• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Flatbed?

cwb143

Which Flatbed printer do you guys think is the best?
Using all these basic factors.
Cost,Maintenance,Ink,Size,Quality output,Speed,Materials.
roll fed built in or not.

Thanks for any input.
CWB

HulkSmash

Which Flatbed printer do you guys think is the best?
Using all these basic factors.
Cost,Maintenance,Ink,Size,Quality output,Speed,Materials.
roll fed built in or not.

Thanks for any input.
CWB

You looking for a true flatbed. (Moving Gantry)
Or a hybrid?

SebastienL

We have 2: Inca Columbia Turbo and Accuity...

Inca is scary fast, great for doing runs of 1000s of bus panels. Lots of maintenance and very expensive. It's as big as a bus also.

Accuity is less maintance, less expensive, built in roll-feed, and quality is better than the Inca.

They both print pretty much on anything. I guess you have to establish what you need first.

CS-SignSupply-TT

cwb143, since you already have the Jeti 3150 x2, what do you NOT like about it; what would you change; what are your customers requesting that you sub-contract rather than produce in-house; what would the BEST/DREAM machine have?

10sacer

C'mon - you can't ask that question without some parameters. Its like asking which is the best car, who is the best woman or what is the best beer.

You have to establish some gating items that need to be met before you even ask this question.

What is your budget?
What is your physical floor space?
How much sq. footage anhour do you need?
Do you need white ink/ Varnish? Light cyan or magenta (image quality issues)
How you gonna pay for it?
Do you want true flatbed, hybrid?
Do you need auto loading?
Do you want moving gantry or stationary head?
Are you concerned with UV lamp safety?
What is the printer control system?
What RIPs does it support?
Will it meet my current and proposed customer work?
WHat is service and support structure? What is service/support annual cost?
How much does ink cost? How is it packaged? How much ink (ml) does it use per square foot?

There's a thousand of them.

Your better question is which UV machines to stay away from... narrows down your list quite a bit.

Ponto

C'mon - you can't ask that question without some parameters. Its like asking which is the best car, who is the best woman or what is the best beer.

You have to establish some gating items that need to be met before you even ask this question.

What is your budget?
What is your physical floor space?
How much sq. footage anhour do you need?
Do you need white ink/ Varnish? Light cyan or magenta (image quality issues)
How you gonna pay for it?
Do you want true flatbed, hybrid?
Do you need auto loading?
Do you want moving gantry or stationary head?
Are you concerned with UV lamp safety?
What is the printer control system?
What RIPs does it support?
Will it meet my current and proposed customer work?
WHat is service and support structure? What is service/support annual cost?
How much does ink cost? How is it packaged? How much ink (ml) does it use per square foot?

There's a thousand of them.

Your better question is which UV machines to stay away from... narrows down your list quite a bit.

:goodpost: ...more and more shoppers kicking tires....

JP

10sacer

Drive down to SGIA in New Orleans next month. Every flatbed/UV device you can imagine will be there and running live. I am attaching a question sheet I developed way back in my sales guy days. Hope this helps...

SM

Attachments

• Questions for UV Printer Purchase_REV.doc
    31 KB · Views: 113

cwb143

Im really not directing this question to the salesmen its more for the users out there the experts that are on these machines everyday. They're the ones that know
the querks and

What is your budget $50,000 to $500,000
What is your physical floor space? 20' x 20'
How much sq. footage anhour do you need? 200 or better
Do you need white ink/ Varnish? Not unless it works really well.
How you gonna pay for it? We're in the market
Do you want true flatbed, hybrid? either
Do you need auto loading? not sure probably not.
Do you want moving gantry or stationary head? Moving gantry
Are you concerned with UV lamp safety? should I be I all ready have a flatbed
What is the printer control system? whatever it comes with
What RIPs does it support? Onyx10.1 3 more printers available
Mainly printing on styrene, ultarboard, cardstock, sintra.

10sacer

Ooops... wrong file. Here is the better one...

Attachments

• Questions for UV Printer Purchase_2.doc
    57 KB · Views: 134

10sacer

UV printers

Sorry... I probably come off as a sales guy, but I own and operate a flatbed everyday. I USED to be a sales weenie in my past, but I was also a technical manager and a color management trainer, too.

$50K - $500K is a little broad - don't ya think? If $500K is in your checkbook - then get the fastest Durst you can afford

Oops - fastest Durst won't fit into 20x20.

If all you need is 200 sq. ft. an hour - then you don't need to spend $500K - you are now in the $150K and under.

You don't need varnish. I don't know what you do - but we use our white ink 3 days a week on ACP, polycarbonate and corrugated.

You answer to flat or hybrid can't be either. Are you doing any 2-sided stuff? If yes - then you want flatbed.

At 200 sq. ft. an hour - you don't need auto loading.

If you have a machine and you aren't concerned with UV safety - then someone didn't research your Gandi too well. There are 2 types - open carriage and covered carriage. The guys that cover the heads and the bulbs care about your eyes and your skin. If you aren't concerned about this then it means you don't own the company and don't have to pay disability and workman's comp premiums.

Not all printer control software is as easy as you think.

Based on your answers - here ya go:

CET FK512
AGFA models
Oce 350 or 550 XT
Vutek QS2000 (used)
HP FB700

Maybe - and only if you want to go off the reservation:

GCC
Teckwin

Im really not directing this question to the salesmen its more for the users out there the experts that are on these machines everyday. They're the ones that know
the querks and

What is your budget $50,000 to $500,000
What is your physical floor space? 20' x 20'
How much sq. footage anhour do you need? 200 or better
Do you need white ink/ Varnish? Not unless it works really well.
How you gonna pay for it? We're in the market
Do you want true flatbed, hybrid? either
Do you need auto loading? not sure probably not.
Do you want moving gantry or stationary head? Moving gantry
Are you concerned with UV lamp safety? should I be I all ready have a flatbed
What is the printer control system? whatever it comes with
What RIPs does it support? Onyx10.1 3 more printers available
Mainly printing on styrene, ultarboard, cardstock, sintra.

We were looking at the Rho 800hs but at $810,000 makes one hell of a monthly payment.

We have plenty of capacity adding the 2nd QS and the 2 Jeti's.

Last edited:

cwb143

@10sacer and Merritt thanks for input. Wealth of knowledge you guys have. I used to run a Oce250 slower than tar on a cold day. As you know I run a AGFA 3150 a little faster machine. but always looking for faster. The UV lamps are low to the table and pretty much covered.
I only wear glasses half the time. Should I be more concerned? I've taking over this printer and was never trained. So I came here looking for answers. and I appreciate you guys for giving me some well thought out advice. My superiors will by another machine but Im tired of getting stuck with something they think is good. Cause Im the one who has to operate it. Yes we do alot of double sided stuff. so flat it is. We want used. and if white really works then ya if not don't bother.