• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

xR640 more issues

oksigns

Damn, this thread is a little scary. I've had an XR-640 for 2.5 years now, and I have had that banding issue as well. I jacked up the DPI and it went away, but I understand why that is not a solution here. I thought is was the stock, because it ran just fine for about 18 months. I will be keeping my eye on the thread for sure.

Same thing here! damn.

Seriously I wasted a lot of time and material to debug this, and the banding was alleviated, for me, when I was doing higher DPI printing regardless of print speed and feed calibration on working profiles. Luckily, the banding I see is only on grayscale spectrum, so I just made profiles for specific instances.

TUFFRONTS

XR-640 Banding Starvation fix

We to had a nightmare with the Roland XR-640. Intermittent starvation and banding. Come to find out it was neither. I noticed it occurred when the take up real engaged. Roland has come up with a shim kit. Their shim kit does not work. However I have come up with a permanent fix. I extended the pin on the outside roller and put two rollers on the end. Problem solved. The back pin on the roller housing happened to be the perfect length.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 7_27_2016 027.jpg
    7_27_2016 027.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 380

Ragnabrok

One more thing for XR-640 owners to check, whom get this random pattern banding, is if there is backlash on the feed motor.

Easy way to tell,with no media loaded, in service menu->motor menu->servo lock
It shows s (for scan) and some numbers, hit down so it shows f (for feed) and likely two 0's.
hit enter to lock the servo, should hear a beep and an * will be on the display as well.
using your hands on the grit rollers, try to manually force them forwards and backwards while watching the display. the numbers should only move plus/minus 5, unless you are really forcing on it.
If you see numbers close to 20, just taking the feed motor out, and putting it back in will likely solve this, you can test again to be sure.

minihoigs

We to had a nightmare with the Roland XR-640. Intermittent starvation and banding. Come to find out it was neither. I noticed it occurred when the take up real engaged. Roland has come up with a shim kit. Their shim kit does not work. However I have come up with a permanent fix. I extended the pin on the outside roller and put two rollers on the end. Problem solved. The back pin on the roller housing happened to be the perfect length.

Very creative, we found the solution as you did and was posted 4 comments up about the takeup system causing issue with rollers feeding.
did you use an outside roller or middle roller?

thanks

TUFFRONTS

I added the middle rollers to the end. The before image was high quality unidirectional. The After image is Standard bidirectional. I have also modified my XC-540. Same results no band or starvation ever. Your welcome all Roland operators. I know how much this has cost us all. If you have any questions in modifying your machines contact me at robertsr@graphicsthatpop.com
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 343
  • After_.jpg
    After_.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 366

SYYED SHAKEER

I added the middle rollers to the end. The before image was high quality unidirectional. The After image is Standard bidirectional. I have also modified my XC-540. Same results no band or starvation ever. Your welcome all Roland operators. I know how much this has cost us all. If you have any questions in modifying your machines contact me at robertsr@graphicsthatpop.com
attachment.php
attachment.php
Hope all is well and this is brilliant . Does this means , the outer rollers are modified to use two middle rollers with the longer pin ?