• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yearly font purchases...How Much?

showcase 66

check out the Glyphs

I just got that one a couple weeks ago just for the Glyphs. I had a free version of regular but well worth the price in my opinion.

I will say early in my career, I tried not to spend money on fonts. Would only use what I could find on dafont and sites like that.

Fonts have become an addiction the same like others have said. Signfonts, signsDNA, and LHF are in my weekly repetition of site viewing. I have almost all of Steve's fonts and a bunch from SDNA and LHF.

I also will not give anyone any fonts that I have used in there design. I have had many people ask if they can have the font so they can use it on there little things they are doing. Tell them where they can get it and that is about it. Even to my brother who I used one of Steve's fonts for his design. They wanted the one font. Told them that it was created by a friend of mine at Signfonts and he works really hard to create these amazing fonts. If they want it they have to buy it. They ended up buying a 6 pack of fonts that they love to use.

This past year I had over $350 in fonts which is the lowest in the past 3 or 4 years.

visual800

Ok i dont want to be ugly or nothing BUT until someone that creates fonts sends me a damn spreadsheet on creating one that totals 15k i might belive it. Posting articles and BS speculations mean nothing to me. Produce me visual proof that all I asked because I do not believe it. Im certainly not knocking people that create fonts cause, DNA, signfonts and letterhead fonts ROCK!

WildWestDesigns

Ok i dont want to be ugly or nothing BUT until someone that creates fonts sends me a damn spreadsheet on creating one that totals 15k i might belive it. Posting articles and BS speculations mean nothing to me. Produce me visual proof that all I asked because I do not believe it. Im certainly not knocking people that create fonts cause, DNA, signfonts and letterhead fonts ROCK!

I don't really see how that would even do it for you as I can easily come up with a spreadsheet that could have a total of 15k for something.

I think the point was that there is far more invested into creating the font then the simple price tag would dictate.

For instance, I create an embroidery font based off a TTF or OTF and it roughly takes me 8 hrs. I charge 25 for the font. That's 3.12 per hour. How many of y'all do design work for 3.12 an hour? I will also say that the embroidery fonts are good for only one brand of digitizing software, unlike people that create TTFs and OTFs, so the ROI is also much longer. Keep in mind, the hard part of the font is already done for my purposes, so I would imagine that Steve (and the others) spend far more time then I do. I might tweak kerning that's specific to embroidery needs (block kerning v. script kerning), but for the most part, mapping the letters is the biggest concern for me.

So if the price tag of the font was based off the time it took to create the font from beginning to end, I would most definitely see it being more then 20-25 dollars. Up to 15k? I don't know. Whole font family? I could see it being up there just in what is normally charged for their design time per hour.

I have created several fonts over the last year or so using a program called Font Creator. I generally spend anywhere from 4 hours to as much as 16 hours to produce one very limited partial font. In that time frame I can usually produce the upper case, lower case letters, and numbers if I see fit to go that far. It's just a hobby for me and I draw all of my letter forms freehand right inside the program, no sketched renderings, scanning, cleaning up, importing, cleaning up more, fine tuning, etc.

I can honestly say there HAS to be much more that goes into the creation of professional fonts, especially those that have gained fame for their style and beauty, and especially those that are rendered from hand drawn or hand painted letter styles, scripts in particular. I tried to sit down and create a script font freehand in the program and I got burned out on the project and swept it under the table by the time I got into the third character. So all in all, while I would say that some fonts such as simple sans serifs may be created within a matter of a few days, other fonts, such a scripts would take much, much longer. Weeks...months...years? And I guarantee you even the simplest font, when calculated into a precisely rendered family of fonts, can absolutely take years to create. There has to be literally thousands of characters in some families.

I'm sure any professional font maker would look at my stuff and say that while it looks okay and the idea is there, they could use a lot more time invested...time that I certainly don't have to fine tune the characters and extent the amount of available characters.

I am posting some examples. I have probably less than 100 hours invested in all of these, but most are missing lower case letters, numbers, and punctuations. And don't even get me started on ligatures and other glyphs because they simply don't even exist. These work for what I need them for, but could use a ton more work. I would say $15.000-$30,000 in man hours can certainly be a fair assessment for some fonts.

As far as how much we spend on fonts, we haven't invested much yet (we have been in business for 14 months) but have been planning on it for some time and will be purchasing some in the very near future. Some may recognize my Union Slab font as a striking replica of House United Slab. That's because it is. We do so much heat transfer on school apparel and I really wanted to own that font family, but we weren't in the financial position to buy it at the time so I took it on as my own project. I liked my knock-off finished product so much I went so far as to create the bevels, which would look awesome as a double layered heat transfer.

Attachments

• Crazy Days copy.jpg
    Crazy Days copy.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Jet Gothic copy.jpg
    Jet Gothic copy.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Old Classic copy.jpg
    Old Classic copy.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Old Truck copy.jpg
    Old Truck copy.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Simplicity Sans copy.jpg
    Simplicity Sans copy.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Union Slab Black Bevel 2 copy.jpg
    Union Slab Black Bevel 2 copy.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Union Slab Black Bevel copy.jpg
    Union Slab Black Bevel copy.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Union Slab Black copy.jpg
    Union Slab Black copy.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Union Slab Bold copy.jpg
    Union Slab Bold copy.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 70

Flame

As someone who is working on a font this morning, let me tell you it's not absurd. What kind of spreadsheet would you like? A lot of these guys you see on premium sign font websites, are high end graphic artists. To sit around and design for clients, $100 an hour is easily asked for. Now divide that by 15,000, thats 150 hours. That's easy to put into a font.

Some of these guys tweak and mess with a font, on and off for months, and then when you're ready to put it together and kern it, TWO DAYS solid, just making sure you have the letter height and kerning correct. Often, you spend all your time kerning a font and hit some letters that jut don't jive, and you go back to the drawing board.

It's a lot of work.

Guys releasing these high end fonts put a lot of time and effort into them, so hearing
All those fonts you buy, you can find online for free, you just have to know site where to find them.

That's all I'm saying....
is a little frustrating.

I mean you can also find Adobe Suite and Flexi dongle cracks online too, but should we encourage that on a sign forum?

Hi guys,
I just want to give my one cent :) My background is Signs but I retired from it to do what I love which is hand lettering and type design.
Visual800, I work on my fonts up to 10 hours a day and also weekends. Imagine each Glyph (letter) in a font as a design that you do for a client (logo, sign, layout, etc,) now times that by over 500 times. That is what it takes to make a damn good font. The other thing is no one pays you when you are making a font so you have to rely on font sales and personal savings to pay for your time. My fonts can take up to 2 years to make (full time). I could make fast fonts but then I wouldn't want to put my name on it.
Not trying to be a jerk, I just wanted to clarify what is involved. Nobody likes it when a customer has you layout a sign and then they go with another sign company with your design. Its the same when people pirate fonts.