap materials/Lam.

Thanks everybody!

Conor Knoxx

well, that just got me curious - so I went back and looked it up. It was the Oracal 3651 we used - definitely calendared. $260 / 54inch roll.

tsgstl

Take advise from professionals but always give the customer what they expect and can afford. Giving a customer what he is willing to pay for at correct pricing will not ruin any market. Ruining a market happens when you underbid.

I personally would opt for cast, the small sq ft savings isn't worth the shrinkage the calendered will have over time. With that said if you are a small shop and have to buy a roll of cast and lam that will most likely sit there for years then you aren't going to make any profit. In this case you might think of outsourcing the print in cast, might be a little more per sq ft but you wont have the cost in material sitting around.

LittleSnakey

Make sure you use the 3220 laminate which is cast, not the 3420. The 3420 is calendered and shrinks alot. We use the 3220 laminate with 4560gtx for cheap customers.

OK so here is my final conclusion, thanks to all who helped!!!

I think the Arlon or Oracal would both work.

Cast is the way to go for THIS particular installation.

I called and talked to techs at Oracal and Arlon (just for my peace of mind, but was probably overkill as many of you were giving me great info) and I am going with...drumroll please...
Oracal 3751RA, it is a newer vinyl released about a year ago, they made this because people complained that the 3951RA was too tacky while installing.
The 3751RA is an 8 yr while the 3951 is 10, but that is the only difference as far as quality.
The rep told me that in their line, the 3751 has an initial tack closest to 3M IJ180.

I used the Oracal 3951RA before and I loved the air release but I did have a little hard time with the initial tack if I needed to reposition immediately.

Looks like it came down to this (IMO after my research)

3M IJ180 BEST - Most expensive
Oracal 3751RA Very Good - About $215 less than 3M KIT for 54"x150.
Arlon 6000XRP Good - About $65 less than Oracal KIT.

Fellers also confirmed this is the order in which they sell.
Feel free to add what you like the best for Cast wrap materials/Lam.

Thanks everybody!

deegrafix

I did test panels on my PT Cruiser using IJ35C laminated with Oracal 210. The cut out images on the hood and back look as good as they did 6 months ago. No shrinking, peeling fading, nothing.

Wrapped the passenger door about 2 months ago and recently a little area the size of a nickel in the middle of that tricky little convex area has popped up. Had to use heat to lay it there. So, short term only is the verdict on that. Not sure if primer would have made the difference but I doubt it.

Circleville Signs

You used IJ35c on a vehicle?

ROFL!!!!!!

Hope you don't mind your painting and clearcoat coming up when you take it off. That's permanent adhesive, lady!

Gary

petesign

You can use IJ40 for short term vehicle graphics on flat surfaces. It's rated as a 7 year film. Grimco also sells automark (I've never tried it) and its supposed to be decent. I'd never use calendared on anything you wanted to look good for a long period of time, its going to shrink, and really be a pain to remove.

HulkSmash

Ok people. Not trying to be rude. Please do not tell professionals who are seeking advice in how to do something right. for the love of god do not wrap or decal with ij35.