• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Free CS2 Either individually or as a package from Adobe

CES020

I installed Rosetta into Lion, so yea, you should be fine. The installer works fine to install Rosetta, and once you get that installed, you can install old "Power PC" software.

Anywhere Rosetta is available without the disc? I don't need it, I have CS6, but I'd love to put it on a few family members computers, all of which are running Lion, but it was all done with the upgrade from the app store and asking them for the original discs is wishful thinking :)

TheSnowman

I suppose find somewhere online to buy snow leopard is the only way. It's on my original install disks, but when I bought my laptop, it had Tiger on it.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/350652227167?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

It should load the installer no matter what version of OS you are running, and then you just pick the "Optional Installs" option on the install screen, and it should install no problem. It's been about a year since I did it, but it didn't give me trouble.

WI

Here's what's going on. Adobe is shutting down the product-activation servers for CS2. What this would mean for legacy users is that if you tried to install your old CS2 on a new machine, it'd never switch on since the software is searching for a verification server that's no longer there.

So that you can still install your old programs on new machines, what Adobe is doing is giving licensed users a new version of the same software that can still be switched on without relying on a server to do it.

Here's the long version from Forbes.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriank.../07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/

PS- For those of you who are totally crushed by this news, take heart. Adobe CS2 has been free on sites like Torrentz and The Pirate Bay since mid-April 2005.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
And they really think that users are going to not download it or remove it after reading this?

Has any software or media company done this before? It is the equivalent of some record company placing their old songs available online for everyone to access but saying that you cannot download a digital copy unless you have a previous tape/cd/record version

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Also Adobe has a new page that does not even require you to login with an adobe ID. Free for the taking. There is no mention anywhere on the page saying you cannot use/download the software without owning the original discs

Did someone goof? Hard to believe Adobe was oblivious to the viral nature of this before making the software accessible.

WI

I get the idea that there's still some kind of 64-bit encryption passkey on it, and I further assume that you get one of these activation keys in exchange for your old CS2 serial number, but how exactly they're planning to keep you or me or anyone else from taking their new CS2 activation key and posting it to 4Chan/b I don' t know.

I know Rowling's publishing company mitigated the piracy of Harry Potter e-books by attaching the buyer's name to each digital copy, therefore anyone who posted their book to a torrent site would theoretically carry the shame of having thousands and thousands of copies of their personal copy of this book appearing on less-than-aboveboard trackers around the world.

I'd be interested to see what happens as well. I'm sure Adobe has the money to hire someone with a novel solution to problems like this.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Corrected....

Here's what's going on. Adobe is shutting down the product-activation servers for CS2. What this would mean for legacy users is that if you tried to install your old CS2 on a new machine, it'd never switch on since the software is searching for a verification server that's no longer there.

So that you can still install your old programs on new machines, what Adobe is doing is giving licensed users a new version of the same software that can still be switched on without relying on a server to do it.

Here's the long version from Forbes.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriank.../07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/

PS- For those of you who are totally crushed by this news, take heart. Illegal hacked pirated copies of Adobe CS2 that have been illegally modified (and also often modify your system files such as adding entries to your hosts file to redirect any requests to Adobe's activation servers) and also often have viruses added to them have been available for those who have no morals regarding theft for free on sites like Torrentz and The Pirate Bay since mid-April 2005.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Nah.... Not into pirating software myself and I know how it feels to have your hard work stolen which is what piracy is.

Also having been a business owner for many many years I also know how much it hurts legitimate businesses when others use illegal means to gain an unfair advantage. If your company is using illegal software then you deserve to be caught and fined in my opinion. I have literally in tens of thosands invested in our software up here. I have to charge a certain price point for our products because I have to earn those costs back. A good RIP costs a few grand by itself, fonts - easily average $20+ each for good ones, Adobe Suite x 3 computers, plugins like Perfect Resize etc for each, etc, etc.

My bitterness is only with the ease at which people now have with using pirated software to run their freaking businesses on. I honestly do not care if some people want to install a copy on their home computer to mess with it a little.

WildWestDesigns

Also having been a business owner for many many years I also know how much it hurts legitimate businesses when others use illegal means to gain an unfair advantage. If your company is using illegal software then you deserve to be caught and fined in my opinion. I have literally in tens of thosands invested in our software up here. I have to charge a certain price point for our products because I have to earn those costs back. A good RIP costs a few grand by itself, fonts - easily average $20+ each for good ones, Adobe Suite x 3 computers, plugins like Perfect Resize etc for each, etc, etc.

That's what rubs me the wrong way. Ironically, illegal means in some instances buying and selling off ebay. A lot of people seem to forget that when they spend money on software, they are actually paying for the privilege to use that software, they aren't buying ownership. That privilege comes with caveats typically listed in the EULA (rather you bother to read them or not).

One thing that Wilcom does that I think cuts down on that is that they require you to send in your old software in order to qualify for upgrade pricing. Now I can promise you, upgrade pricing is what you are going to want, since it can mean the difference between paying 1k (1 generation upgrade) or paying 15k and that seems to cut down on ebay copies (which I have never seen unless the company/person is liquidating).

Mike F

Did somebody mention Cool Edit Pro? Wow, I remember using that like freshman year in high school to do remixes. Man I feel old...

slappy

acrobat to open

you can use any word or excel program to write a pdf. Even can save a pdf from photoshop...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you have Illustrator(even the CS2 offered in that link) try to "place" the pdf within an open document. Once there you can "expand" its appearance and edit what you need.

wayne k
guam usa