• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrinkles and bubbles in application tape???

LegitGraphics

Just skimmed over the posts but it seems like everyone is laying their masking over the graphic.

when doing bigger pieces i always lay my masking on the table first, sticky side up and lay my graphic on top.

smoothing it with my hands first and then going over it with a squeegee on the vinyl backing, then i flip it over and squeegee again

no wrinkles or bubbles....EVER!

hope that explanation makes sense

Here what i have made up and use, works well and simple design. Made from 1inch box tubing and flat plate for mounting it to the table. Bolts and washers at the top to hold the cross bar

Attachments

• 2013-02-28 12.24.59 (2).jpg
    2013-02-28 12.24.59 (2).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 176

Z SIGNS

Nice tape holding rig highspeed. We have one similar.I think it's the best way to lay down application tape.Why would anyone do it another way ? Unless you have miles of transfer tape to do every day I think a contraption like a sheeter is a waste of time any money.It's bought by people who don't know any better

Sign Works

Hey I got one of those fancy tape holder dohickey things, it's called my two hands. Stick the end of app tape over edge of table and walk back with roll in hands, wham bam thank you mamm. Dosen't matter if it's 48" x 12', simply lay it evenly on print or cut vinyl and squeegee like a mad man from the center out so you can snap it back up if you need to even up tension from either end and yes it's a 4" squeegee. Been doin it this way for over 20 years, takes only seconds. Gotta use decent app tape though, I prefer TransferRite Ultra, absoloutly hate MainTape.

BobM

Like you I have experienced application tape problems from time to time. Most of the time the problems are self inflicted. The big problem came when taping a 28" x 6' cut vinyl decals that I make 15 of a time. The 30" application tape roll is a little cumbersome to handle with the Big Squeegee. So I made a roll dispenser, tied it to one end of my table, layed the vinyl out, pulled the 30" sheet over the vinyl and applied the tape with the Big Squeegee. Wrinkles/bubbles happen 50% of the time.

While visiting a friends shop, I noticed his method. Reverse the roll of tape with the sticky side up, pull it out on the table, and gently lay the decal on it, Big Squeegee it.

Simple, quick and easy. KISS theory - Keep It Simple Stupid. Never to late to teach this old dog a new trick.