• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wraptacular

phototec

Wraptacular!

Anyone ever have a big sale on van wraps?

I just received this Wraptacular advertisement by email, offer looks to good to be true...

Wrap any standard cargo van for $1895 including FREE design with purchase.

:help

Attachments

• Wraptacular.jpg
    Wraptacular.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 120

Christian @ 2CT Media

Wow... simply wow. On average that is $6.31/sq ft for all the hassle of individual projects, and then they throw in design!

EDIT: At least the fine print covers a lot of bases... its still an uphill battle for most clients as they will find it misleading.

Craig Sjoquist

That is one expensive van wrap company.

Poor design
2nd, grade vinyl
How good are the installers,
What does the print in real look like
How do they protect it from the elements
At $1,900 installers make how much ? how concerned are they ?
At that kind of pricing will they still be there a year from now when a problem happens

See how expensive they are becoming.

phototec

Poor design
2nd, grade vinyl
At that kind of pricing will they still be there a year from now when a problem happens

All good points - I didn't even think about those items.....:clapping:

iSign

hey phototec..
couldn't bring myself to bump that other train wreck... but you're right, you haven't seen me because I've rarely been here for a few years...

I'll join you for a loco-moco... a local favorite!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like Jimmy Durante used to say....... Da all gost a gimmick............ I got a million of 'em.....hachachachachacha............. :ROFLMAO:

bulldozer

Poor design
2nd, grade vinyl

the designs are examples and probably exactly how the customers wanted them.
it's laminated.
installers are probably paid hourly.

only answers i have for you.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

Poor design
2nd, grade vinyl

I'll play devils advocate here.
Let's assume it's a 1 or 2 person shop.

•Design is labor and they could do good design for a reasonable price.
•Avery Wrap vinyl & Lam is NOT 2nd grade vinyl.
•Installer could be the owner & very good
•Print could look great coming off a great printer
•Laminated with UV as stated in flyer
•at $1,900 installer could make any portion of the profit.

Assuming a van only uses half a 150' wrap kit and 1/4 or less of ink that material cost is roughly $600
Assuming no reprints are necessary...that leaves $1,300 to be divided up among the installer, designer, shop.
Now assume the designer, installer and shop owner are all the same person and are trying to get enough work to survive the dead winter before the freeze comes...(starving for work)
and can knock out 2 vans a week...that's $10K in one month at "too low prices".
That will likely pay the rent and equipment bills for the winter...and then some.
Again this is all assuming they are small with low overhead.

At those low prices...they could do that all month long and be fine. Ideal? Maybe not. Stupid? Not if it plays out like the scenario above.

Typestries

That shop is not too far from us. They must be wrapping from "sunrise" on up, at those prices!

One of those Kelly vans on the left is down our way from time to time, have no idea if the one I see came from their shop, but it looks like an install along the lines of the advertised price.

To each their own I guess.

phototec

I'll play devils advocate here.
Let's assume it's a 1 or 2 person shop.

•Design is labor and they could do good design for a reasonable price.
•Avery Wrap vinyl & Lam is NOT 2nd grade vinyl.
•Installer could be the owner & very good
•Print could look great coming off a great printer
•Laminated with UV as stated in flyer
•at $1,900 installer could make any portion of the profit.

Assuming a van only uses half a 150' wrap kit and 1/4 or less of ink that material cost is roughly $600
Assuming no reprints are necessary...that leaves $1,300 to be divided up among the installer, designer, shop.
Now assume the designer, installer and shop owner are all the same person and are trying to get enough work to survive the dead winter before the freeze comes...(starving for work)
and can knock out 2 vans a week...that's $10K in one month at "too low prices".
That will likely pay the rent and equipment bills for the winter...and then some.
Again this is all assuming they are small with low overhead.

At those low prices...they could do that all month long and be fine. Ideal? Maybe not. Stupid? Not if it plays out like the scenario above.

I like your scenario, makes sense except for one thing, the sale flyer is NOT from a small 1-2 person shop. It came from a decent sized sign shop with a good web presence.

Here is a screen capture of there October Special wholesale printed wrap price.

Attachments

• Wholesale wraps.jpg
    Wholesale wraps.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 110

Typestries

Their "special" is only a few cents less than our (and that of other wholesalers here) regular pricing on 100 sq ft +. They do throw in free UPS though.

And love how it's right out there for the public to see. Classy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, while Kentucky gives a fine review of how this can be accomplished, why do it ??

There are plenty of areas, our shop, could beat the pants off the competition, but why, as already mentioned, race to the bottom ?? Why not just keep a better profit margin going and just stay slightly below the competition ?? The big box stores use this method and while it seems good for the consumer.... are they really getting quality or hidden schleck ?? Anyone knows, if you want a quality bathroom installed or great windows, you go to a professional who only deals in quality, not some hack.

Anyway, I'm glad my days are numbered. Too many unknowns entering the marketplace with too many wannabees giving out useless answers and information, just to make a quick buck. :covereyes:

jfiscus

Rap Master
For a one-off van, no that is a bit to low unless you're a 1-2 man shop. For the large fleet orders, yes that is a very reasonable price for a simple van wrap.
Volume will take up the slack, but to get the volume you have to lower the price to compete.

Z SIGNS

Glad I'm not down in that cesspool of work and customers.

At the rate these rappers are going you will be paying the customer for the privilege of working for them.

Keep up the good work and let us know when you will be closing and selling your printer.

player

If something goes wrong there is no margin to cover it.

There is also no allowance for equipment depreciation and replacement.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
For the record...I neither endorse that special nor do I practice it.
I was only showing how (IF) they were small etc...and starving to make it through the hard winter...it would do just that.

phototec

Exactly. Just because you can, doesn't mean it's a good idea. I will NEVER stoop down to the "lowest price per sq ft" business model. I don't even quote sq ft pricing, ever. I understand to do tons of volume you need to be very competitive but I would rather charge what we need and make sure we make a buck at it. I'd rather have customers come to us because we provide quality and and service rather than the lowest price in town.

Most of the time people request quotes on something they view as a commodity, chances are they go somewhere else. There are some people that can be educated but most only care about the number at the bottom of the quote. Those aren't our customers and never will be.

To you guys that do pump out huge volumes at lower prices, I still respect that and understand that's what you need to do stay competitive and keep the work rolling in. Being a smaller company, that's just not for us.

Good post Pat, I like what you had to say on the subject! :thumb:

fozzie

The other issue they will have in the future is customers will want the $1895 price still. Sounds like they did an email blitz to existing and potential customers. Human nature being what it is, folks who got the email (or heard about it) will want that special pricing or maybe 10% more give or take in the customer mind. Can here it now "well last October you would wrap my van for $1895 and now you want $xxxx". Once folks know how low you will go (and presumably making money) anything more and you are ripping them off.