• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your design level...

OldPaint

You have to have confidence in yourself & believe yourself that you can be the one of the best out there. you dont need to go to school to learn. learn on your own if you have to. i know alot of graphic designers that havent gone to school & are much better then the designers i know that went to school for 4 years & are getting the real big contracts from large companies while the guy that went to school is scrapping for change cause he limits himself what the teacher taught him.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
did you ever learn english????? and that comin from me!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChristianSlager

hmmm rate myself huh?
How about I say that I'm a Gerber IVb to Dan's Versacamm? ;-)

Naw, I have had enough time to become pretty good, although I do have problems coming up with multiple options for projects... I just "see" it right off the bat, and then I'm spent as far as ideas go. Not a good problem to have when doing logo design.

And Joe Diaz is my hero. ;-)

luggnut

there are different kinds of designers too.. not just levels. some have a style or nack for somethings that others don't. compare john deaton to dan antonelli they have different strengths and weaknesses ... but both are excellent at their craft. i think it is important to understand what your strengths and weaknesses are and use that in your day to day work. if you can hire someone to do things you are not strong at... dan antonelli pointed out here that his strong points are in text and fonts manipulation and has hired illustrators to come up with graphics, it does look to me like he's found a winning formula.

i still struggle at times with clean yet clever corporate identity but consider myself a better cartoonist/artist... know who you are and work on the things you need to improve on and don't be afraid to hire out stuff you are not the best at.

DIGITAL360

Oldpaint your the guy who gives ever sign guy a bad name. i already painted a picture of you as a "FLY BY NIGHT" sign guy who works out of his basement !!! LOL

OldPaint

Oldpaint your the guy who gives ever sign guy a bad name. i already painted a picture of you as a "FLY BY NIGHT" sign guy who works out of his basement !!! LOL
SON(this said in a foghorn leghorn voice)I GOT more talent............and ability......FORGOTTEN ABOUT, in my life............THEN YOU WILL HOPE TO HAVE......you paint????HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
BY NUMBERS?????HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA MAYBE......

Checkers

Rate yourself at whatever level you want but promise yourself to always try to be even better on the next project.

Although peers are important, the ultimate judges of your design talent are your clients.

Checkers

DIGITAL360

SON(this said in a foghorn leghorn voice)I GOT more talent............and ability......FORGOTTEN ABOUT, in my life............THEN YOU WILL HOPE TO HAVE......you paint????HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
BY NUMBERS?????HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA MAYBE......

I paint,Tattoo & draw free hand. You know nothing about me so dont know why you have a big mouth. It shows your LOW CLASS!!! LOL

Lau Designs

I must say that this is a difficult thing to measure. Especially since the person responding is representing them selves. I have met many artists and some think that what they do is the greatest thing since sliced bread when in fact there work is very much mediocre or horrible. I guess it falls into the whole American Idol scenario. So many people think that they are great because there friends and family tell them they are so. When in fact they are darn right horrible.
It's too bad, but then you have the other end of the spectrum where the artist is exceptional but doesn't want to believe that what they do is great. I find that some of the best artists out there are very humble and always feel as if there is room for improvement. If you stop learning then what fun it to do what you do. Once you stop learning everything becomes more routine like and I find most artist hate routine. I think that's the quickest way to get burnt out. The nice thing about design is that it's infinite in the elements, techniques and imagination.
Since this question was warranting my perspective on my abilities I will gladly give it to you. I am an artist at heart who picked up the elements of design at a community college where I received a certificate in graphic design. My abilities in illustrator are decent and photo shop I can hold my own. I would like to think that my design skills are good. I wouldn't say that I am a Picasso by no means but can do a good job when called upon to do so. I love to learn and am always looking for new tools, techniques, and medias to take my designs to the next level. I am happy with the work I put out but always look for ways to improve. The artists that excel in my eyes are the ones that can let other experienced professionals critique their work and not be defensive about it. Take what people have to say into consideration a come up with the best solution.

Sorry for being so long winded but that's my .02

stephenj148

I don't really know how to rate myself either. I'm 20 years old, in college trying to graduate with a Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts (BFA Graphic Design).

I work mostly with motocross graphics and lettering, some sign work. I think my problem is that I'm trying to learn to many things at once by teaching myself from online, and it's making me frustrated..

I was never that artsy, I struggle a lot with hand drawing and coming up with new, creative ideas. or I think so..

I have a hard time relaxing and just going with something that I just start doing. In many cases if I don't like the way it starts out looking, I trash it. Which is something that I need to learn how not to do..

So I'm in the low ball of ratings somewhere for now. Hopefully getting out of the funk soon....