Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrinkling

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by PressPrintGraphics, Jan 21, 2009.

1. PressPrintGraphics

PressPrintGraphics Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Do any of you have problems with the laminate wrinkling if you leave it on the spool over night?

Laminated some stuff yesterday, none more that 2-3 feet, and everything went nice and smooth (Thank God).

I come in this morning, laminate another 24" print, and it starts wrinkling.

Not sure if it's because I don't have any AC or Heat on in the shop since I live in FL and it's Wintertime and maybe temp. drop during the night causes it, or what..?

Or am I just STILL not loading this thing right? If i'm not loading this thing right, I need to just hire someone to come do it for me because this is getting ridiculous.

Tension on supply and take-up spool, loaded the laminate nice and taught, pulled it through the machine and made sure it was completely straight before even putting the roller down..

Someone please help :(

Tags:
  2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    What kind of laminator is it.

3. signpro

signpro Manager

Dec 29, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    doubtful it's temp drop.. i'm in WI and leave mine on the roll overnight all the time. my temps get lower than yours i bet! i run a ft or so on a piece of scrap material, to make sure the wrinkles are gone, then lam my product.

i make sure the rolls are not touching when i leave it, and that the laminate is pulled snugly as well to help prevent wrinkles. i think the foot of scrap material is the key. it's about the same amount of waste if you reload it... this just saves you the time of reloading.

4. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Mine stays on the roll all the time... never had wrinkles be an issue... I'm in FL too and it was darn cold last night... but laminator was fine...

5. Brendan

Brendan Active Member

Jan 15, 2007
    new england
    Id be willing to bet its how it is webbed. The tension needs to be consistent and relatively tight. That is the biggest PITA with these things.

6. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Temperature and humidity can have a dramatic affect on both the media and laminate. Some more than others though. Look what heat does to intermediate film - it shrinks. Also, film with a paper liner can act like a sponge and expand or contract from humidity too.
    The real concern is, over a period of time, leaving the rollers pinched on your laminator will lead to flat spotting which will result in less desirable results in the finished laminated product.

Checkers

7. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Absolutely!!!!

8. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    the temp and humidity do play a part on the material but that shouldn't be a problem on the laminator
    if you store the material in the same location as the laminator once you put it on the laminator nothing has changed
    could be the way it is loaded or may be after you laminated the tension was off and when you started the next day it need to be adjusted