• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrestling Room at High School Signs with multiple names

Stacey K

I like making signs
What is the best method for creating signs that you can add names to each year? They currently have the slide-in plastic things for some and for others just signs that I cut vinyl names for and we stick them up. I did not make any of these originally and as you can see lots of different fonts have been used over the years.

Thoughts???

1718808356313.png
1718808360623.png

weyandsign

I think both of these are good ideas. Or, for how cheap banners or poster prints are, they could do complete reprints every year. I like the wrestling one, but they could have done pre-set spaces & years on it, so the names don't get out of wack. The other one looks pretty boring, it could be re-designed with more up to date graphics while re-using the same slide-in panels or making all new ones.

JBurton

Signtologist
We did a big ol' swim records board with steel faces, a grid, and sold magnets for each record. This way, they can replace any given record without us going to site, saving tons of money over the years. These days, you could get ACM that is metal faced and make it flat without too much buckling.
Also to note, this is a project I spent hours trying to apply .25" strips of vinyl to make a grid, and it looked awful. Suck it up, quote the whole thing covered in vinyl, and plot out grids that you can mask. Or, get ready to start your new career in pinstriping!

gnubler

Reminds me of multi-tenant building directories I've worked on, cut vinyl lettering on an exterior window. They probably started out looking good, but over time people or other sign shops decide to get creative and use completely different fonts and odd spacing. Some look like a crazed crackhead laid them out.

JBurton

Signtologist
2 things I'm noticing on the MVW's sign:
1. All of the lettering up to 2009 looks to be done by the same company, or that's when the sign was originally produced. Why didn't they put 2010 and 2011 on the middle column though?
2. Joel Pence and Wayne Prahl must've been monsters!

petepaz

2 things I'm noticing on the MVW's sign:
1. All of the lettering up to 2009 looks to be done by the same company, or that's when the sign was originally produced. Why didn't they put 2010 and 2011 on the middle column though?
2. Joel Pence and Wayne Prahl must've been monsters!
the Prahl family holds 6 spots and two of them multi year so it's in the genes

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Having grown up in a fairly old university city, I'd say learn how to carve oak, and apply goldleaf.

ProSignTN

At Clarkrange High School in Fentress County, Tennessee where the all time winningest high school coach in the history of the game, Lamar Rodgers coaches, the Lady Buffalos get their name sandblasted in a marble rock if the win a gold ball (the State Championship in Tennessee). In 500 years that school building will be gone and that marble slab will still be standing there, with dozens of girls names on it.

Skooter

We've been using either Switch It magnetic frames, or adhesive backed magnetic sheeting on ACM or Alumalight to creat changeable roster/record boards. We print the base layer on magnetic receptive material and then the changeable names are applied on top. We use this same system for menu boards. Here is a link to the Switch It website.

https://www.switchitmagneticframes.com/

Jeff usually has a booth at the trade shows. He doesn't show roster/record boards on the website but you can get an idea of how the system works.

petepaz

yeah magnetic sign/display material is the latest craze but it's not cheap so not a lot of people go with it. we actually silk screen a job that has magnetic receptive particals in the ink, specialty ink, very expensive but we screen the blank sheets with some design on top and then the customer has magnets printed that they stick to it. i forget who it's for, make up company i think loreal or revlon.
check out signetics (it's from ultraflex), it's magnetic receptive media might be the best way to go but not cheap

JBurton

Signtologist
Good to know it exists. I've never ordered substrates from Grimco due to shipping costs and I think MaxMetal is a Grimco specialty, right?
Plenty of manufacturers make it, often referred to as SCM panels, or 'magnetic acm', a sheet from my distributor is about $120:
I'm either taking crazy pills, or you guys only read my posts for the laughs, but I mention steel faced acm in post 3...

jimbug72

I'm either taking crazy pills, or you guys only read my posts for the laughs, but I mention steel faced acm in post 3...
I mean, technically, you didn't mention steel faced acm. You said ACM that was metal faced. The A in ACM stands for aluminum, and aluminum is a metal, but with that said, we all knew what you were talking about. I just feel like being a pedantic little sh!thead this morning I suppose. :toasting:

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Here are some that we did. We used adhesive backed magnetic material and we'll use printable magnet material to add to these. Just finished them so we'll likely be trying it out next year. I used to add cut vinyl to each name/record with a ladder and it was a PITA!

Attachments

• PXL_20240125_163900848 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240125_163900848 (1).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20240125_163913469.jpg
    PXL_20240125_163913469.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29

visual800

i would do cut vinyl on these BUT the biggest issue with these are you may do them fo a few years but then they get new administration and they end up calling someone else and they cant match fonts