Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XaraX Software ... Opinions?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Fred Weiss, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I got an email offer from Xara a few days ago offering a sale price of their vector design application XaraX for $79. It is regularly $179.

I spent the last couple of days playing with it and viewing a huge number of training and demonstration movies they have available as well ... and I'd have to say that while it won't replace my Omega and Flexi, it does do some useful and unique things very well. So I'm thinking, at that price, it will be a worthwhile addition to my toolbox. In particular for designing web graphics and for preparing images for Edge printing.

Opinions? Anyone using it?

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Here's an example of a quick special effect.

1. Set text on path and adjust kerning.
    2. Duplicate the text.
    3. Change color and apply bevel effect.
    4. Export bevel as JPG and unbeveled as AI
    5. Import both files into Omega, assign AI as cut only, assign halftone type and lpi to bevel, justify on both center axes.

Ready to print and cut in under 10 minutes.

Attached Files:

3. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Looks good Fred, I'm downloading the trial right now. Do you know if that special offer can be found on-line?

I did a search for XaraX $79 but only found the option to buy it for the full $179

4. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

i got XARA 2.0 and ive played with XARA X.
    this is a very good little graphics program. corel thought it was great and told the company how they was gona take XARA under theri wing and help them market it as long as corel can have access to their code!!! wala COREL V 8.0 was born....with most of the neat stuff that XARA had designed. after that corel droped em.....to fend for them selfs. all versions of corel from 9 to 12 is loaded with XARA code and features. did anyone notice how much faster corel 8 was then 7 or less versions? the color fade, thats XARA...and a lot of other things from XARA make corel better.
    as a stand alone program.....its good but i dont think $179 good.
    if your lookin for lesser know good programs try ARTS $ LETTERS EXPRESS 7.0...tons of clipart...it will cut to plotter........and i think its $99 or $149.

5. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    One of the most underappreciated softs around. Its great.
    I used to use it all the time before i got cocut..
    Oh well. time to fire it up again and play around some..
    It looks like it would be good to sue again with my Encad printers..

6. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I own a license to their Webstyle application which is why I got the special offer:

You might try contacting them and tell them you heard about the offer and wonder how you might be able to take advantage of it. They might respond with something worthwhile.

7. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    thanks Fred, I just may do that & if so, will report here