• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wtf!!!

2B

did up the days printing and laid it out to vent overnight. closed the shop down came in the next morn and was getting the next round of print lined up in versa when the Yellow's reservoir percent was off as in DRASTICALLY reduced from the others which was odd as this round of ink cartridges are just a few days old.

Pulled the cartridge to find the following....

After getting the hart palpation under control, called the tech (still under warranty) they thought I was joking. they came out and it was WTF!!! they had never seen nor heard of this occurring.

the problem now is the ink had gotten on the circuit board so no sure what with become of that and/or how long it was there so the extent of how much corrosion is unknown as of now

So proud that I'm special and can't have normal "issues" :doh:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 101

2B

The model is a VS-640,

First thought was heat also, but none of the other cartridges show damage/warping/melting etc...

Closer inspection of the case shows the the plastic seemed to melt outward, implying the heat source came from within. But there is nothing producing heat in the ink cartridge case. The current theory is the bladder ruptured and the ink melted its way out :/

Custom_Grafx

Im scared... i have the same model...

You think there could be a design flaw with the new design of the cartridge position? They used to go in horizontally... now they are vertical... I wonder.

Sometimes, when I put carts back in after a shake, it doesn't feel too reassuring... maybe the excessive cart shakes arent a good idea... they updated their firmware to make that less frequent... maybe as a result? (I'm thinking excessive removal and replacing of the same cart can loosen the seal...)

Have you got firmware 2.7? (I think the shake frequency was addressed around 2.5 though).

J Hill Designs

I would say the solvent ink leaked out of the nipple and on to the cartridge - I think only the bag within the cart is solv resistant not the cart itself

MikePro

I think only the bag within the cart is solv resistant not the cart itself
+1

hopefully you've got no issues besides as a result of this. your ink supplier should at least be able to send you a new cartridge to replace the defective one. hopefully they'd cover damages it caused to your printer, if any, but its unlikely.

CS-SignSupply

Ink leaked from cart/neoprene and contacted the cartridge body...

Plenty of times run into Roland cartridges being damaged in shipping to find the plastic cartridge being completely melted still inside the sealed shipping bag... only the foil bag, chip and label was left...

dhawkes

Wide Format Fan
Hello,

What ink are you using? From the images, it doesn't appear to be Roland ink. Can you please clarify?

Best regards,

David Hawkes
Group Product Manager
Roland DGA

2B

someone else had a simular problem acouple weeks back on here if i remember rightly.

I searched but did not find a post about another VS ruptured cartridge would be interested to know what the situation was and if there is a common denominator.

Hello,

What ink are you using? From the images, it doesn't appear to be Roland ink. Can you please clarify?

Best regards,

David Hawkes
Group Product Manager
Roland DGA

See image, for exact ink used

Did you place the paper towel on the end of the cart or was that there when you pulled it out??

Yes we placed the paper towel over the orifice to try and contain the ink leakage during cleanup. the pictures in the first post don't do justice to the amount of yellow ink that was splattered over the inside of the machine.

The concern we are having is after seeing how corrosive the ink was against the bladder case, what is it going to do to the wires/circuit board / etc...
that came in contact with the ink inside the case.
[FONT=&quot]It basically looked like a yellow bomb went off inside the case. [/FONT]

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 122

phototec

Waiting to hear what ROLAND and your DEALER have to say about this?

Is ROLAND paying to fix your machine, because of their faulty leaking cartridge?

:help

RolandDGATech

Recommended to contact your selling dealer.

Hello,

For all service related issues, it's strongly recommended to consult with your authorized Roland dealer to have this issue addressed. They will know all the repair and warranty procedures, and will help you get up and running fairly quickly.

If you need to find a dealer in your region, use the Roland dealer locator service here: http://www.rolanddga.com/dealers/

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
Tel: 949-727-2100 x1 Fax: 949-727-2112

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/bn/

Last edited:

2B

UPDATE:

after many months of back and forth the machine was ruled defective and a new one installed. there have been 0 issues (knock on wood) and after inspecting the internals it appears that there have been several overhauls from the 1st Gen we had so many issues with

petepaz

Ink leaked from cart/neoprene and contacted the cartridge body...

Plenty of times run into Roland cartridges being damaged in shipping to find the plastic cartridge being completely melted still inside the sealed shipping bag... only the foil bag, chip and label was left...

i just had that happen with a roland uv cart. didn't open it and vendor took it back and replaced it
the cart. doing that in the machine sucks. hope they get back up and running soon

ddarlak

Go Bills!
completely off topic, but I switched to HP latex a year ago and these headaches that I used to have, I have no longer...

:)

34Ford

Well this is good to know. I had no idea this ink can eat plastic.
But it didn't seem to bother my syringe.

SD&F

It always great to see a company stand behind it's product and do the right thing. I hopw there was not tooo much of a hassle with it getting done.

Tizz

Damn that's one serious hole! I feel more assured that Roland has replaced your printer, I am about to purchase one in the next few weeks.