• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Zund / Oce Procut VS Summa flatbed cnc

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
we're looking at a new CNC to cut a range of media:
Corrugated plastic
PVC foam board
Aluminium Composite Materia
Banners
Papers
Cardboards
Also need roll media attachment.
and so on.

I have both available to purchase locally. Im not interested in other brands as local support is key,

Pros and cons with both?
They both have a roll media attachment.
Both have a router bit.

I plan to use onyx cut server?

We have an oce arizona so first option is the procut. So is there a reason to go summa?
I feel like they both offer the same stuff?

Thanks!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I wouldn't call it CNC, it's a Digital Cutter or something else.

It depends on your needs and your budget. Zund is probably what 1.5-2x price what Summa is?
Zund is more "well" or more expensive built and maybe "tougher". Summa is just fine as well but you get a little less like the wooden table. Zund I think has a steel one.
I would say Zund is more industrial than Summa.

Also the basic router that summa has is like a dremel. You can get a better one for some 10-15k money but Zund probably has the better one only.

kanini

We run the Summa F and I'd say its great value for money if you do mostly cutting and roll materials etc. Your main focus seem to be routing sheets and then I'd look at the Zund if that has a more sturdy router, just as balstestrat said. But if you're on a budget and looking for a machine that can do a little bit of everything then the Summa is a great choice.

jasonx

Summa will be cheaper. We've had our Zund for 8 years now. It's a workhorse. We run 12 hours a day on it most of the time. They hold their resale value really well as well.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Bly should have some opinions on owning a Zund/Procut as he runs one in conjunction with his Arizona.

Yeah im hoping he chimes in, im pretty sure he asked the same question years ago.

Summa will be cheaper. We've had our Zund for 8 years now. It's a workhorse. We run 12 hours a day on it most of the time. They hold their resale value really well as well.
Yeah just by looking at the physical build and the motors etc, the Zund looks far more capable.
I've seen the Zund in action many times with the canon guys. But not the summa, just on quick instragram videos.

ProColorGraphics

I have had my Summa F1612 for a little over 3 years now. I do love it!! Everything I have done has been great. The ONLY thing that is lagging is some router functions, more of the technical stuff. Which is 100% software limitations, which I am told will be made available in a future update. I have done everything from rolls of decals, cutting out banners, fabric, routing 19mm pvc, etc. It has all came out great.

FatCat

Another happy Summa F1612 owner here. Had our machine for just over a year now. It has cut everything you mentioned above and more without a hiccup.

I won't disagree the Zund is better built, and has a few unique options/features, etc. that the Summa does not. HOWEVER, when you consider the Zund is nearly twice the price, you really need to take into consideration if the added price will benefit you. Ask yourself how much you will actually run the machine - if you're running all day, every day, or multiple shifts like a big shop would, then I would say the Zund might be the best bet. However, if you're only running it about 20 hours or so each week, you could argue that the Summa makes more sense from a financial standpoint, which is what we did. I figure if we get to the point where the Summa can't keep up, I could always add another Summa, at basically the same price of the one Zund machine AND we would have double the output for the same price.

Again, just my opinion.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We added a Summa F1612 this summer. Definitely more cost effective than Zund or Esko and from what I've seen it's enough of a workhorse to keep up with our demands. We've used it for kiss-cut/die cut decals, trimming banners, prints, sintra, coroplast, routing acrylic and acm. I've recently started playing with routing wood just for fun and that's been interesting.

We print on a Roland XR-640, Mimaki UCJV and Oce Arizona and cut most jobs on the Summa. Like Procolor mentioned, the routing software end of things could definitely be improved, but as far as cutting out signs and letters it does the trick. I'm not sure how the Zund software and router options compare so can't really comment on that. Once you figure out the workflow and software, you'll find that it will cut things out more accurately and quickly than most people can do by hand, even on simple jobs.

We're happy with it so far and the value is good for what we paid - I just wish I had more work to feed it! Ironically we added it to streamline and speed up production and shortly after things slowed right down.

Good luck with your search - if you have any specific questions about the Onyx Thrive/Cut Server workflow between the Arizona and Summa let me know.

GB2

Old Member
Recently Colex has come to my attention while researching flatbed cutters

https://www.colex.com/

If anybody had anything to say about those in this conversation I think it would be a worthwhile comparison too.

Bly

The Procut/Zund was a big investment but is worth every cent.
It's super accurate and simple to operate.
I don't know anything about the Summa flatbeds.
We cut all the media Pauly mentions all day every day - rolls of vinyl and sheet after sheet of ACM.
You'll be surprised at how much work you can get out the door.

greysquirrel

Zund a small fortune but probably worth every penny, Esko fantastic tooling and software Colex best bang for the buck if you need finishing and routing, Summa great at finishing materials, falls a little short in routing...ultimately you need to figure out how much you want to spend and at a minimum get a virtual demo...I was down to Esko and Colex, if power was not an issue(I do not have 3 phase) I would have certainly been in an Esko. Having purchased the Colex, it does the job we need. max cut 2", 3hp router, solid table. I do more product finishing than routing, but I know routing will soon take the lead of finishing next year...

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Absolutely. I think the OP has to decide what their budget is. Both are great machines....for the price.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
I was told by our Zund tech, they won’t touch the Oce tables. Not sure how the two machines interface with each other, but I would get a quote directly from Zund as well.

Bly

I was told by our Zund tech, they won’t touch the Oce tables. Not sure how the two machines interface with each other, but I would get a quote directly from Zund as well.

They are the same machine just different software. The Oce software is written by Zund Scandinavia I think.
So choose who you want to service it - the Zund reseller or Canon.
Oce were slightly cheaper on my machine but I would have gone with them because I know their service is great.