• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Free CS2 Either individually or as a package from Adobe

CES020

It's been blowing up on every tech website out there today. It was even listed on forbes.com, so I'm guessing it's gotten a little out of control by the moment :)

CES020

It's been blowing up on every tech website out there today. It was even listed on forbes.com, so I'm guessing it's gotten a little out of control by the moment :)

genericname

This is really smart of them. There's been no press release, though the official intent seems to have had something to do with deprecating their old authentication servers.

I wouldn't doubt that the real reason is a two-fold "first one's free" and "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" strategy. If people can get free, legal, official software with no virii, even older versions of it, they will. Adobe cuts major traffic from pirates this way, and gives users a taste of legitimacy while doing it. The added bonus to them is that there's also a significant base of people who don't want to pirate, but also can't afford the official software, so they also take away the steam from clone projects like GIMP and Inkscape, which means fewer projects for them to buy out in the future. Win win.

CES020

I think the mac version only runs on powerPC processors, which have been gone for quite some time now. They stopped making those in 2005/2006, didn't they?

genericname

I think the mac version only runs on powerPC processors, which have been gone for quite some time now. They stopped making those in 2005/2006, didn't they?

Read this elsewhere too. Won't work on any of the newer Intel models. Has more to do with Apple ditching their cross-platform compatibility mode though. The original Intel based Macs had Rosetta to take care of PowerPC programs, but they trashed it with Lion. Lame.

genericname

Maybe not what they intended?.....

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662

No official statement from Adobe yet

According to what I am reading this was only intended for previous owners of cs2 software.

Wow.

Their response so far is just embarrassing. They made publicly accessible links to all of the software, with universal serials posted alongside those links, accompanied by no explanation, allow media everywhere to go crazy over without intervening, and then wag a finger, saying "ah ah, you weren't allowed to click on that" afterwards. Pfft.

That's like a bank leaving cash all over the sidewalk, and chastising people the next day for not depositing it with them after they picked it up.

I certainly hope they do the right thing and see this as the opportunity it really is. Someone's getting fired though, that's for sure.

CES020

Yeah, what do you bet those activation servers are turned back on :) That was their whole reasoning, that their activation servers were going offline for CS2, so they made it public in case someone had an issue with their existing license of it. With probably a million downloads yesterday, they might want to fire that puppy back up if that is what their intent was, rather than giving it away for free.

genericname

Yeah, what do you bet those activation servers are turned back on :) That was their whole reasoning, that their activation servers were going offline for CS2, so they made it public in case someone had an issue with their existing license of it. With probably a million downloads yesterday, they might want to fire that puppy back up if that is what their intent was, rather than giving it away for free.

That would only result in a huge swath of piracy as a direct response. I certainly don't think they want to adopt the litigation-based business model of the record and movie industries. I would hope not anyway, not over a piece of software that's been obsolete for five generations. That would be a one way ticket to User Base 0.

TheSnowman

It is only for Power PC, but you can just install Rosetta from your Snow Leopard install disk under "extras" if I remember right, and you'll be able to run it. It's not that it can't run on the Intel, it's that they don't have the same software to install the older stuff.

When I got my new iMac last year, I was ticked that I couldn't run my older version of Final Cut Pro that I shelled out big bucks for back in the day, and after a little research, that was the work around. It runs it fine, just had to put Rosetta on it to install it.

genericname

It is only for Power PC, but you can just install Rosetta from your Snow Leopard install disk under "extras" if I remember right, and you'll be able to run it. It's not that it can't run on the Intel, it's that they don't have the same software to install the older stuff.

When I got my new iMac last year, I was ticked that I couldn't run my older version of Final Cut Pro that I shelled out big bucks for back in the day, and after a little research, that was the work around. It runs it fine, just had to put Rosetta on it to install it.

What about on Lion? They state that's where they pulled support. Does that mean they put in roadblocks to disallow the installation, or they just won't take support calls, but you can still install it?

TheSnowman

What about on Lion? They state that's where they pulled support. Does that mean they put in roadblocks to disallow the installation, or they just won't take support calls, but you can still install it?

I installed Rosetta into Lion, so yea, you should be fine. The installer works fine to install Rosetta, and once you get that installed, you can install old "Power PC" software.

royster13

Free CS2 is like someone trying to pawn off their old AMC Pacer on you.....Even free it is not worth it.....

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i would love to trick out an old pacer are you kidding me?????

amc-pacer-19.jpg