• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DC-3 Plane with Earth with a can sign with Raised letters.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I take it back. In another thread you have going somewhere, I said you have what it takes and you're gonna go places.... Heck you've been there and back and are still incredibly fantastic...... not to mention your humble demeanor.

You are truly a craftsman. :notworthy:

Speedsterbeast

In regards to the fiberglass resin. Are you using polyester or epoxy? I'm guessing polyester to keep the costs down. And do you clear-coat them after if they would be used outside?

I think I may want to try this process.

RogueRoller

In regards to the fiberglass resin. Are you using polyester or epoxy? I'm guessing polyester to keep the costs down. And do you clear-coat them after if they would be used outside?

I think I may want to try this process.

What i was showing you there in the Dodge Logo Is for indoor. If you want it for out door you would want to coat the entire piece. This protects it from the sun, rain and most importantly Birds (devils with wings) LOL For that you could use Stiro 1000 From Industrial Polymers. It is a easy way to coat with a brush, roller, or you could use a spray hopper gun that is used for sheet rock texture. the product self levels so it will not leave a texture.

RogueRoller

This sign was done using Stiro Spray 1000 then painted using latex 25 year Paint from ACE Hardware. Cost to build this sign around $250.00 Sold for $1,768. This sign took only 13 hours to make. With out a CNC Machine. (any questions?)

That was start to finish time.
Time dinkering with it was about 3.5 hours.

Attachments

• computer.jpg
    computer.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

JKADesigns

Thought this might help the ones that are thinking I should try some 3D. This is a simple Wall hanging I put together It is made of Blue Foam Board (Local Hardware Store) I made a simple Hotwire table, cut the design in vinyl place on the foam. Cut to the edge of the vinyl. Paint it using house hold latex paint 3 coats. than take some fiberglass resin and poor into the top of your design for a doming effect. (Poor slow allowing the resin to go to the edge it will stop and will not flow down the sides) Let cure and show it to your local car dealership don't be surprised whey you don't come home with it.

Perfect!!!! This is an awesome example and exactly what I am looking for in doing this! Hot wire tables are easy to make, google that, I just wasn't sure if I could use my standard hardware store foam etc. Thank you so much!

JKADesigns

This sign was done using Stiro Spray 1000 then painted using latex 25 year Paint from ACE Hardware. Cost to build this sign around $250.00 Sold for $1,768. This sign took only 13 hours to make. With out a CNC Machine. (any questions?)

That was start to finish time.
Time dinkering with it was about 3.5 hours.

I can pick this apart in my mind and exactly how it's made... but how the heck am I going to justify charging the customer nearly $2,000 for this???? Any tips on that part? Or do these things just plain sell themselves? I also realize that shipping costs are going to get anyone who'll think about ordering one of these signs online as they can't be cheap to ship.

Awesome idea on the dodge logo, that would be an easy way to get in the door in the local area. I did something like this once upon a time- I cut out a heating and cooling company's logo out of wood, it was 1/2" oak and did it on a scroll saw. Why the heck didn't I keep going with it 8 years ago is the question!!!!

Thank you so much for your time and your knowledge, I have finally found something that's damn cool, fun, and I can earn my keep with it. $100 plus an hour sounds like my kind of work and I LOVE tools!

RogueRoller

I can pick this apart in my mind and exactly how it's made... but how the heck am I going to justify charging the customer nearly $2,000 for this???? Any tips on that part? Or do these things just plain sell themselves? I also realize that shipping costs are going to get anyone who'll think about ordering one of these signs online as they can't be cheap to ship.

Call me I sent you a PM with my Number.
Would be glad to help you get started.

weaselboogie

So.... What do you do with all of the scrap?

I did a huge project a couple of years ago with EPS and the biggest problem that we didn't consider was the amount of scrap. Nothing that was big enough to save ended up in the scrap corner. This is a picture of the corner of my shop towards the end of the project. If my scrap pile is this big, yours must be mammoth.

Attachments

• PA240004.jpg
    PA240004.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 113

CheapVehicleWrap

Freaking awesome!

This guy's the best thing since sliced Addie.

I just hope you have time to post now and then.

Is that a custom mount on your Cintiq?

Speedsterbeast

Since I first saw the 3-D Dodge logo 3 hours ago, I just built a hot wire saw and tried it.
It works.
Now, to the lumber yard tomorrow for some styrofoam. The only question is. What should I make first?

RogueRoller

So.... What do you do with all of the scrap?

I did a huge project a couple of years ago with EPS and the biggest problem that we didn't consider was the amount of scrap. Nothing that was big enough to save ended up in the scrap corner. This is a picture of the corner of my shop towards the end of the project. If my scrap pile is this big, yours must be mammoth.

Get a hold of me and I would be glad to show you how to take your trash and turn it into 1000s of dollars I recycle every little flake. :)

I will show you how to make it back into usable product to carve another sign out of it.

This is one of the things i teach in my classes.

RogueRoller

Since I first saw the 3-D Dodge logo 3 hours ago, I just built a hot wire saw and tried it.
It works.
Now, to the lumber yard tomorrow for some styrofoam. The only question is. What should I make first?

I would say "GO FOR THE GOLD" Try to do your company logo.
Makes for a great sample and it will advertise for you.....
Hmmmmmm

If you need some help don't be afraid to ask.

Circleville Signs

Get a hold of me and I would be glad to show you how to take your trash and turn it into 1000s of dollars I recycle every little flake. :)

I will show you how to make it back into usable product to carve another sign out of it.

This is one of the things i teach in my classes.

Dude....Dude!:U Rock:

Speedsterbeast

I would say "GO FOR THE GOLD" Try to do your company logo.
Makes for a great sample and it will advertise for you.....
Hmmmmmm

If you need some help don't be afraid to ask.

I was thinking of my logo. I will give it a try and shoot any questions I have as I go along.
Thanks so much.

grampa dan

Charlie does some pretty cool work. As he has figured out, it is challenging and FUN to build truly dimensions signs. Charlie's work is largely built from lightweight and what I would think were temporary materials. This keeps his cost down but I would worry about the durability. If it hasn't proven to be a problem that's a good deal.

In the prices Charlie has quoted in the posts above I am amazed at how much money he leaves on the table with each sign. The signs have been fabricated in a hurry and with little material cost but that alone should not determine the value of the piece going out the door. I hear others say they couldn't get the money he does. That AMAZES me. Don't sell yourself short.

These signs are good and they are worth a whole lot more than he asks and gets.

It is easy to get into this kind of business making 3D signs. As Charlie points out the key is to start with your own sign, with samples for your own showroom. These will sell future work. Invest in yourself. Also my advice is to charge what the work is truly worth. Where else are they going to get this kind of work??

Charging more allows you to put in a little more time and detail, taking each project and sign over the top. Charging enough allows you to produce nothing but your very best work. With each project you can build your own reputation which is very important for future commissions. With each project you want to raise the bar ever higher.

Keep it up Charlie! Thanks for posting.

-grampa dan

Anatol

Hot wire

I really like everything you do.

Can we see a picture of your hot wire tool ? :U Rock: