• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC 540 issue

crny1

Hello all,
My xc-540 decided it would no longer sheet cut after a print. I did the limit intialization set up per a video I found and the machine started to cut again. After 2 prints and cuts then it no longer will cut again. The cut carriages goes all the way to the left and then the blade does not drop down to cut as it comes across. Any ideas as to why it would lose the setting and not cut again so quickly? Thanks in advance.

crny1

Firmware updated and still the same issue. I have done the limit initalization 50 times and it says completed. Turn on the machine normally and put a roll in. Tell it to sheet cut and the carriage moves to the left, cutter goes down, touches for a split second, right back up and the carriage returns to the right not cutting.
Any other suggestions? There isnt alot of info on google about this issue.
What senses where the carriage is when its all the way to the left? Possible this sensor is messing up?
Thanks

Joe House

If the cutter goes down, then the cutter down position is probably ok. Stop messing with that. If it doesn't stay down the something in the sheet cut mechanism is messed up. Usually I've found that the spring in back is missing or disconnected at one end.

Hey crny1,

Joe House is right and based on the descriptions provided, it most likely is the sheet cutter assembly spring that's missing or disconnected. We'll let you have at it, but if you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

crny1

The spring in the back is attached. Everything on the sheet cut assembly seems to be fine. Nothing bent or anything that looks wrong. As you watch the carriage get the left end the quide wheel does in fact come down, touch and then right back up. It goes up as smooth and slow as it goes down. So to me its like the machine is doing it and not just a mechanical issue where it snaps back up or something of that nature. I know I am about to pull my hair out with it! Thanks

advision

It's a mechanical device, not controlled by a motor. The reason is goes back up smoothly is that it's not catching on a latch somewhere within the mechanism. The metal bar gets pushed against the wall of the machine causing the blade to come down. Some latch is supposed to catch at that point and keep the bar and blade in place until it reaches the other side of the machine where the latch is disengaged and everything goes back to normal. If the latch doesn't catch then the blade will simply raise back up as the carriage moves away from the wall.

If the spring was disengaged or stretched out then the blade would stay down instead because it's what pulls the bar back out and in turn raises the blade. (At least that's my understanding of it)

I was looking and the explosion of the carriage assembly in the manual but it's not much help, and unfortunately my XC is off site at the moment so I can't get a hands on. But it sounds like a mechanical malfunction. I suspect a small hunk of plastic has broken off or something.

petepaz

i think it's more like what advision said. we had a similar issue with our LEJ but we had a tech here to fix some other things so he fixed that also. sorry don't have the cure. may have to check with a tech

crny1

advison,
I thnk you are on the right track and when you described it the way you did it kind of clicked in my head.
Now to tear into it further and see what i can find out inside the mechanism.

brad800

I have owned an XC 540 for 10yrs, I have had the same issue from time to time. There is a single screw attaching the media knife linkage to the tool carriage, over time this mechanism can get tweeked from cutting thicker substrates, banner, pvc and this causes the blade carrier to tilt or get misaligned. Do a limit initialization and ensure the blade is dropping into the groove correctly when you position it by hand. following that i recommend cutting banner and thicker substates with a hand held knife.

crny1

brad800,
BINGO....that single screw has a built on washer or bigger head and it was hiding the slot in the mechanism to see it was adjustable. Once I realized this was adjustable I got it working in a couple minutes. Thanks all!