• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customers in production areas

ikarasu

You're not allowed to have people come into production area? We always have walk throughs and show people around... our insurance doesn't care, they just asked us to barrier off the heavy duty equipment so people didn't walk next to a CNC and get smacked in the face. We'd never let a customer just walk back without someone being with them though. But we don't have a rule against anyone bringing their customers, or friends, or family, or anything back - We constantly have peoples kids running around the shop!

https://www.uline.ca/BL_3924/Safety-Barriers These are expensive... But they work. We kept 2 of our floor level bay doors open in the summer to get some fresh air in, and people kept walking into the building (It's part of our warehouse we're not always around). We threw these up there... They didn't lock or anything, but people arent ballsy enough to push a big yellow gate open... knock on wood!

All the big stores who have forklifts (Costco, home depot, ikea, etc) Around here use them...so people have it in their brain to stay back when theyre closed - Super easy to open and get out of the way when you want to as well. They combine too, so you can make a really long one. You may be better off with a taller one though - https://www.uline.ca/BL_2530/Safety-Barricade-Gates

damonCA21

I find my face is generally enough to keep people at a distance :D if that fails shouting FXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXK OFF very loud works

DL Signs

Never go against the family

Attachments

• Moon after haircut.jpg
    Moon after haircut.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 132

Stacey K

I like making signs
Question for you two, can folks see your monitor without coming behind the desk?
Is that what they're really trying to look at? (I'm sure they're just lonely incels looking to crowd you ladies, but I have to ask)
Have you considered putting a second monitor at an angle that can be seen from the counter?

Our front counter is a surround on 3 sides, the 4th side is the hall. Folks don't tend to walk right around, they stop at the side and lean over, but at from the side they can see the monitor. Now it's not like any artwork is being done at the reception desk, it just gives both the receptionist and the customer a glowing rectangle to focus their awkward stares at instead of each other...
yes, I do have a monitor on the top of the counter that I turn around for customers to look at. I just don't understand what people are thinking! Weirdos!

gnubler

I kept meaning to post an update on this. I got so annoyed with people wandering through the shop, so I closed off a little lobby area using some metal shelving thinking that would do it. At least half the people who come in immediately walk through the small opening that I kept open for myself to get in and out, which is tight and awkward on purpose. I don't always have the "work area closed" sign propped up, but I did yesterday and a customer came in, looked at the sign, and walked right in. LOL! I also labeled one of the shelves with "Deliveries", but 99% of the drivers completely ignore the shelving and instead walk ten extra feet and dump packages on my tiny front counter. So strange.
front.jpg

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Or just don't worry about it...I've had my own shop since 1996, haven't lost one customer do to them dying or getting hurt in my shop. Insurance guys get paid to worry about everything, doesn't mean you have to.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago in the late 80's we had a large painting area in an old shop. Close to 3,000 sq ft. Now, this was at the dawn of computers coming on board and we had a gerber sprint system and an ANAgraph system. Basically the only substrates available were duraply (MDO) sheet metal, shocard and cloth or banners. We had about 20 or 22pcs 4' x 8' panels in the area and we had just finished coating them all out in a dark brown paint. A customer asked if he could come after hours and I said sure, no problem.

The guy came in with his little daughter and I told him to keep hold of her hand as there are many sharp objects on tables that could fall and hurt her, lotsa wet paint around...... which you could smell and the place is basically not child-proof. I reminded him once or twice about keeping his daughter away from things. All of a sudden she broke loose and grabbed one of the panels getting brown paint all over her hands, not to mention, messing up that panel. I called her away and she went to the next one and grabbed that one. The old many got supper p!ssed and yelled at me for not having a safe environment. He left and I never saw him again.

I now have signs which say....... no admittance beyond this point for insurance reasons. Employees only.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
May not have much to do with insurance... Some people just don't want folks in their workspace.
You'd be amazed at how many people we have had walk right into our blast booth with the blaster going or idiots roaming around our paint storage and booths with a cigarette in their mouth. We have signs EVERYWHERE! Total lack of respect. They'll step over chains, move cones, drive around our property. Whatever, the signs are for everyone else I suppose. Idiots

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Many years ago in the late 80's we had a large painting area in an old shop. Close to 3,000 sq ft. Now, this was at the dawn of computers coming on board and we had a gerber sprint system and an ANAgraph system. Basically the only substrates available were duraply (MDO) sheet metal, shocard and cloth or banners. We had about 20 or 22pcs 4' x 8' panels in the area and we had just finished coating them all out in a dark brown paint. A customer asked if he could come after hours and I said sure, no problem.

The guy came in with his little daughter and I told him to keep hold of her hand as there are many sharp objects on tables that could fall and hurt her, lotsa wet paint around...... which you could smell and the place is basically not child-proof. I reminded him once or twice about keeping his daughter away from things. All of a sudden she broke loose and grabbed one of the panels getting brown paint all over her hands, not to mention, messing up that panel. I called her away and she went to the next one and grabbed that one. The old many got supper p!ssed and yelled at me for not having a safe environment. He left and I never saw him again.

I now have signs which say....... no admittance beyond this point for insurance reasons. Employees only.
Oh yeah, touching wet paint or wiping their hands across the nice brand new shiny paint job leaving scratches on it. Never had that happen :rolleyes: