• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your GOOGLE listing. I've had it

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Junk phone calls have officially got out of control. WTF is going on? Used to be 2 or 3 a day...I'm up to 7 or 8 a day and I block them but they are different numbers. One day I'll pick up the phone and start cussing and it will be an actual customer.

Yes problem is everywhere. I get 20-30 on a good day 50 on a bad day. Mostly pharmaceutical sprinkled with many google listings in there. Nothing you can do except change your number. One problem with blocking all the numbers is that sometimes they use a real number from a company or person who still uses that number on the daily. They basically use a machine that picks a random number that is not in use. They are able to use just about any number not currently on a phone call. If you blocked every call you could be blocking potential customers that might try to call one day.

unclebun

I got one the other day that was imploring me that this was my final call and that my Google listing would forever be inadequate if I didn't press 1. So I pressed 1 and when the person answered, I unloaded on him how glad I was that this had been my final call and that they were never going to call me again. I didn't let him speak. My annoyance at the almost-constant Google listing calls that day spilled out into a 2 or 3 minute soliloquy. He seemed stunned and stumbled trying to respond, so then I just hung up.

equippaint

Don't answer the random calls, just let them hit voicemail and it will slow down. I think there are apps that help too.

AdamSok

Junk phone calls have officially got out of control. WTF is going on? Used to be 2 or 3 a day...I'm up to 7 or 8 a day and I block them but they are different numbers. One day I'll pick up the phone and start cussing and it will be an actual customer.

It is highly frustrating. On one hand you don't want the call to go to voicemail and possibly lose a sale, on the other the solicitors and robocalls are maddening. We've tested using an answering service (waste of money), and ultimately went with an auto attendant as part of our voip service. New callers press 1 for sales, and customers know our extensions. Still get some solicitors, but thats way down, and robocalls are practically gone.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It is highly frustrating. On one hand you don't want the call to go to voicemail and possibly lose a sale, on the other the solicitors and robocalls are maddening. We've tested using an answering service (waste of money), and ultimately went with an auto attendant as part of our voip service. New callers press 1 for sales, and customers know our extensions. Still get some solicitors, but thats way down, and robocalls are practically gone.
Very good idea, I'll look into this!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What happens when the same person answers every extension? Sorry you've reached sales, let me transfer you over to accounts receivable... then hang up on them. That will make it look legit.
For sales, project management, fabrication, installation and accounting, press 1... for accounts payable and all other inquires, please hangup and dial 1-888-FAST SIGNS

untitled

I think I am in the minority here but I actually don't mind getting these calls. It actually brings a little bit of joy to my day. I normally get the ones for health care insurance and lower your credit card interest rates. I actually have fake name with a proper sequential credit card number and fake expiry and 3 digit code and address to mess with those guys. The health care ones, I usually go for signing up every time and then when it's nearing the end of the conversation, I will ask them if I no longer have to pay as much income tax to CRA now that I have my own insurance. They usually don't understand and I mess with a bit more until they realize I am in Canada. They usually hang up.

The more you mess with them I think the less calls you will get. Even when you do answer after about 15 seconds they just hang up, so I am pretty sure they keep a database of responses for numbers. Since it's a robo dialer, they actually have to read the notes that come up after the call is connected. I would get 3-4 a day on my cell phone and now they hardly ever call. It's kind of sad really.

The other good ones are the CRA (IRS in the US) agents that call and tell you there is a warrant for your arrest. I once had the guy on the phone for 45 minutes. (Wasn't a busy day). Or the Microsoft tech support guys are fun as well.

The best is though I managed to have an email scammer once send 800 euro to my paypal account. It's a long story how I managed to do it, but it wasn't his money. He scammed someone and then had the money sent to me and I was supposed to send it to him and I keep a portion. Which yes I know I would have gotten screwed on it because of my paypal account, however I contacted the person who actually sent the money and explained to him that he almost lost his money because of this scammer, but I sent it back to him. Yes this sounds unbelievable, however I have the emails to prove it happened. The Nigerian scammer put a curse on me after that. However it didn't seem to work out. I am pretty sure he got a in a lot of trouble for that, since these guys usually have to pay someone higher up when they succeed.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think I am in the minority here but I actually don't mind getting these calls. It actually brings a little bit of joy to my day. I normally get the ones for health care insurance and lower your credit card interest rates. I actually have fake name with a proper sequential credit card number and fake expiry and 3 digit code and address to mess with those guys. The health care ones, I usually go for signing up every time and then when it's nearing the end of the conversation, I will ask them if I no longer have to pay as much income tax to CRA now that I have my own insurance. They usually don't understand and I mess with a bit more until they realize I am in Canada. They usually hang up.

The more you mess with them I think the less calls you will get. Even when you do answer after about 15 seconds they just hang up, so I am pretty sure they keep a database of responses for numbers. Since it's a robo dialer, they actually have to read the notes that come up after the call is connected. I would get 3-4 a day on my cell phone and now they hardly ever call. It's kind of sad really.

The other good ones are the CRA (IRS in the US) agents that call and tell you there is a warrant for your arrest. I once had the guy on the phone for 45 minutes. (Wasn't a busy day). Or the Microsoft tech support guys are fun as well.

The best is though I managed to have an email scammer once send 800 euro to my paypal account. It's a long story how I managed to do it, but it wasn't his money. He scammed someone and then had the money sent to me and I was supposed to send it to him and I keep a portion. Which yes I know I would have gotten screwed on it because of my paypal account, however I contacted the person who actually sent the money and explained to him that he almost lost his money because of this scammer, but I sent it back to him. Yes this sounds unbelievable, however I have the emails to prove it happened. The Nigerian scammer put a curse on me after that. However it didn't seem to work out. I am pretty sure he got a in a lot of trouble for that, since these guys usually have to pay someone higher up when they succeed.

You have more time on your hands then I do!

unclebun

And then you get a bill for $200 for some type of "consultation," because pressing 1 meant you agreed to the terms. Also means you'll get added to a list of people that will answer and should expect more phone calls. Congratulations, you played yourself.

Actually, no. No bill. No charge. And I'm already on the list of people who answer, since I answer every call. Even if you don't press 1, you are on the list. Even if you wait to the end of the message and press to be removed, you are on the list as having answered. Even if your answering machine gets it, you are on the list. They never take you off the list, ever.

Billct2

I have had some scam calls that are so well done it's amazing. One was that my power was going to be turned off because I hadn't paid to have my meter upgraded and if it was disconnected it would take up to 48 hours to be restored. Well the power company is upgrading meters in this area...but I rent, so I told the guy I hadn't received a notice and it would probably be my landlords responsibility. He said it's the responsibility of the person who receives the bill and the notices were in with the bills for the last 6 months. All sounds legit...then he says he can't take a payment over the phone, I have to go to one of the stores that accepts utility payments and gives me a couple local addresses. If I do that and have proof of payment when the truck arrives to disconnect I'll be OK....and here's the kicker the caller ID is the power company's phone number. So I call. and it is the power company,and I speak to a rep who tells me it's a scam and yes they use the real phone number. I google the addresses he gave me to go pay, they're bogus. Phone rings again, it's him wanting to know if I had the receipt because the truck was almost there. I said no and he was bogus, he said "Just look at the caller ID you'll see I am from the company" and I said yea, the company told me that was the scam...and he hung up. After I thought about, I was trying to figure out how it paid off. I think the key is he calls back well before he knows you would have had time to drive anywhere. Then he''l say something about making an exception for taking a credit card over the phone...and come to think of it, would the utility charge to upgarde a meter, probably not.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
And then you get a bill for $200 for some type of "consultation," because pressing 1 meant you agreed to the terms. Also means you'll get added to a list of people that will answer and should expect more phone calls. Congratulations, you played yourself.

I got billed years ago for a phone book website ad or something, and when I called to dispute it they said they had me on a recording saying "Yes" to them asking if I accept the charges. Well, that NEVER happened. I've for years recorded all my phone calls, and what I said "yes" to was them asking me if this was such and such sign company. They used my "yes" and made it sound like I agreed.

kanini

I never say "yes" anytime with any sales guy on the phone. Funniest was last week when some company called and offered Internet/Google/online advertising. I asked the guy why he tries to sell something he don't believe is working. "What do you mean" he asked. "Well, you go on about how efficient the Internet ads are etc. but here you are, calling me anyway. Why don't you stick to the Internet ads and if it's good I might see it and click on it one day".
"Uuuhhh... well... ehh..." and the conversation ended.
Same with Google ads, still get printed direct mail from them once a month, usually a letter and a postcard.

visual800

Ive had same number for 32 years and my robocalls got so bad I shut off the ringer, shut off the answering machine and started using cell phone, something i thought i would never do. unfortunately i have to keep that home line as my security system is tied to it. I was getting at least 15 calls per day 7 days per week, ringing late at night, it was insane.

Eric Butler

Never say "Yes" on the phone with an unsolicited sales call. They snip out the "yes" and try and bill you. The worst ones have pre-approved billing rights on your phone bill. They are the toughest to remove and since AT&T or Verizon get a kickback there is little interest from your phone company in removing the charge.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
For a short while when I was a teenager, I worked in a boiler room for one of the largest credit card companies. We never sniped out a "YES" but we were trained to say whatever we could before turning the recorder on and reading the sign-up disclosure. We were trained to say "cinnamon roll" instead of "So may I enroll". We had to read 3 paragraphs of text and you would speed-read and mumble over the important parts just enough so that the auditors would pass the sale.
Interesting experience working there, most were kids my age and the place was flooded with drugs.

The easiest were old people and folks that did not speak English...many from California. This was almost 10 years ago and the bank has since be called out on that practice and I think settled a fine with the government.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have an air horn app on my cell. I've been known to crank the volume and absolutely unload it into their ears, once i get a human.
Also fun to sneak up behind your GA.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivandigital.airhorn&hl=en_US

Also... I wish I was as quick on my feet as this guy... still one of the funniest pranks ever imo. NSFW.

When I was telemarketing, it was fun when people would engage and be silly with us. It is a VERY boring and repetitive job, so it was refreshing when we got to have an off the cuff conversation.