Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoga Mat Printing on UV Flatbed/Hybrid Printer

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Julia Sugden, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Julia Sugden

Julia Sugden New Member

Apr 6, 2020
    Nashville
    Has anyone tried printing directly onto yoga mat material? We're thinking of printing directly onto 5 or 6mm thick yoga mat material. It is not coated for ink adhesion like most of our printable substrates. We currently only print on to smooth substrates, so I'm wondering:

Can we print directly onto regular yoga mat material
    How will the printer settings (height of print heads, etc) differ from printing on flat substrate
    Do we need to adjust any heat settings?

I'm hoping to get some insights before we do a test print. Really don't want a big mess or any headstrikes.

2. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I wouldn't hesitate to try it on a true flatbed. Not on my Vutek though

3. peterprintingparty

peterprintingparty New Member

Jun 20, 2019
    New Mexico
    As for head height, I would mic it (without squeezing the material) and print even a little higher than that. I can't imagine you'd be printing anything highly detailed. I'd run my lamps at the same I would most other things, I wouldn't worry about the material warping during print, but if you're worried, check your settings to see if you have a swath delay to cool down the material between passes. But yeah, on a true flatbed it wouldn't be much different than printing on a flat substrate. I've printed on some out weird things, just pay attention as you would with any new substrate.

4. tbaker

tbaker Member

I have several clients that print them on a vutek without issue.

5. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    We've done a few on our Oce flatbed with no issues.
    257 ink stuck well and is really flexible + no cracking.

• Like Like x 2
  6. chinaski

chinaski Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Finland
    Also had good luck using Oce flatbed with 257 inks.

Try to get the mat in white (not commonly produced). Use as low of an ink limit as possible —I had to flood white first and adhesion was lacking in the blacks, also surface of mat is meant to have grip and adding a bunch of ink lessen this.

7. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i have printed on yoga mat with roland LEJ-640. everything went fine and adhesion was good. the issue we had was customer complained about the smell from ink