• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customers in production areas

gnubler

For insurance reasons I'm not supposed to allow customers into the production area. My agent told me to put up a sign, but people walk right past it. I had a guy come in yesterday, never met him before, and he strode right through the customer entrance area and got halfway back into the shop until I was able to lead him back to the front counter. I've had enough of this. I personally don't want people poking around my work tables to see what I'm working on.

For reference my shop is one big open garage 60 feet long. I have an area set up at the front entrance with a counter and a table & chairs for visitors, but no physical barriers beyond that. All work tables & equipment is on casters so I can move things around when I bring vehicles in, and because of that am hesitant to frame out actual walls to make a closed lobby. I thought of directional floor decals but they don't stick to my painted floor. Maybe some rolling partitions to close off the space?

How are others dealing with this in their shops?

gnubler

I thought of that too, but don't want it to look tacky or ghetto.

Immediately after I posted this a customer came in and I actually asked him to come back to the work table because his order was stacked up on it. So part of the issue is me...
FedEx/UPS delivery people also always drop packages in the production area. I need a better entrance/receiving setup.

JBurton

Signtologist
Could you use stanchions (is that how you spell it) and just rope it off?
My thought exactly, but rather just get the belts and mount them wall to wall, counter to counter, what have you.
Or just lock the door and put your number on the door, 'call for entrance'. Or a ring doorbell camera...
Or just the velvet rope with eye hooks to hang from, that's pretty snazzy if you ask me...
As for fed/ups, get a tub, put it outside with a sign that says as much.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Here the shop is separated, but there's just a partial wall between the reception area and the graphics area & offices. We get very little off the street business, but when people show up, there's no receptionist, so they usually just wander into the graphics area, unless the dogs greet them at the door (our four legged doorbells), then they kinda stay put. Get a dog or two :thumb:

gnubler

Would be nice to train the dogs to scare off the riff raff. I don't get a lot of walk ins either, but it seems like they need to be trained as well.

Rolling room dividers maybe? I think there's some than can be branded/printed, like for trade show displays.

classroom-partition-1024x704.jpg

gnubler

Build a cubicle around your front counter with a buzzer when the door opens.
This might be good too, even creating a "cubicle" surrounded with shelving or tables that blocks people from walking through. I don't want it to be a PITA to get through, like having to jump a table Dukes of Hazzard style to get out the front door. LOL

Stacey K

I like making signs
Good luck! Unless you lock yourself in a room certain morons will still insist on breathing on you.

I CLEARLY have a counter, with 4 stools - you cannot miss it and I sit behind it facing the door. The counter is like 20' long. I sit in the middle. The photo is taken at teh door. Certain people will walk around the counter and think they need to talk to me 2' from my chair. There just isn't much else I can do. Typically I stand up and meet them at the "corner" and I will then lean on the end of the counter to block them.

SUPER ANNOYING!!!!!! I came to the conclusion that people are idiots. The freaking stools are there for a reason, sit down or stand up but don't come hang out with me!

123.jpg

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Would be nice to train the dogs to scare off the riff raff. I don't get a lot of walk ins either, but it seems like they need to be trained as well.

Rolling room dividers maybe? I think there's some than can be branded/printed, like for trade show displays.

classroom-partition-1024x704.jpg
this could be a good solution. You could probably get a good deal on some used ones.

Boudica

Good luck! Unless you lock yourself in a room certain morons will still insist on breathing on you.

I CLEARLY have a counter, with 4 stools - you cannot miss it and I sit behind it facing the door. The counter is like 20' long. I sit in the middle. The photo is taken at teh door. Certain people will walk around the counter and think they need to talk to me 2' from my chair. There just isn't much else I can do. Typically I stand up and meet them at the "corner" and I will then lean on the end of the counter to block them.

SUPER ANNOYING!!!!!! I came to the conclusion that people are idiots. The freaking stools are there for a reason, sit down or stand up but don't come hang out with me!

View attachment 168557
I love that you have Stacey's sons landscaping logo up on the wall!

Edit, nevermind - for some reason I though Burton posted that. Reading too fast again. :doh:

gnubler

Stacey - that's kind of my situation too. I think without having tall or closed off walls, people feel the need to just walk right in. I don't get it. When I visit any kind of work shop (mechanic, metal shop, etc) I stay put at the entrance for fear of getting yelled at.

I'm going to shop around for some kind of partitions at least 6ft tall. If they can't be printed, maybe I could attach fabric prints or hang framed posters just so they look more visually appealing.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Six foot dobermans - You gotta let them know who's boss (though by the time you hung framed posters on them, they'll likely be compliant.

JBurton

Signtologist
Question for you two, can folks see your monitor without coming behind the desk?
Is that what they're really trying to look at? (I'm sure they're just lonely incels looking to crowd you ladies, but I have to ask)
Have you considered putting a second monitor at an angle that can be seen from the counter?

Our front counter is a surround on 3 sides, the 4th side is the hall. Folks don't tend to walk right around, they stop at the side and lean over, but at from the side they can see the monitor. Now it's not like any artwork is being done at the reception desk, it just gives both the receptionist and the customer a glowing rectangle to focus their awkward stares at instead of each other...

gnubler

My shop only has one door and my computer area is at the extreme opposite end as the entrance. I'm often at my desk, which I guess is why people attempt the sprint to the back of the shop causing me to jump up and herd them back to the front. I wish they would just stand at the counter like normal customers do at any other business.

Sometimes I do invite them back to the computer area if we have to look at something on screen, but I try to avoid that...hate people standing over my shoulder.

Rohit Prasad

WWW.COMPASSCOLOR.COM
For insurance reasons I'm not supposed to allow customers into the production area. My agent told me to put up a sign, but people walk right past it. I had a guy come in yesterday, never met him before, and he strode right through the customer entrance area and got halfway back into the shop until I was able to lead him back to the front counter. I've had enough of this. I personally don't want people poking around my work tables to see what I'm working on.

For reference my shop is one big open garage 60 feet long. I have an area set up at the front entrance with a counter and a table & chairs for visitors, but no physical barriers beyond that. All work tables & equipment is on casters so I can move things around when I bring vehicles in, and because of that am hesitant to frame out actual walls to make a closed lobby. I thought of directional floor decals but they don't stick to my painted floor. Maybe some rolling partitions to close off the space?

How are others dealing with this in their shops?
Print some floor graphics with "Employees only beyond this point".
That should do the trick.

Boudica

Ill wear the studded collar and on a leash if you or boudica are the handler. Woof
Come on up we're expecting snow. You can trot around the back forty with my dog and play in the snow. We'll be on the covered patio next to the fire pit drinking.