• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chatterbox Designs Company ID interior sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatterbox

SIGNMEUP.

Very perceptive of you to make that comment. Maybe its a different animal in context.

You, my friend, are a genius. The genius of the day.

It is entirely really eye-catching as a DIMENSIONAL SIGN.

Most knuckleheads, who think they are sign people, wouldn't figure that out, if it knocked them in the head.

It's hilarious to hear these comments. It's comical.

chatterbox

For B Synder.

The LOGO is the CDP.

The entire DESIGN is a SIGN DESIGN. It is designed to be a 3-Dimensional sign with multiple layers. It looks awesome. The brushed aluminum design accents the entire piece.

Even as a non-illuminated sign, albeit, a company lobby I.D. moniker, it works very well.

Chatterbox is the trademark, and can also be used as a LOGO, in the sense that it is the BRAND.

Most sign people do not understand branding. Logo is a very loose term as MetroPCS does not have a logo, per se. But MetroPCS is the logo, although it is also the trademark.

Letter, given the style and coloring and layout, can very well be the LOGO. Logo, is a very loose term.

Thanks for your comments. Especially because your questions are asking for more information. Very good.

Make a better comment on more information. Very good grasshopper.

Flame

I am the director for Business Development

Not a designer.
Most sign people do not understand branding.

I have rebranded 100+ employee companies, from the ground up. Albeit cheaper than I should've, in hindsight 20/20... but I've done branding.

I am the lead designer of special projects.

egad how'd that happen?

I love to hear some people make remarks about things they do not know.

I don't know signage... uh huh... only job I've had. :p

We listen very good.

hmmm.... judging by the use of english may I assume it's a 2nd language?

If you could imagine, if you (meaning everyone who views the design), the sign as a material creation, you would see it as a SIGN DESIGNER sees it.

I own my own sign shop. And we're a smaller shop but have our own storefront with some dimensional signage and do alright in our economy. Nothing amazing, but I am being honest, I would not let a sign like you put together, out the door.

Now, I'm still assuming you're a troll and just looking to make trouble because we all know there are some big outfits cranking out high dollar, FUGLY signs... but that... is just a little too far.

So assuming you're a troll, I'm still playing along cuz it's my Saturday. :rock-n-roll:

Fitch

I have to agree with many of the comments.

MY opinion is it is awkward, unbalanced, confusing, and complicated. All of the things a sign should NOT be.

To offer a critique is easy but where do you start? In my opinion - start again, derive a theme and in terms of design and appeal - design to target the market you wish to be attracting. This is not a personal dig - but IMHO certainly would fall into the "nephew art" category.

Do you have a mentor or someone you "look uo to" in terms of design?

I hear LOUD and clear that you have done this and done that. Doesn't make you good. Just because someone can play a guitar doesn't make them a musician. Your justifications sounds like they are more based on salesmanship rather than design abilty. Maybe this one fell over? Do you have a website that we could look at to see a broader portfolio of your work?

Heck... I have never called myself a designer and I do it every day and have done for 15 years. I have so much to learn.

Possibly you could open yourself to some of the yes negative but honest comments posted so far. At the end of the day this is just not a good design and I would "fire" you as a supplier, and fire you as a designer if you seriously bought that to me with all your "experience" and genuinely thought is was good. It's not good - not even close.

May I suggest looking through the portfolio pages, the ones where EVERYONE is saying nothing but 100% positive comments and determine what it is about the logo or sign that is making the respondents remark in such a positive manner. Follow their lead and become an even better designer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

acothran

When I did video design/editing, I watched and studied commercials, movies, TV shows, and all other types of video to try to better my craft. Now that do graphic design I look at menus, magazines, magazine ads, and everything I can, especially from national brands to get ideas and better my craft. On Signs 101, the work of Dan Antonelli, Joe Diaz, Rick, and Jillbeans are some that quickly come to mind that create great designs.

Your sign/logo has too much going on: too many shapes, too many colors, bad gradients, poor font choice, bad outline/outline colors on that font, and the list goes on. It just doesn't look like a professional design (just put that in context with designs you see from national brands). I'm not saying this just for the sake of trying to put you down and I'm not saying I can do better. I'm just amazed that you would come to a forum like this, post a bad design, welcome critique/input and not even be humble enough to realize how bad it really is and want to correct it.

