• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XR-640 is out of Warranty - should I switch to 3rd party inks?

flyplainsdrifta

yes, nazdar. love it. go for the bulk system. makes life so much easier. and cheaper. easy enough to install your self to be honest. dm me if you want to check out the pic of ours on my xf.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yes. We switched our XC-540 and XR-640 to Nazdar a while ago and all is good. I have noticed a VERY slight color shift over OEM but we also don't do much in terms of color management/profiling so we're as much to blame as the ink. Also smells different, but who cares. I trust Nazdar more than I do Roland as far as ink is concerned, they've been around forever.

My only complaint is that I have to buy OEM white ink.....otherwise we're paying $88 CDN (Nazdar) vs $156+ CDN (OEM). I haven't analyzed the savings in a while but any way you look at it, you're still saving almost 45%.

premiercolour

Merchant Member

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_5074.jpeg
    IMG_5074.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 297
  • JETBEST_INSTRUCTION_600x.jpg
    JETBEST_INSTRUCTION_600x.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 284

C5 Service&Repair

Nazdar inks are the worst. Terrible clogging issues. I've had to put in all new tubes, needles, heads dampers and pumps to clean out Nazdar inks from many machines. For ONE machine, stick to OEM ink. The $40 you save will end up costing you thousands before long.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Nazdar inks are the worst. Terrible clogging issues. I've had to put in all new tubes, needles, heads dampers and pumps to clean out Nazdar inks from many machines. For ONE machine, stick to OEM ink. The $40 you save will end up costing you thousands before long.

Interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard this about Nazdar inks. How many printers have you seen this happen to? What kind of printers, new/old, light/heavy use.....etc.

Not that it changes your point, but the cost savings are substantially more... we're paying $88CDN (Nazdar) vs $155CDN+ (Roland OEM)

We haven't had any issues whatsoever after a couple years now, but I'd be interested in hearing the other side of the story. I've also heard Nazdar stands behind their inks and am curious if those customers you mentioned had gone to Nazdar first to address the issues.

C5 Service&Repair

I had 4 different customers who each had multiple printers (3 of them running Mimakis and the other on Rolands) and they all had the magenta go bad within a few months of one another. I went in to each of them and told them it was an ink issue. Nazdar sent their techs out and denied it being an ink problem, so I went back, pulled all the dampers out and let the tech watch the magenta tar drain out of the damper slower than ketchup out of a new bottle.
Nazdar did cover a small portion of the repair costs with one of the customers, but I ended up guitting 13-14 printers and putting in all new ink systems,

petepaz

we use the nazdar inks also with good results but only their solvent inks. do not use their UV inks. we had some issues with them but nazdar is a good company and they came out and did all the neccessary repairs to get the uv machine back up and running and refunded us for the uv inks

zsa

Sticker
Should I switch to 3rd party inks? If so, any suggestions on brands?
Switch only if you print a lot on the printer, otherwise all bad. You have to have quantities and to print at least on daily basis.
3rd party Inks with CIS are more likely to dry / clog than cartridge solution.
If you print at least 5 liters of ink (all colors) / month the swich to 3rd CIS is ok.

Jim Hill

I understand that your printer is out of warranty and that is why you are considering using after market inks but it's my understanding from talking with my local Roland Dealer that if your printer needs a Roland Tech to come out and they find after market inks they will not service the printer any longer or sell you the parts to service it yourself.

In my case that told me that my SP-300 was a legacy printer which simple means that Roland not longer makes the mother board or the servo board for this printer so they informed me Not to call them in the future for a service call or for parts. There are plenty of places to purchase the parts and I do most of my own service on it anyway.

Roland is starting to do the exact same thing that many other companies are doing and that is if a Roland Tech comes out and finds any after market parts on your printer they are telling the tech to pack up their tools and not to service the printer and you now have to find another source for purchasing your parts.

Maybe you already have a different tech servicing your printer and in that case maybe it won't matter.

For anyone considering using after market inks just keep in mind the cost saving from the ink might be a drop in the bucket compared to finding a new tech to service your printer and finding the parts your need to do it.

Jim

ChicagoGraphics

When I bought my new Mimaki JV3 it came with a ink bulk cartridge system using Durafos inks from south Korea, never had any issues with the machine or the prints, colors we're vibirant from day one.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Yes. You may buy a CISS by Nite and the best choice would be Marabu inks.
Buy inks in pouches or cartridges.

https://www.marabu-inks.com/products/product-overview/detail-view/products/mara-1314.html

Marabu isn't Korean or Chinese product... It's German quality. You may try Nutec.... But I suggest that you buy Marabu. The price around 36-38 EUR for a liter in pouches in Europe.

What do you mean Korean or Chinese? I don’t see iPhones were made in Germany or any phones that were so massively produced.

As past dealers for Marabu and current for Jebest, we had two customers who were choosing from Marabu or Jetbest. Marabu being German made, both chose Marabu. Both of them had problem in both Mimaki CJV150. Right after installing Jetbest, problem resolved. Am I making this up? We have emails back and forth with Marabu. Not saying anyone is better than the other but your comment is just bias.

Last edited:

hazartilirot

What do you mean Korean or Chinese? I don’t see iPhones were made in Germany or any phones that were so massively produced.

As past dealers for Marabu and current for Jebest, we had two customers who were choosing from Marabu or Jetbest. Marabu being German made, both chose Marabu. Both of them had problem in both Mimaki CJV150. Right after installing Jetbest, problem resolved. Am I making this up? We have emails back and forth with Marabu. Not saying anyone is better than the other but your comment is just bias.
It's all about how much money a company puts in research and inventions. They make a product that's worth it's money and provide Quality Assurance or they just make a replica of something knowing nothing of the subject.
Two customers is almost nothing.

hazartilirot

Believe what you want to believe.
Well.... I see that you're a Mimaki dealer - Japan quality. I wonder why you don't sell printers which are made in China. Chinese is not always worse than.... If we are talking of a company like Huawei. However there are hundreds small others making a piece of shit.

Last edited:

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Well.... I see that you're a Mimaki dealer - Japan quality. I wonder why you don't sell printers which are made in China. Chinese is not always worse than.... If we are talking of a company like Huawei. However there are hundreds small others making a piece of ****.

Demand and supply 101. If the price of the supply is so high; buyers will not buy. (Chinese then will not make the products) Who control the quality? Buyers. Who allows the low quality? Buyers. Corporation does. That is something else.

We all, at least I am, should be appreciative of how Chinese products makes good-enough products so thousands of kids are not frozen in the winter. Cashmere doesn't do **** for the poor. Those hundreds of small others feed their family and work their a** off doing that.