• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

You make stickers, right?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"I was telling my wife about it while eating dinner and at first she was mad at me because it probably looked bad for our business. I explained I didnt have my normal shirt on. I had just a t shirt with no markings and my Diamondbacks hat on not the one with my logo on it. Which then it made it even funnier to me."

Where did you eat at with the other sign guy?
If I see someone at a sit down meal eating with his hat on I naturally assume he is a "sticker" guy.
"Decal" guys always remove their head gear before eating......
:omg:

wayne k
guam usa

showcase 66

"I was telling my wife about it while eating dinner and at first she was mad at me because it probably looked bad for our business. I explained I didnt have my normal shirt on. I had just a t shirt with no markings and my Diamondbacks hat on not the one with my logo on it. Which then it made it even funnier to me."

Where did you eat at with the other sign guy?
If I see someone at a sit down meal eating with his hat on I naturally assume he is a "sticker" guy.
"Decal" guys always remove their head gear before eating......
:omg:

wayne k
guam usa

We were at a sports bar not a real sit down place. Plus the meal was done. We were just sitting there talking and finishing our beer.

GypsyGraphics

we say........ "we manufacture appliques", but you have to pronounce it like "applikhays". Exhale on the last 4 letters so it sounds breathy and exotic. Make sure you have a hanky in your hand and touch it to your lips briefly after saying the word. It makes ladies get "vapory" and little kids look at you and marvel! :thumb:
P
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

J

john1

I used to care about calling it decals but anymore i just say stickers. If your talking to a auto shop or someone who wants a bulk run of something to promote themselves it's stickers. If it's a vehicle i say vehicle advertising. It's all the same damn thing for the most part, Depends on what value you put with it in what you call it.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I normally don't give a flip unless I hear the words "vinyl crap" ... I can't even tell you how much that infuriates me, specifically in the sentence "Hey, tell me about that vinyl crap that you do." or "What do you charge for that vinyl crap?" Makes me want to burn their pets.

Now, really the only ones that want "stickers" are the ones wanting something small, so I've used that as an identifier as to profit potentials. Also, if they say stickers over and over and over .. I will simply say "Well ... it's not really a sticker. Stickers are printed either with an offset printer or by silk screen onto a paper backer with a laquer based adhesive. ... this is pressure sensitive vinyl so the simplest term I would use would be Vinyl Graphic or Vinyl Decal"

Jillbeans

I call em decals, deckles if I'm feeling Canadian.
I don't care what people call them, I just want money.
Love....Jill

boxerbay

I use decals but stickers does not offend me. since we also do print on paper work my next question is usually what type of material do you what your "sticker" printed on? If they say paper it is going over to print side if they say vinyl i keep the call.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I don't have this problem with vinyl semantics anymore. Although, for the record, I always thought "stickers" was right up there with customer's perception of early vinyl letters as being "tape" letters (as in "I don't want those damn tape letters. Either paint my truck or I go elsewhere"). You see, for some of us there was a time where WE had to directly introduce vinyl into the market and educate customers about its benefits. I'm not surprised in the least vinyl has become denigraded to the point of being merely stickers in customers vocabulary. They think of "sticker places" as being a dime a dozen and nearly that cheap. In my early retirement, I've gone back to nothing but hand lettered signs and am amazed at the volume of work I'm taking on. And I have the added benefit of customers who have seen their cheap vinyl signs fail miserably after a few years in Texas sun. My plotter gathers dust bunnies all over it anymore. I long ago sold the Edge printer. I'd encourage any of you sign painters to start pushing hand lettering again. I was incredibly reluctant to at first - figure it would be a total waste of time. I won't say how many hundreds of dollars worth of hand lettering I have booked right now, it would come off as self serving. But I will say this, the profit margin on it is exponentially higher than vinyl... and profits are what this trade has always been about to me. Sadly, not true anymore for way too many vinyl jockeys.

Craig Sjoquist

Could care less what they call them. I only sell vinyl of any type when it is the best option either customer request, surface, complexity, size and I make profit since to me paying for a roll of vinyl compared to buying a can of 1 Shot is what I look at.

petepaz

I call em decals, deckles if I'm feeling Canadian.
I don't care what people call them, I just want money.
Love....Jill

they can call it what ever they want just pay me.
we generally say decals or labels.
decals (window decals, service decals, bumper stickers, larger items)
labels(ser.no. labels, roll labels, UL labels, smaller items)

Marlene

After the guy took off I asked him why he gets all pissed at the term sticker. He wouldn't really answer me, but it got me thinking. If someone calls something I did a sticker, I will refer to it as a decal.

Just curious how many people dislike the term sticker when affiliated with their business.

I'm OK with a customer calling it a sticker as they have no reason to know the correct term. what I hate is when a "pro" calls it that as they should know better.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How 'bout shelf liner custom made to any shape of your desire ?? And....... in any color these days.

marcsitkin

Just did a job for a customer who requested white vinyl removable window stickers. Very small, going on windows at car dealers to advertise a service. Printed them, contour cut them and delivered them. The customer is now upset because although they go on and come off smoothly and cleanly, he can't reuse them because they distort on removal.

It's all in the vocabulary!

Tony Q's Kidd

Sticker makes me cry. I do hand cut stuff for my buddies all the time. I was with a few at a car show out here and a kid approached me and asked for a vinyl decal, i said no prob, he hands me a picture, i free hand it (god bless the grease pencil) cut it up threw it on and he paid me. Next dude saw me and asked for the same thing, i drew a few tribles for him, he picked one and when i told him the price for a side car job he lost it and called me a glorified sticker maker. I said thats fine, guy beside him said "i'll take those if he doesnt want em" i offered it to him ant half the price i just quoted the first guy :)
life of a sticker maker lol

Tony Q's Kidd

oh, and i call em
Heat forged, manually applied naturally coloured adheasive art peices :)
or decals. Depends on how much i wanna make that day