• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your design level...

Dan Antonelli

First, I'm been humbled to have been mentioned in this thread.

Rick is right, I made the decision to change the focus and direction of the business. That decision, roughly, coincided with the birth of my twins, and a wife who wasn't working. All the sudden - the whole 'As long as I'm lettering trucks I'll be happy and I don't care what I make' mentality went out the window.

Very early on, I was taught by a sign painter who taught me to make every job good enough to appear in the pages of SignCraft. He considered that the 'bar' to be reached. And that always stuck with me, and to a degree, still does.

Yes, it's a hard bar to reach day in and day out. The bottom line is if you choose to have anything leaving your shop that is 'good enough', chances are, it's not.

For those who don't get SignCraft, my article this month touches upon some of that. You can read it here - download the first article: http://www.graphicd-signs.com/html/articles.htm

And keep in mind, we all start somewhere. Maybe my next article should focus on some of my earlier work from 15 years ago - and we'll all have a few good laughs!

Also regarding us doing commercial work - our mainstay of business is still small businesses - landscapers, contractors, 5-10 employee companies. Honestly, the corporate work I find relatively stifling and uninteresting.

Rodi

I think there is no shame in making functional commercial signs. What is sad is when layout rules are broken for the sake of "cool" and legibility is sacrificed for special effects. I like nothing more than to see a "plain" sign which really pops, even if it is just a FOR SALE sign. That, to me, is the essence of good design.
Love....Jill
Could not agree more!

Great design is usually simple design. It solves problems that need to be solved. there are times to use gadgets and technology and fashion, but for the most part really thinking is involved to make the piece well thought out. It is hard.

astro8

Could not agree more!

Great design is usually simple design. It solves problems that need to be solved. there are times to use gadgets and technology and fashion, but for the most part really thinking is involved to make the piece well thought out. It is hard.

I agree with both Rodi and Jill.

One of my favourite design exercises is when I'm given 10 pages of an illegible handwritten mess to transform into an attractive, legible, readable menu sign.

stickasteve

I think every artist has their own style, and everyone can learn from other if the artist is willing to be taught or to teach. My style is on the darker side of art, and I struggle every day to conform to advertising. I got my ass handed to me last night and took a lot of things personally because being an artist I am passionate about what I do. Even down to the cut and paste.

I believe that with each different media (business cards, signs, wraps, paintings, t-shirts, etc...) There requires a certain structure for each. Different items are more important to have stand out.

I too am a self taught artist who started with a pen and a sketchbook. I've worked up to photoshop and Illustrator from Corel Draw and doing t-shirt separations. I'm also trying to run a business and some days I'm much better at one than the other.

I personally could use a tudor in a lot of areas because in this day and age it's real hard to make it.

To answer the question where do I feel I fall in the scope of design? I feel I fall short, because I over think most projects.

Designing signs is easy to me because signs are made to be simple.

I put my heart into my work which gets me defensive when my work is criticized (right Stacy? LOL) I use the tools I can afford, and have some success, and some failure, but I am always willing to learn and push forward. I am also detail oriented which seems to make me take longer to do a project.

I feel the people on here who are good at what they do make it look easy, but then again, I have no idea how long it takes to do each project. I personally have a lot to learn and am looking for help with both business and design. Anyone with advise it would be appreciated.

Jillbeans;657385 I think there is no shame in making functional commercial signs. What is sad is when layout rules are broken for the sake of "cool" and legibility is sacrificed for special effects. I like nothing more than to see a "plain" sign which really pops said:
at least once a week i find myself repeating a conversation that i have had countless times with new designers or a new consultation client, or just a sign shop asking my input on a project.

"every project that comes through your doors on a day to day basis is not going to be a portfolio piece. a new designer should focus on making the simple projects look right...the directional signs, for sale signs, etc..the bread and butter projects that make up a good portion of the work that is going to come through the doors of the average working shop. it is difficult for many unseasoned designers to make the simple look 'right' they are tempted to utilize unnecessary techniques/effects in an attempt to excercise their creative talents and unfortunately they usually fail to create a piece that conveys the message they were attempting to deliver...it is difficult to make the simple look good."

myself i am a competent designer within a certain style. i see so many designers that try to be everything to everybody, very few of them pull it off. i have yet to encounter more than a handful who can truly pull off designing for the teen demographic and then change hats and effectively reach the corporate world.

this is not as noticeable in the sign world because of the scope of our work but it becomes quickly apparent when moving into other types of media (web, print, radio/tv, etc)..where the content needs to target a specific audience, engage them, convey the intended message and ultimately generate desired results. in the sign arena for the majority of projects we really only touch on the psychology that is involved

Pat Whatley

iam 1 step above PAT THE PLUMBER.......hahahahahahahahahha
Well at least you've got that going for you.

