• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much for that HP L25500 in your sign shop?

ForgeInc

Dont give a damn that it's green! :)

Not to sound like a jackass either, but in our neck of the woods, a statement like that eliminates you from about 80% of our customer base, which REQUIRE us to be green certified. That's one of the major reasons we bought our LX 800 (in addition to the fact it prints beautifully on a wide range of media.)

signswi

Where the HP makes in Green technology - they lose in Green or Sustainable power usage. This thing uses a TON of energy. The heat required to evaporate the water based inks is intense. And it has to do it in a space shorter then 12" so I don't care how "green" it claims to be - doing the research will show you that the inks maybe better for the environement but you are consuming more electricity/power to run your machine.

Part of the Green claims are the HP recyclable material line, not just that there's no solvents / heavy metals. To be sure though there's not much "green" about the vinyl printing industry, especially roll to roll (so many carrier sheets, etc.).

HulkSmash

Not to sound like a jackass either, but in our neck of the woods, a statement like that eliminates you from about 80% of our customer base, which REQUIRE us to be green certified. That's one of the major reasons we bought our LX 800 (in addition to the fact it prints beautifully on a wide range of media.)

Well good thing i lose 0 business because of this.

Latex is as green as the sky. The electrical consumption is so obnoxious, you might as well run 3 solvents side by side all day.

Tim Aucoin

My concerns are compatibility with Onyx(since that's what we already know) and the take up reel.

For anyone who's comfortable sharing, please don't forget to answer the questions in the original post!

I'm running Onyx 10.1 and it's fabulous! Comes with a take-up reel that works like a charm!

I paid $19,499. Came with two full sets of ink, installation, training, Onyx PosterShop X10.

The print quality is amazing, don't know what people are talking about when they say there's a "waxy" look to the surface. Use good media and choose profiles wisely and there is no problem whatsoever! The ink just seems to go for ever and ever before it needs changing... :clapping:

WrapperX

We're running Onyx 10 too and it works great. And the Foot sensored take up is quite nice!

Just go for it - you won't be sorry!

marcsitkin

I paid around $17K for ours a little over a year ago (60"). Except for the replacement of two take up motors it's been a solid machine. Once the L26000 comes out, I'll take a close look at it and consider selling my 25500 to buy the new one.

The up time has been very high on this machine, and it's ability to sit idle for a week or two without any nozzle clogging or maint. routines is a big plus for me. My work flow is very cyclical.

DRamm76

yeah, roland do seem to be a touch more expensive all round.

Keep in mind...I can probably account for dozens of people each week that get that "great deal" on equipment and then curse the thing out left and right. I have more people complaining about Mimaki and Mutoh than I do Roland.

With all due respect, the only people that seem to be complaining about the Roland models are the ones without a warranty so they get ticked off at the repair charge, the ones who try to fix everything themselves**, and the ones who use third party parts...

**(there are a lot of people who DO work on their own machine and they know what they are doing, so no disrespect to them)

Every equipment has it's issues, but for someone to say "Hey, I got a $26,000 machine for HALF OFF! WHY IS IT HAVING SO MANY ISSUES?!" I have to laugh..

I have the HP Latex on my showroom floor and when we were asked why we havent sold a single one..the answer is simple..People are waiting for it to heat up and while they are waiting, they turn to the XC-540 and say "whats that do?" and it's all over..Sorry HP

Things are priced the way they are for a reason..here's another example. I have a lot of different rolls of media in the catalog. A good customer comes to me and says the competition stopped by and said "why are you using the Oracal when you could use this roll instead? It's $73 per roll for 54" x 75ft..It's the SAME!" Customer comes to me and says "why am I paying so much for Oracal" Turns out we carried that $73 roll as well. I told him if he wants to try it, go ahead..two days later, he comes back and says "lesson learned, cheaper isnt always better this s*it sucks!"

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Sounds like you should keep your HP demo model hot no? Or at least get it hot before a consult meeting...

Lol yeah being a dealer and knowing you have a client coming down to demo a machine you would think you would get it warmed up before a client came to see it. They probably make more selling other machines I bet.

Hzone15

Well Said Jesse. The 15 minute start up time gives me time to do file prep and other things in my shop.

As far as a fire entinguisher, I have always had one in my shop with our without a Latex printer.

