• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Derogatory Sign Request

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Normally I'd say just make the sign and who cares, but I know what small town politics is like.. you never know who is connected to who and word gets around about who does what.

I drew the line when I got a stupid request for a decal... it was an image of a girl on all fours, and text that said I support strippers, with a guy throwing $$. I told the dude to beat it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thanks everyone for the advice. I told him since he isn't representing XYZ company, I cannot put their name on the sign. I'm only one month into my new storefront in a town of 5,000 people...it just feels like a bad business move for me at this point. I see everyone's point though and appreciate all input!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Normally I'd say just make the sign and who cares, but I know what small town politics is like.. you never know who is connected to who and word gets around about who does what.

I drew the line when I got a stupid request for a decal... it was an image of a girl on all fours, and text that said I support strippers, with a guy throwing $$. I told the dude to beat it.
That's exactly what I was thinking too, I'm not sure who knows who and if I can trust this guy won't blab to everyone that "the new sign shop in town" made the sign.

ams

Thanks everyone for the advice. I told him since he isn't representing XYZ company, I cannot put their name on the sign. I'm only one month into my new storefront in a town of 5,000 people...it just feels like a bad business move for me at this point. I see everyone's point though and appreciate all input!

Throw him my way and I'll make it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's exactly what I was thinking too, I'm not sure who knows who and if I can trust this guy won't blab to everyone that "the new sign shop in town" made the sign.

I understand completely now.. my town is 7,000. Don't ruffle any feathers yet. That contractor will know who made that sign and you don't know if HE is the more respected one in the community. If you were in Texas, you'd also have to watch out of who's in the various biker gangs before getting on someone's bad side.

WildWestDesigns

If you were in Texas, you'd also have to watch out of who's in the various biker gangs before getting on someone's bad side.

That's definitely true around the Plano area (6th gen. native myself of Plano), but if you were to be out of South Texas (grandmother lives down in the Kingsville area), have to worry about the drug cartels going after you.

TimToad

We used to get hit up regularly by our local anti-abortion zealot who wanted giant posters of bloody, dismembered fetuses and dayglo text all over them.

We always politely explained that we didn't feel comfortable dealing with the graphic nature of the images and couldn't expect any of our employees to do so either. We tried to be civil about it and appeal to his better side, but he doesn't have one, so he just added us to the list of enemies and thankfully stopped bugging us.

The guy badgered us for a year and got verbally abusive about it as well. We told him it wasn't political, we just didn't want to have such controversial images in our shop.

His reputation for aggression is such that he has been banned anywhere within 1,000 of our schools because the students feel so intimidated and threatened by his presence and actions. He would follow the kids around screaming at them and cursing them to eternal damnation, etc.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's definitely true around the Plano area (6th gen. native myself of Plano), but if you were to be out of South Texas (grandmother lives down in the Kingsville area), have to worry about the drug cartels going after you.

Lol, last time I went to South Texas (McAllen) I could not fine ONE out of the 20+ radio stations in English. People are very friendly down there and the area was actually pretty nice... made me feel welcomed there even though I felt completely out of place.

crny1

x Sharpcu

Lol, last time I went to South Texas (McAllen) I could not fine ONE out of the 20+ radio stations in English. People are very friendly down there and the area was actually pretty nice... made me feel welcomed there even though I felt completely out of place.
I spend 3 days a week in Mcallen/Edinburg from October to April. I know the feeling!!!! But I do kind of like the area........

ikarasu

I wouldn't want to print it if I was in a small town, just because I wouldn't want to make Enemies. I still probably would... But that issue aside...

I also don't think it's Slander, or immature, or any of that stuff. Thats like saying posting a bad review on a website is bad form, and you should handle all issues one on one.

In the real world... that doesn't work. for all we know this guy had some work done and it turned out like Crap. He went to try and get it fixed, but the owner didn't give a crap. So this guy could be stuck... Maybe he's holding a grudge, maybe he wants a sign infront of his house with a hole in the roof saying hey, look what xyz company did to repair it, take your business elsewhere if you want a livable house.

Same with Protesting signs... This is protesting a business, should we as sign shops refuse to print signs for Ikea workers who are protesting crap wages? Or any union or striker because we may anger the Parent company? If there was a conflict of interest, I can see turning the work down. But If you turn down regular Joe schmoe Because he wants to make an Apple sucks sign, you're effectively preventing the little guy from Protesting and giving Apple an advantage.

It's a Free Country, so long as it's not Illegal or Immoral, I'd have no problem with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I can see and even understand your points, but you are not preventing anyone from doing anything. YOU are just not taking sides. Using the toadster's situation...... there are doctors who can save lives and those same doctors can end lives. Why get involved with things that don't involve you ?? I'm not saying run and hide, just don't think of turning something away, that you don't believe in, as bad. You too, can have feelings or passions one way or the other. Stand up for what YOU believe in...... and not be a patsy.

visual800

in this day and age people are out to screw another over. On my facebook page, I will make a public announcement if you dont pay me. So far when Ive done that Ive gotten paid (About 4 times now) Someone rats out to them I slathered their name on the FB and by some strange occurrence they get me paid. No attorney, no lawsuit....amazing isnt it? This cop is probably doing the same thing. He needs something fixed and they wont do it. People do not like bad publicity.

Make the damn sign and stop thinking your going to go to prison if you are "involved" in a matter like this. Some of you guys think way to damn deep in doing jobs. This is nothing and none of your concern

dale911

President
As a wholesale sign printer, I’ll print whatever is requested. My reputation is on putting out quality product only since I don’t deal with retail customers. That aside, being a retired officer myself, I don’t believe any officer should be making a public opinion on anything, anywhere. It shows bias on something. He is obviously someone who carries a grudge and should not be an officer at all. If I were in the retail end of things, I’d probably take the order and then make a report to a superior officer about it. Officers get fired for putting opinions on websites. This is no different. All officers should be un-biased against all things or they will not be objective when they need to be. It is a difficult thing to do but is paramount to equal justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

equippaint

Considering the resounding theme on here about being professional and not wanting to print "bad designs" (but proper message) it surprises me how many actually would do this. Id print peoples bad designs all day long but would never be complicit in someones smear campaign.

What really gets me are all of the threads on bad customers and avoiding them. This is the epitome of the kind of person that you want to avoid, he is all but directly telling you that he is a demanding pita.

Marlene

If it feels wrong to take on a job, just don't do it. There are many ways to handle it from telling them no to pricing it so they shop elsewhere. No need to take every job that comes your way.

billsines

DO NOT MAKE THAT SIGN. It will get out who made that and you do not want to be a part of their disagreement. If you make that sign, next thing you know you'll be appearing in court explaining yourself while all your other customers are waiting for their signs.

What is more damaging to your reputation, making this sign and taking the fallout, or politely declining to make this sign?

Johnny Best

If you do not want to do something because you feel it will come back on you, don't do it.
Like the guy who had strong religious beliefs and did not want to make the wedding cake for a certain couple.
I am sure that couple had a cake made by someone else just like the others here who do not overthink it.
Just hope after you refuse to make the sign for the cop he does not pull you over for a ticket in your small town.

TimToad

I've gotten those as well, it's so gross.

What kills me is the ferocious and aggressive persistence this guy displayed until he finally gave up and found another source. Plus, he has like six kids and drags them all out to wherever he is protesting. Kids should be out playing and making friends, not used as political props.