I'm a hack, little more than a glorified type setter. Every stinking morning I spend half an hour cruising through design sites looking at simple, brilliant solutions to design problems and realize that I'd never have come to that solution.

signgal

Don't feel bad, Pat... I come to work every morning and cringe when I see my neighbor's brilliant window and tenant signage. We were underbid on the job and the owner and signguy are from the same country (besides the point). He not only got the cheapskate to go for 3 colors, he came up with a brilliant, simple solution to a long a$$ business name and added sophistication to an otherwise un-sophisticated business. It sticks in my craw, I'd never have come up with anything remotely as good!

serves as a great reminder to keep me humble and learning :)

Marlene

I've been thinking about the answer to this and I would also have to say that I am no where at the level of some of our memebers here. I've had some college level learning for design but mostly self taught by going to semiars, reading, and signs101. the site here has been such a great resource as when a layout is posted, eyes of all kinds of levels take a look and then post their thoughts. it is such a value to read the whys behind the "doesn't work" posts as well as the reasons why it does work. we go over everything from shadows and light sources to fonts, colors and the little tiny details that make or break a design. so I guess that I'm a designer of 23 years who is daily learning mode.

Circleville Signs

I've read this thread a few times and finally decided to jump in :) It's tough to assign a level to yourself. You don't want to sound cocky, and you dont' want to be overtly self-deprecating.

So, with that in mind, on a scale of 1-10, I'd say I'm an overall 7, and when it comes to logo/branding, I'd give myself an 8.5.

I tend to be one of those people that can very easily get caught up in the "fancy" stuff. using alot of textures and background elements, when I'm doing sign work. Especially if I have a client who is really into that stuff.

I'm much more in my element when it comes to branding and logo design. I can knock out logos and CIP stuff all day long, and do a pretty good job of it (I'm no Dan Antonelli, but I think I can hold my own..lol).

I agree with alot of other people that this site is just a WEALTH of information and inspiration.

Gary

Flame

I am a good sign designer. I can make a pretty durn good 10 minute layout that'll best my competitors 2 hour sketch. Anything beyond that, marginal at best. I am not a great high end logo designer so that is what I am working my hardest at perfecting.

I can't lay out copy if my life depended on it. If you want a fancy newspaper, sorry, not me. No paragraphs... so don't jump into web work much.

If Dan is a 6 I don't even want to give myself a number. lol.

Dan Antonelli

OK. I'm a solid 6 - not just a regular 6.

Hey, as soon as you think you've reached the top, you get flat and then mistakenly believe there's nothing left to shoot for.

I suck on so many levels at things, things I know I can do better if I work harder, study more, and continue learning. Could be obsessive compulsive disorder as well.

Gotta get back to work. There's gotta be a logo around here that I can make better :)

OldPaint

sorta gota look at your position in this like a POTTERY CONE FIRING CHART. goes like this.
1 - being the center from 2000 -2109
2 -........................from 2034- 2127
10- .......................from 2284-2400 DEGREES F!!!!
now it also goes the other way,in decline, from 01 to 022:
01- from high of 2088 down to 2000
02 - from 2053 to 1972
022 - from 1094-1087 degrees.............
so if dan is a STRONG 6.............(in my thinking hes more of a 10) iam a 2-3.

Craig Sjoquist

Remembers thinking I'm great designer of advertising ... then I woke up even though schooled and working with others and all these 35 years ..yes above average but well below the best sad to say but I keep learning and get better

DIGITAL360

You have to have confidence in yourself & believe yourself that you can be the one of the best out there. you dont need to go to school to learn. learn on your own if you have to. i know alot of graphic designers that havent gone to school & are much better then the designers i know that went to school for 4 years & are getting the real big contracts from large companies while the guy that went to school is scrapping for change cause he limits himself what the teacher taught him.