My machine has been solid as well. I have had replaced the take up motor once and the heater failed at installation. That's it after 6 months.

My energy bill has gone up a bit, but not where it's killing my profitability and I will gladly pay a bit more to not have to fuss with daily maintenance.

tattoo.dan

Well the latest best deal on these is about 14k. 2 yrs support set of inks and short rolls with install and training. Seriously thinking about it

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
That sucks you only get short rolls, I am doing 5 free rolls of 13Oz Banner, 5 rolls of Heavy Gloss Poster, 3 rolls of 5 Mil Glossy Adhesive, 3 rolls of Light Poster Gloss, and 3 full rolls of different display fabrics. These are all 54" rolls also

tattoo.dan

That sucks you only get short rolls, I am doing 5 free rolls of 13Oz Banner, 5 rolls of Heavy Gloss Poster, 3 rolls of 5 Mil Glossy Adhesive, 3 rolls of Light Poster Gloss, and 3 full rolls of different display fabrics. These are all 54" rolls also

that is pretty good deal. sent you a pm

Freese

Original Product Data Sheet stated that the printer consumed 4.8 kW
This was incorrect and has since been corrected
The printer uses 4.3kW on warm up and only 2.7kW thereafter
A comparable eco-solvent printer without an extra heater or fan will use less
When you add an extra heater or fan to dry the prints, energy consumption is similar
Solvent users who employ an air scrubber and fans/extra heaters actually use more power
The Power Cost per Copy is less than 1%
A Mutoh without extra fans or heaters will use approximately $7.65 in electricity per month
The L25500 running the same amount will use approximately $26.25 based on average US energy costs
At 4 hours per day this equals 7,760 sq ft per month, which means that the actual difference is $.002 psf
The above calculations include the warm up time required for L25500 from a cold start
220V power is not more expensive than 110V
Printer is Energy Star compliant and has a low power sleep mode

bigben

Wow! That's a deal! Too bad I'm in Canada...

mark galoob

i dont understand what you mean by this is more of a "green" machine. who certifies it to be more green than a mutoh, or a roland or anything else for that matter. is there an all powerful printer oz in the sky that makes this claim that one machine is more green than another machine.

dude, i have no clue about latex printers and it seems like a good idea but i would not be spending that kind of money on new tech. give it a few yrs to see where the tech lands...it could be a dud and that would be a huge burdon to have a dud machine after 4 or 5 yrs. if solevent ink is a problem for your shop, there are plenty of eco-solv based printers out there and the tech is no problemo, those guys will be here for awhile.

also the 220 electric set up seems silly. those heaters must pull a lot of power to force it to be 220. thats gonna be a big heater in your shop when its on so it will make the shop nice and toasty when its all cool outside. around here its 108 so would not work here

good luck with your purchase whatever you decide...ill be in that mode in about 2-3 yrs

mark galoob

mark galoob

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
i dont understand what you mean by this is more of a "green" machine. who certifies it to be more green than a mutoh, or a roland or anything else for that matter. is there an all powerful printer oz in the sky that makes this claim that one machine is more green than another machine.

dude, i have no clue about latex printers and it seems like a good idea but i would not be spending that kind of money on new tech. give it a few yrs to see where the tech lands...it could be a dud and that would be a huge burdon to have a dud machine after 4 or 5 yrs. if solevent ink is a problem for your shop, there are plenty of eco-solv based printers out there and the tech is no problemo, those guys will be here for awhile.

also the 220 electric set up seems silly. those heaters must pull a lot of power to force it to be 220. thats gonna be a big heater in your shop when its on so it will make the shop nice and toasty when its all cool outside. around here its 108 so would not work here

good luck with your purchase whatever you decide...ill be in that mode in about 2-3 yrs

mark galoob

mark galoob

Its more GREEN because of the ink thats used. This is the new Technology and its going to be here for a long time.

mark galoob

yea...thats like saying biodeisel is more green than oil based desiel because its made with plants. this is only an opinion and im not saying its a right or wrong opinion, but my point is there is not some agency thats certifying these as green.

again wheather its here for a while or not remains to be seen.

mark galoob

SqueeGee

I went to see one of these printers in action. The material loading/unloading would require us to make significant changes to our workflow/shop setup. The take up reel also seems to be especially cumbersome. I think we're going to stay on the sidelines a little longer.