• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

xR640 more issues

ImpactSignCo

Are you guys able to run wraps clearly in 720? We used to be able to until about the 4th head change. Now we are stuck in 1440 no matter what wrap media we use.

I haven't had good luck. This isn't my first XR640 either. It's been replaced before and I feel like this one is worse than my first. The first one just couldn't take up straight but at least I could print in 720 without ink fallout.

I havent noticed any issues printing clearly in 720. One thing I will do, if there is a complicated graphic or a lot of small details, is to physically slow down the print heads in Versaworks to about 700-800. Right now, for regular clear adhesive vinyl that's getting slapped on corrogated plastic, I have my Versaworks settings on 360x720 with the heads slowed down to 800. Slowing down the speed of the heads seems to make up for running it at a lower res. If I'm doing any wrap material or anything glossy, I will go the opposite, and run 720x720 with the head speed at about 1000, just to make up for the ink sitting on top of the material instead of setting in, like on a matte material. Also, I use Rolands color profiles for almost everything without fail.

JoshLoring

I havent noticed any issues printing clearly in 720. One thing I will do, if there is a complicated graphic or a lot of small details, is to physically slow down the print heads in Versaworks to about 700-800. Right now, for regular clear adhesive vinyl that's getting slapped on corrogated plastic, I have my Versaworks settings on 360x720 with the heads slowed down to 800. Slowing down the speed of the heads seems to make up for running it at a lower res. If I'm doing any wrap material or anything glossy, I will go the opposite, and run 720x720 with the head speed at about 1000, just to make up for the ink sitting on top of the material instead of setting in, like on a matte material. Also, I use Rolands color profiles for almost everything without fail.

You are lucky. I can't even print on Roland brand media with Roland brand profiles clearly. Even if their profiles have options for 360 or 720 their own media won't print well unless it's set to high quality. Printer takes a trip to banding city.

JoshLoring

Update:
Roland called me direct. They are taking over on the repair and issues I am having. Hopefully it can be resolved soon so I can get some wraps printed!

psedillo

Update:
Roland called me direct. They are taking over on the repair and issues I am having. Hopefully it can be resolved soon so I can get some wraps printed!
Man I'm really sorry to read about your issues with the Roland XR-640. I'm literally in the process of evaluating this machine vs. it's competition. After reading through this thread, it's giving me a serious amount of concern. I appreciate you taking the time to post the issues as they have happened.

I hope that Roland (direct) can help get this sorted out for you.

ProColorGraphics

That sucks that you're having so many issues. Glad I went with a new Epson S70 as its been working great. Hopefully Roland takes care of you! You're one of the most die hard Roland users I know.

JoshLoring

Sunday update:
Wish I was printing already. Ugh...
Printer wasn't fixed yesterday. Tech says taking ink but not firing. Might possibly need long trailing cables.
This could be going into late next week.. This will be week 3. I'm suspecting I'll have some pissed off clients.

reQ

Sunday update:
Printer wasn't fixed yesterday. Tech says taking ink but not firing. Might possibly need long trailing cables.
This could be going into late next week.. This will be week 3. I'm suspecting I'll have some pissed off clients.

I had my printer down for 2.5 weeks this winter, had 2 vehicle wraps and bunch of sled wraps to print... not even talking regular signage. First week people understood that i have problems with machine and there is nothing i can do but wait for it to get fixed... after 2nd week most of them were pissed of that i can't supply the product, and i could not blame them. I did feel really bad, so i understand you.

JoshLoring

I had my printer down for 2.5 weeks this winter, had 2 vehicle wraps and bunch of sled wraps to print... not even talking regular signage. First week people understood that i have problems with machine and there is nothing i can do but wait for it to get fixed... after 2nd week most of them were pissed of that i can't supply the product, and i could not blame them. I did feel really bad, so i understand you.

Was it an XR640?

minihoigs

Sunday update:

What materials are you printing on?

have you tried printing with all the rollers down and NOT putting it on the takeup unit?
we had same issue on wallpaper and couldn't put it on take up or we get bad banding...

bulldozer

You are a lucky one. Do you run a lot of media through it? 100-150' a day?
I know at least 5 direct contacts that I've went back and forth with on the issues with owning this particular printer.

i ran 3 rolls of 150' iom vinyl in 2 days last week. it has been a complete workhorse for me.

JoshLoring

What materials are you printing on? have you tried printing with all the rollers down and NOT putting it on the takeup unit? we had same issue on wallpaper and couldn't put it on take up or we get bad banding...

We print on Avery 1005 and IJ-189cv3 + some Roland backlit and more.
We get banding in takeup or off. The rollers make no difference.

JoshLoring

are you using the inside pinch rollers? i was told only to use the outside two or there is a greater chance of skewing.
We've used both ways and neither makes a difference. It will run perfect until about 20+feet of material gets on the core then it always starts walking.

TXFB.INS

Bummer, sorry to hear the ongoing issues are still on going.

I know a shop that had to get a VS 640 replaced, it took 1.5 years to get Roland to admit that machine machine was defective and have it replaced.
In that instant they put a wrong motherboard in the machine, I think it was for a 30" machine instead of the needed 64". caused all sorts of issues.

One would think that with you being just a couple hours away from the corporate office in California they would have driven you a new machine ASAP and taken the defective one back and done testing in their labs instead of having you loose money and potentially customers. As well as getting the bad rep documented for all to see online

Roland, MAJOR FAIL ON CUSTOMER SERVICE. with the advances that latex machines are making you need to be much better on all points especially customer service if you intend on keeping customers coming back for more machines....:noway::noway::noway:

JoshLoring

One would think that with you being just a couple hours away from the corporate office in California they would have driven you a new machine ASAP and taken the defective one back and done testing in their labs instead of having you loose money and potentially customers. As well as getting the bad rep documented for all to see online Roland, MAJOR FAIL ON CUSTOMER SERVICE. with the advances that latex machines are making you need to be much better on all points especially customer service if you intend on keeping customers coming back for more machines....:noway::noway::noway:

That's what I would think but it's going on three weeks with my second defective machine and zero income made from it. Everyone is trying to get me to go to latex but I keep giving Roland the benefit of the doubt. If this isn't resolved soon It could be detrimental.

A wrap a day keeps the pay checks paid but that's not happening. Not looking good for the XR-640 reviews. I wonder if that would help the searches? "Roland XR-640 review"

JoshLoring

Well. I had a metallic wrap to print and install 3 weeks ago. There goes that client. Thanks again. I'm not sure I will be hearing from them ever again.

ImpactSignCo

You are lucky. I can't even print on Roland brand media with Roland brand profiles clearly. Even if their profiles have options for 360 or 720 their own media won't print well unless it's set to high quality. Printer takes a trip to banding city.

That stinks. We rolled with an XC-540 before the XR, which we only upgraded for the added speed, and has worked like a charm. You would expect from a "flagship" machine, Roland would have all the bugs figured out on this model. It's unfortunate because for everyone who has had what seems to be a lemon of a machine, there are equally as many that have had success and no problems. I'm still a firm believer that Roland makes top notch products, and our local tech support does a fantastic job with any maintenance or equipment questions and concerns. It seems to be a good combination for us.
Maybe this was already addressed, but are you running OEM ink or 3rd party? Cartridges or bulk system?