• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chatterbox Designs Company ID interior sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techman

You cannot even read your design. DIXIE LETTERHEADS.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH, make me laugh,,

That's not my design,

All I see is a sniper sniping away and filling up his post count.. I'm done.

iSign

That's how we surfers say it in SO. CAL.
ummm... we have a few surfers out this way...

...you can tell them, because they are in the water... not because they call themselves surfers every hour... you're kind of like that cowboy joke... "all hat, no cattle"

That's hilarious, TECHMAN.

You cannot even read your design. DIXIE LETTERHEADS.

And you talk about other people. That's insane.

Dude, post your design babay for all to see and comment on.

Got courage?

guess you must be psychic, since you say you can't read & then you tell us what it says. Well, lemmee tell you something... that is not a sign, that is a small sign kit Techman won as a prize at the Dixie letterheads meet, and it is hand painted creation that a hundred well known and respected sign artists were drooling over in Georgia that fall, hoping to take home with them. I saw it there & I won't say it puts your shyte to shame, because you aren't anywhere close to being in the same league.

You think you are the new guard we see coming?
...in yer hands dude

CES020

Threads like this are awesome and make me feel good :) They remind me that I don't suck as bad as I thought I did :Big Laugh

Farmboy

I know the industry I am in is close-minded. That is why there is no book on the subject of sign design.
Most people are paranoid that the knowledge will get out.

What!? There are tons of books on layout and design. Some have been published by a few of the good folks here.

The old guard is going bye-bye.
And the new guard is coming in.
And you are witnessing it.

Really. I guess your right. I have seen the new guard coming and going for years now. They all seem to have had your same level of skill and attitude. I will be honest as I have been in the past, I have no skills. Not like the people on here...but I do know good design. Try again

Techman

Lets take a page right out of a world famous system.
E-myth

What's a simple definition of your brand? It's what people in the marketplace think of your business.

When people encounter your business, your products, or your services they will either think negatively or positively, depending on your brand. Ultimately, it is your brand — people's perception — that determines if they will actually do business with you.

Does this thread fit this basic law of branding?

Joe Diaz

:doh:

Can you say:
train_wreck-782867.jpg

Or how about: "AFIPMO"
:popcorn:

GypsyGraphics

Chatterbox ... how unfortunate, taken down by your own pride and arrogance.

You should have just ridden the wave of success, afforded you by Rick's recommendation. He gave you credit where credit was due.

You missed a golden opportunity here... imagine the good that could have come from a post asking advice/critique, in an attempt to improve the very rudimentary layout (and copywriting) of your book.

You don't know what you don't know, and obviously, don't want to. With that kind of attitude...
better to have kept the Chatter-IN-THE-Box!

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

Most graphic designers, albeit, high paying, professional, educated, are a JOKE when it comes to SIGN DESIGN. They don't get it.

The one number one myth GRAPHIC DESIGNERS have is...that SIGN DESIGN is easy. My book SHATTERS that myth.

I have many graphic designers FLOORED when they read INSIDE SIGN DESIGN. Because most graphic designers think they can design signs. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Your sweeping generalizations, myth busting abilities and professionalism are underwhelming, to say the least, as are your design skills.

ProWraps

the first thought that came to my mind, was the countless amounts of money that your attitude has lost you in regards to your book sales. with ricks post, you had a gold mine. now your lucky to mine coal.

Dan Antonelli

Here is some feedback; hopefully it's constructive.

The design lacks a proper focal point. Most elements are equal in priority, which means none stand out as primary and secondary copy. Color scheme aside, I'm not sure this is really a 'logo', as it doesn't really work well as such. As a sign, maybe - although it is really awkward. The letterstyle for ChatterBox is really odd for a company that does branding -- looks amateurish, especially sitting next to Eurostile Extended. And you have 3 fonts in play here; generally not a good idea.

Normally, you wouldn't use INC in a logo.

It's great if you like it. I just somehow think this look would not be something that inspires confidence for other small business owners.

Just my two cents :)

daveb

General Know-it-all
What we have here is a college educated "Graphic Designer" that thinks he's a sign man. Probably about late 20's that still thinks everybody that's canned his butt is ignorant. I've fired a lot of people like you with the hope that the experience will teach you something. Obviously not in your case. I'll bet you've worked for a lot of sign shops, for about a month before you were canned. Yes young man you can probably talk a good talk, but your stuff stinks. Refuse to accept life's lesson at your own peril. I suggest another line of work, maybe the government, arrogance is a requirement there.

Best of luck in your new vocation

Dave

omgsideburns

Tony, from OMGsideburns.

Sarcasm is easy 5,000 miles away.

I can't quit my job. I do the job of 5 people at Flynn Signs & Graphics, Inc. in Long Beach, CA. A company that has been in business for 70 plus years.

I write Gov't proposals. I just help win back the Edison International account. The number one utility company in the United States. And help win back the LA County Fire Department account, with over 100 fire departments. Quit my job. WHAT KIND of job do you do?

I am the lead designer of special projects. Did the design for the Orange Coast Yachts in Newport Beach, plus a host of others.

I love to hear some people make remarks about things they do not know.

Amazing. Just amazing.

whoah there name dropper, don't get your panties in a wad cause a kid from florida said you suck.

Mason

Chatterbox, visited your website this morning after perusing much of what transpired here. I have to say that a body of work would have been good to see there given the manner in which you represent yourself. Do you have a body of work? or are you expecting screen caps of proposals to substitute for the real thing?

Marlene

Please give your feedback on the design.

why did you post your "logo" for feedback???? I never understand a person who does that then comes back with "I love it" as it is clear that you do not want any feedback at all. well, I love it too, print it everywhere, it is the best logo I have ever seen, the colors are fantastic, the fonts, outstanding, love that you were able to include every shape known to mankind.

andy

All negative publicity is publicity.

If you could imagine, if you (meaning everyone who views the design), the sign as a material creation, you would see it as a SIGN DESIGNER sees it. I should have qualified that this sign will only be used as an interior company I.D. sign in my office.

But of course, we know, SIGN DESIGN does not even have a definition. It does not have a school, formal, or otherwise. People, most, do not ENVISION a design as a 3-d creation. They cannot understand dimensional material and colors and how they will come together to make something really nice.

Look at all the "BAD" signs around town.

MY BIO:
I have been the lead designer for three (3) electrical sign companies in Southern California. I have designed "freelance" for 20 sign companies in 4 states including Hawaii.

I just asked for a honest opinion. And I get "hate" mail. There is a difference in constructive criticism, other than "hate." It sounds more like people are vilifying the design. Some have given constructive criticism. I accept that. Thanks Jaime, Orange Park, FL.

AS A DIMENSION SIGNS, this sign is to be:
Non-Illuminated, 1/4" thick FCO "black" acrylic main "Rectangle" backer panel with flame polished edges.

"Triangle" backing to be 1/8" thick fco brushed aluminum screwed into main backer panel.

CDP "square" (LOGO) to be 1/8" thick FCO "white" acrylic with full color digital print graphic overlayed flush mounted to main backer panel.

Both horizontal stripes (on main backer panel) to be 1/8" thick FCO brushed aluminum flush mounted to rectangle panel. All four (4) subcopy "rectangles" to be 1/4" thick FCO "clear" acrylic" with vinyl copy, 1st surface. Screw in from 2nd surface, screws are visible.

Main surface "rectangle" sign panel to be full color digital printed graphic and overlayed. Main surface rectangle to be flush mounted to main backer with VHB silicone.
Main copy: "Chatterbox" to be 1/4" thick FCO "white" acrylic with opaque vinyl overlayed and flush mounted with VHB silicone. Subcopy: "Designs" to be 1/8" thick FCO "black" acrylic with "white" vinyl overlayed and flush mounted with VHB silicone.

Rectangle "stripe" on main panel to be 1/8" thick FCO brushed aluminum flush mounted to main panel with VHB silicone.

"Publishing" to be "grey" opaque vinyl overlayed onto main "black" acrylic backer.

PUT IT IN MY OFFICE, baby......

I would agree that a dimensional sign is pretty hard to demonstrate using a print on a flat piece of paper... perhaps you should look at creating 3D layouts which clearly show all the dimensional effects you are proposing... translating a flat design into a 3D proposal isn't all that difficult even in a basic package like Corel.

All that said.... I can't agree that a stinky design can be totally transformed simply by bolting her up with bucket loads of dimensional bells and whistles.

I've made more fancy dimensional and illuminated signs than I care to remember.. the stinkers stand out because I remember looking at the paper design and thinking "man, that's vile"... after making the sign I can also remember standing back and thinking "man, that's still vile".

I make things to other peoples designs all the time and I prefer not to start trying to "educate" people... if you love a stinky design then more power to you.... taste is a very personal thing.

From how you've described your sign I think the Black and Brushed metal would work very nicely together.... what I hate is faded digital prints because it makes everything look very cheap and pretty nasty. For my own taste less is more and class trumps garish attention seeking.

Anyway, post a pic of the finished sign so we can have a better look at the dimensional effects... some of them sound pretty good.

signmeup

The finished sign is flat. There is no dimensional version. He printed it and stuck it on Sintra. Eight times.

Status
Not open for further replies.