• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Derogatory Sign Request

Stacey K

I like making signs
Today is my lucky day! I had a police officer come in looking for me to make him a 4'x8' coroplast sign for his front yard that says, "DO NOT BUILD WITH 'XYZ' BUILDERS" and also put the Facebook logo on the bottom with his facebook page he started for this company. YIKES!! I'm in a small community and I really don't want to start anything with local builders - or a police officer. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would politely decline and suggest he use an online sign maker who's reputation will not be in jeopardy. That being said, he could have total standing to be upset with the other company but he could just be one of those customers who is always the victim and put a sign up about you not helping him!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What he wants to do is slander. That's not legal..... anyway, not around here. Many members here will tell you, it's none of your business, just do as you're told, collect the money and be done with it. However, you have a conscience. I would simply tell the officer, thank you for your service, but in good faith, I cannot do something like this.... and explain how he needs to find another way to get his point across. Defamation is never the answer.

AKwrapguy

Today is my lucky day! I had a police officer come in looking for me to make him a 4'x8' coroplast sign for his front yard that says, "DO NOT BUILD WITH 'XYZ' BUILDERS" and also put the Facebook logo on the bottom with his facebook page he started for this company. YIKES!! I'm in a small community and I really don't want to start anything with local builders - or a police officer. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

This sounds like a sticky situation for you, before you say yes or no maybe do a little research and find out if that is even legal in your area. There might be a local or state law that says you can't.

If not maybe just have an honest conversation with the client and that you don't feel comfortable with the job, you do have the right to refuse service. If you're not the only game in town he has other choices and there's always the internet, I'm sure someone on e-bay will do the job for penny's on the dollar anyways.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's only slander,. libel or defamation if it's not true.

While that is somewhat true..... I wouldn't want to be balled up into that one. So much sh!t could hit the fan and some may stick to you. Perhaps at my age, I'd rather just act as a go-between and not get involved in some petty differences of....he said, she said, they said.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This sounds like a sticky situation for you, before you say yes or no maybe do a little research and find out if that is even legal in your area. There might be a local or state law that says you can't.

If not maybe just have an honest conversation with the client and that you don't feel comfortable with the job, you do have the right to refuse service. If you're not the only game in town he has other choices and there's always the internet, I'm sure someone on e-bay will do the job for penny's on the dollar anyways.

That was gonna be my suggestion, but this cop might just take her to the cleaners and lump them both into the same basket. Just can't believe a cop would do this..... except on the Jerry Springer Show.

Bigdawg

Just Me
It's not nice, but it's not slander - there is no false (or otherwise derogatory or untrue) statement being made. It only says to not use them - not why. So, as far as that goes it should be a non-issue. But I can certainly understand why you would feel like you are between a rock and a hard place on this one! I agree with the suggestion that you recommend the officer use an online sign company instead. If you are in a small town with just a few sign places, it may not be hard to figure out you made it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Tell the customer that you do not make any type of signage that does not reference the customer's own business, organization, or interest. That the customer has to be a member of or representing the organization that is referenced in the signage.

I
That was gonna be my suggestion, but this cop might just take her to the cleaners and lump them both into the same basket. Just can't believe a cop would do this..... except on the Jerry Springer Show.
I can't believe cop would do this either. Seems very immature to me.

neato

Very immature, but people do it everyday with online reviews. It's free speech. Just because it's ok doesn't make it right :)

Bly

Oh come on. So now we have to make judgements on advertising content now?

I always take the stand it's the person giving me the artwork who is responsible for reactions to the sign.

Print the sign and take the money.

ams

Just make the sign, don't put your name on it. XYZ can't do anything to you, plus you have a police officer backing you and will also protect you.

ams

Also the cop isn't immature because you don't know what happened. Until you know the whole story and what happened, I wouldn't judge him.

• Agree
Reactions: KMC

Andy D

While I respect other members stance, to be honest, I would probably make the sign and move on... not my circus not my monkeys.

equippaint

Id just flat out say that I dont want to get involved.
Mainly cuz its childish and theres better ways to spend my time (money or not-I only deal b2b). Secondly because this guy is obviously an irrational person when he chooses to smear people rather than handle problems as an adult. If he doesnt like his sign, are you going to be next? This is regular behavior for these types and noone is immune from their wrath.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is the same behavior model as those who come on here...... and air their dirty laundry. Some things are meant to be dealt with behind closed doors. This kinda stunt is only performed by losers and cowards.

As mentioned, if he can't handle this man-to-man, why do a smear campaign ?? Smear is maybe a better word than slander. However, no one knows what happened or who said what, so as I mentioned earlier, just stay the f*ck out of it and go onto other jobs which are paying and don't involve the drama. :wavingflag: