• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

yudu?? sheesh, whats next?

Techman

Now the makers of craipcut are offering the yudu,, a desk top screen printer...

you can see it at 4yudu dot com,,, wow. I just have to have one,,, not!!

Bigdawg

Just Me
I actually looked at this for someone... and it will work for the 10 or so shirts he does at a time every couple months (he cuts thermoflex now for them). He'll be using his heat press to set them.

The one answer I couldn't get is if it uses plastisol inks... I think it uses a proprietary ink but not sure... but if they are setting it with an iron - it's highly doubtful...

hate to say it... but I told him if it uses plastisol inks, it would work well for what he wanted - one color short runs... but if it uses some other crap ink that won't hold up to washing - it's his name they'll remember - not his equipment.

huh? how would you use an iron or a heat press to cure ink...let it hover above the shirt 'hoping' it somehow miraculously gets enough heat or just lower it and smear the ink around....

there was something similar to this in the '70-80's it may very well be the same thing just a little more modern.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I know... that's why I don't think it's plastisol...

but if it lasts as long as thermoflex, then it will be a comparable product - just a bit messier...

signmeup

I did silk screening in high school with equipement that make the Yudo look positively advanced. We had a wood frame and a sqeegee and hand cut the designs into a green transparent material bonded to mylar.....it gets a little foggy after that........

I think the Yudo is pretty slick.

diamondavenue

It uses a waterbased ink, plastisol has to reach ~320 to cure. The system is fine for people that want to create young kids/ joke shirts but just like the cricut they arent business machines. the issue is when people think they are. Ive gotten request for ink screens for this thing and vinyl for the cricut.

Replicator

They sell all-in-one screen printing setups at our local office supply stores : Staples, Office Depot, etc . . .

signmeup

I thought of a new tagline for the Yudu,

"All the excitement of screen printing without any of the quality!"
How about "nylon mesh is nylon mesh and a squeegee is a squeegee." A mega bucks setup still uses the exact same mesh and squeegee doesn't it?

3dsignco

Actually I would be Curious to how they are printing the screens.. This might work for doing Glass work.. I make many screens for just 1 pass of ink when I am doing a Gold on glass project so I get tired of cleaning my screen.. If you can just "Print" a screen use it once and throw it away that would actually be nice.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'll see if I can let you know how it works... someone I know is experimenting with theirs today... or so a little birdie told me... gonna have to call him tonight and see how it went...

Bill some of the glass guys i know cut emulsion film on the plotter and then use retensionable screens and just apply new mesh versus cleaning/reclaiming screens etc.

myself i would rather keep the burned screen (for glass work) unless it is a repair job, for future reprint.

3dsignco

Thanks Dan That's what I'm Doing now. But with wood frames I will have to look at the retensionable frames.. I am screnprinting challenged. Enough to be dangerous.

One thing you might know. UV Inks. Can they be cured by a UV Grow lamp. What I was thinking was. Do my screen then use UV inks on the glass then put it under the lamp to cure the ink.. Was thinking this might be faster then waiting for the enamel ink to dry and plus it wouldn't dry in my screen.