• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

www.magicjack.com

PSG

Would love to get Vonage but we can only get DSL here, no cable, and to get just a DSL line it has to be a "dry loop" they call it...which is more $$$. When the extra cost of the DSL is added to Vonage, it's a marginal savings from what I could tell. I think they want about $100/mo for a "business" dry-loop DSL line...f'n BS it's all the same, but they put the screws to you when it is a "Business" Same with our natural gas...they charge a minimum $30 basic fee (on top of everything else of course) for business but charge $10 for residential....exactly same company.

Chris is right on this! :goodpost:
Be very careful if you are thinking about keeping your DSL, but dropping your phone service. If you are in an area where you must be connected with a "dry loop" once your phone is disconnected, expect your bill to go up dramatically! I tried to do this and the "dry loop" price for internet alone was almost the same (@$12 difference) as if kept my phone line and DSL. Needless to say I kept it the way it was.

If you are not in a "dry loop" area, be aware some providers will give you better pricing for multiple services, instead of one.

Do your homework before you make any switch. Be certain it is going to work the way you want it to, cost what you expected and not confuse your customers (ie..a number change)! It will pay off in the end!

PSG

Vonage price is pretty good, just make sure it doesn't throw you into a "dry loop" situation or as Chris/GXSignCo said you wont see any savings!!!!! Most of those with cable setups should be Ok, but still check on any price increases, just to make sure. That is assuming you are using VOIP thru them.

SqueeGee

We've had Vonage for little over a year now, one line at home and one line at the sign business.

At home, we have Comcast cable high speed internet and the phone sounds just like a landline.

At work, we have 3 landlines and the Vonage line is our last "rollover" line. We have Embarq DSL at work and if we're downloading a file or any other bandwith heavy activity, the Vonage line sounds like a bad cell phone connection. It clicks in and out. If we paid for a higher speed connection, this would probably go away, but to this point it hasn't been a significant enough problem to justify the money, especially since it isn't our main line.

killergraphics

I have had vonage for a few of years, skype about 2 and the magic jack about a year. I feel the are best in the order I listed.
The support on all of them is bad.
But you get what you pay for. :doh:
My main #'s are still with AT&T but is is only because they are always there...working wise I mean not for support.

QuickSignsSA

Worked GREAT!!! No interference yet. Connected directly to a phone jack where there was no wireless signal, just straight line. That may be what is causing the problem, possibly the wireless signal doesnt work as well as the straight.

In my 30 minutes of owning it it has worked... I give it 2 thumbs up...

thmooch

MagicJack has my interest...I am using Vonage currently & it works with the fax also. Does MagicJack receive calls or just dial calls? Will it work with fax?

QuickSignsSA

when i pick up the phone it has a dial tone. receives calls too. Not sure of fax. I will test it out. Do you have a fax machine I can send a test fax to?

PSG

MagicJack has my interest...I am using Vonage currently & it works with the fax also. Does MagicJack receive calls or just dial calls? Will it work with fax?

They say on their website:

Does my computer need to be on to make or receive calls?
Yes. If the computer is turned off, voicemail will automatically take the call. You can also use our call forwarding feature to forward calls to your cell, home, or business number when the computer is turned off.

Can I send and receive faxes using magicJack?
We do not officially support using faxing with magicJack.
Please try the following steps to use magicJack with your fax (contact your fax vendor for details):

1. Turn off error correction on your fax machine or program
  2. Set the fax machine or program to use the slowest speed available
  3. Increase the speed, checking at each speed that faxes wor
What number or name will people see on their caller ID on a call from me?
People that you call will see your ten-digit magicJack telephone number on their caller ID.

Area codes
If your area code is not listed when you select a number, please select any other number. You will be able to change to your local area code one time for free, once it becomes available. For available area click here
To change your magicJack number click here. Once you have clicked the link, insert your email address and your password, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and change your number.
Please remember that you only have one FREE number change.

Can I port my land line telephone number to magicJack?
Yes, you will be able to transfer or port your existing local phone number to magicJack, for a nominal fee, sometime in 2009.

Can I block Telemarketer calls on my magicJack line?
Yes, using www.donotcall.gov

What type of internet service do I need?
Any of the following: Broadband, high-speed internet, cable internet, DSL, WiFi or WiMax.
magicJack does not work over Dial-up or satellite internet.

Will magicJack work on a Networked computer?
Yes. magicJack will work on a computer that is behind a router.

All of this content came from:
http://www.magicjack.com/1/faq/

QuickSignsSA

They say on their website:

Does my computer need to be on to make or receive calls?
Yes. If the computer is turned off, voicemail will automatically take the call. You can also use our call forwarding feature to forward calls to your cell, home, or business number when the computer is turned off.

Can I send and receive faxes using magicJack?
We do not officially support using faxing with magicJack.
Please try the following steps to use magicJack with your fax (contact your fax vendor for details):

1. Turn off error correction on your fax machine or program
  2. Set the fax machine or program to use the slowest speed available
  3. Increase the speed, checking at each speed that faxes wor
What number or name will people see on their caller ID on a call from me?
People that you call will see your ten-digit magicJack telephone number on their caller ID.

Area codes
If your area code is not listed when you select a number, please select any other number. You will be able to change to your local area code one time for free, once it becomes available. For available area click here
To change your magicJack number click here. Once you have clicked the link, insert your email address and your password, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and change your number.
Please remember that you only have one FREE number change.

Can I port my land line telephone number to magicJack?
Yes, you will be able to transfer or port your existing local phone number to magicJack, for a nominal fee, sometime in 2009.

Can I block Telemarketer calls on my magicJack line?
Yes, using www.donotcall.gov

What type of internet service do I need?
Any of the following: Broadband, high-speed internet, cable internet, DSL, WiFi or WiMax.
magicJack does not work over Dial-up or satellite internet.

Will magicJack work on a Networked computer?
Yes. magicJack will work on a computer that is behind a router.

All of this content came from:
http://www.magicjack.com/1/faq/

I will try a fax and report back how it went. thanks!

TheSnowman

I was talking to a customer about this and he has vonage and swears by it. Does anyone have it on this board ? If so how do you like it???

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE VONAGE! We have 5 Vonage lines @ our office, and I wouldn't have it any other way. We have 4 voice, and 1 fax line. There are so many helpful options for a business w/ vonage, that there's just no way to beat it. We have it wired into our phone system, so we don't even notice that it's VOIP. The fact that you can get your voicemail in your email when you get one, or have it send you a text when you get one, or even translate the messages into a text, is just amazing. Plus, you can set it up to ring 5 different lines at one time, plus your main line. I have it set to ring my cell @ the same time. If I'm not next to the phone, I answer the cell, if I'm not in the office, no one knows the difference.

It's great because there's just so many options, and so many things included that the phone company nickel and dimes you for...plus totally free long distance anywhere in the US, and to quite a few countries. I paid my bill for the whole year and it was $300. You know that's what it's going to be, and it won't fluxuate if you use it more one month than the next. The best part of the forwarding options is that you never give a customer your cell phone, and they can still reach you when you are out. Then when you go on vacation or something, you don't have to worry about customers calling your cell for stuff, you just shut it off.

Here's just a few of what you get included, plus a few more:
Included Features
Anyway, I'm a firm believer. They are a great service, if you have the bandwidth to pull it off. We have comcast, and it's blazin' fast cause we're sittin' right on top of the main hub. Another good thing about Vonage over Comcast (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) is that you can grab your box, and take it anywhere you have internet, plug it in, and you have your phone...even in other countries, it's a local call for you calling home, or people calling you. I believe that w/ Comcast Digital Voice, it's all wired in, and you can't just take the box w/ you.

Ok, I'll shut up now, but I've had several other threads on this, and I'm just a big time believer in it. If anyone out there is thinking about it, I highly recommend it!

QuickSignsSA

I think i may be sold on vonage! I still just got the magicjack and the skype, and will be good for at least voicemails! Well see about the reliable liness... Time will tell.

JimJenson

I have a magic jack.

What I have found is that its reliability is based on your internet speed and quality of connection. At my office, it gives a brief pause every now and again, but it seems to work better at home on a cable modem.

A couple of notes about magic jack

1) you can get a phone number from any normal area code (except 800 numbers)
2) you can plug it into any high speed computer (anywhere) and within a minute, make and/or receive calls from same number.
3) works good as a second tele number.
4) any common land phone will work in magic jack.
5) Haven't done it yet, but you can probably back feed existing jacks and power up telephone jacks in each room in your house. Again, untested.
6) no monthly fee like vonage.

What I don't like.

1) Magic jack software needs to be open minimized on your computer. If the tele rings, it maximizes their software on top of what you are doing.
2) if magic jack goes under, so does your prepaid but unused phone service.

I bought it as an alternative for my teenager to use instead of my home line, which seems to work out OK. It also won the product of the year award for 2008.

I have yet to test a fax, some claim it works if you set the fax at the slowest transmission speed.

JAMEY

I have had 2 Magicjacks for almost a year now. They work OK. Sometimes we get dropped calls which forces us to call back. Besides that, they are pretty good.

QuickSignsSA

*********update***************

********UPDATE**********UPDATE**********

MAGICK JACK JUST SUCCESSFULLY MADE MY FIRST CC TRANSACTION!

I also closed the batch as well, and all went through just fine!

I also sent a fax, and on my end, worked fine, and my friend received his fax as well!

Grande will only get my internet business from now on...

ATT Wireless will continue to be my provider of wireless phone.

TheSnowman

Don't believe so. I think I read that earlier in this thread, but I don't like reading enough to re-read it and find out.