Good luck.

Allen

Pat Whatley

It gets them to stop and read.

You ever notice that every single person who posts a crappy looking layout, design, or (gads) wrap design uses that to defend it? Makes them stop and read?!

I'm not believing this is anything other than a troll until I see an actual photograph of this thing. If it looks so "tyte" on the wall then a picture should change everyone's opinion here.

Meanwhile...there's no way in hell I'm spending $150 for that book now.

CentralSigns

jobs so many, so little time

I have been the lead designer for three (3) electrical sign companies in Southern California. I have designed "freelance" for 20 sign companies in 4 states including Hawai

Dunno but seems lika lot of jobs. Did you say you were 20 or what, I cant remember. Maybe a good time to drop it Eh!!

Pat Whatley

He's going to be telling us how much money he makes getting illegal aliens to plant corn for him before this is all over.

mtmdesigns

i drive by flynn signs everyday, I think you will look back at this logo in a few years and get a good laugh out of it as I have looking back at how bad I was (I still suck) at designing/drawing logo's and understand these guys know what they are talking about.
Either take a few classes or just understand what you can't do and leave to the people with true talent, this will make your life easier.

I was in the same position as you a few years ago with a company that triples the production of flyn's so I know what you do exactly, no more light boxes allowed in the city of long beach, channel letters only i'f I was you I would stick to that.

weaselboogie

You ever notice that every single person who posts a crappy looking layout, design, or (gads) wrap design uses that to defend it? Makes them stop and read?!

How true.

This forum is very BLUNT and honest. People aren't slamming you just for the sake of slamming. You're getting some honest critiques because you have the guts to post it. Unfortunately, you're having a hard time handling the critiques and following it up with a 'I know you are but what am I" retort isn't making you any friends.

The bragging isn't helping you out either. No one cares and it's making you look like an even bigger douche. All it tells me is that you have managed to find shops that are less mediocre at this than you are.

Techman

Most sign people do not understand branding

I understand branding. I understand marketing better than 89% of the people here. Branding is a friend of mine, and brother ,, you ain't brander or marketer. gag!

chatterbox

B Snyder.

I seen your website. Looks very nice, corporate, branding stuff. Nice.

My design is not corporate. It is me.....simple, one person operation.

I think you need to consider that not all companies can be "CORPORATE."

Not every design can be HIGH END.

My design works for me. I get tons of work. I am stoked.

I wrote a book. I am doing well with it. I am giving people knowledge who would not otherwise have it.

As for your branding and designing, please consider this one simple premise, EVERY DESIGN YOU MAKE should be considered to........ONE DAY.........be made into a sign.

Don't falter on the bad example of METRO PCS, where the PCS is 1" thick stroke.

Most graphic designers, albeit, high paying, professional, educated, are a JOKE when it comes to SIGN DESIGN.

They don't get it.

The one number one myth GRAPHIC DESIGNERS have is...that SIGN DESIGN is easy.

My book SHATTERS that myth.

I have many graphic designers FLOORED when they read INSIDE SIGN DESIGN. Because most graphic designers think they can design signs.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Most designs we get from the Ad Agencies, Branding Agencies and Marketing Companies, and those arrogant Architects, CANNOT, emphasis added, CANNOT BE MADE into signage.

It is a reoccuring nightmare that we try to explain, to these people, who will not listen to reason.

So, that said, your site looks tyte. That's how we surfers say it in SO. CAL.

chatterbox

That's hilarious, TECHMAN.

You cannot even read your design. DIXIE LETTERHEADS.

And you talk about other people. That's insane.

Dude, post your design babay for all to see and comment on.

Got courage?

chatterbox

Thanks, Weasel Boogie.

Where are you from?

Do you know anything about publicity?

I know the industry I am in is close-minded. That is why there is no book on the subject of sign design.

Most people are paranoid that the knowledge will get out.

It is amazing. I have talked to hundreds of sign company owners, and have worked with dozens and dozens.

The old guard is going bye-bye.

And the new guard is coming in.

And you are witnessing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.