• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex Printer arrived today...

Suz

Hi Raged, Hi Nate!

First off, I should mention, I went shopping again yesterday. I hate shopping (really I know it is weird for a woman to say this, but I do!) I don't even like clothes shopping, I'm a tee shirt and jeans kinda person. Anyway...

Well, I went back to Best Buy yesterday and found another computer
Gateway DX4860-UB33P

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394490,00.asp

I also found Nvidia graphics card to install in it. I do have an Nvidia with another desktop PC which has served me nicely. It does help handle graphics, so I'm good with purchasing one for this new comptuer!

Besides, I think it will scream!!!!:scream:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, thank you Raged and Nate for your help. Raged, this is the laptop that we got last week:

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]TechTack - Lessons, Reviews, News and Tutorials: Asus X54C-BBK3 laptop

Raged, sorry I meant to call the Nvidia a Graphics card, not processor. Oopsie. Oh, and you are right, Ernst is who gave me the information that the new laptop might not be the best choice.

Here are the emails we have exchanged:
--------------------------------------------------------------
last e-mail from Ernst:

[FONT=&quot]There’s good chance that the Debian doesn’t work with the integrated Intel graphics controller. Also the low native screen resolution will make it a challenge to work with Caldera.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minimum requirement is 1280x1024.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I recommend not using a laptop. If you don’t want the hassle of installing an OS then consider a Mac mini with regular OSX.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Which printers are you planning to drive with Caldera?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ernst[/FONT]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
[FONT=&quot]Here is my email to Ernst:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ernst,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you very much for offering to send the disks and YES we do want them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However, you mention that a Nvidia based video controller is the best. What we have done is purchased a new laptop, wish we would have known about the Nvidia based video controller before we went shopping, so I'm going to ask...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]will the computer that we got work? I know you are sending the disks because this will make it easier and we appreciate that very much, but if it won't work, we have only 14 days to return the computer from date of purchase as it is new. I don't think they will let us return it though, if we wipe out the whole operating system and that reinstall it if we have to return computer. Thankfully we have not gotten to that point yet.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please advise. Thanks!!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-S
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]--------------------------------------------------------------------
Then prior to this, another e-mail from Ernst:
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We will mail you a set of disks.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It might be a challenge to install our linux version (A streamlined version of Debian 6.0) on a laptop with a built in Intel Graphics controller. The best video driver support is available with a Nvidia based video controller.[/FONT]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nvidia is a graphics hardware manufacturer. Nvidia, AFAIK does not make processors. You're pretty much going to have to use AMD or Intel for the CPU. Even if you go buy an Apple, you're going to have an Intel processor.

Your laptop may very well have an Nvidia graphics card. I'll have to go back and look at what you bought.

Edit to add: If the laptop you're talking about is the Asus you reference earlier, it doesn't have any AMD parts in it. It's an Intel CPU, with Intel graphics card. A Mac Mini (which is what a lot of folks, including me run) also uses a very similar processor and graphics processor. All Intel. I'm confused why Ernst (if that's who you're talking to) would tell you what he did.

Suz

I think they're saying nvidia graphics work best with the debian distro they're using. That being said I have a have machines with ATI (who AMD purchased) chipsets in them that work just fine. The easiest thing to do is try to load Caldera's Debian. If it works, it works. If not then it doesn't.

Nate, I think you are right, they are probably just saying the Nvidia graphics cards work best, less problems. There are known problems. Of course they know way more than I do about the problems, so I'm going to take their advise. The only problem with trying to load Caldera's Debian and having it not work is that I can't chance it if Best Buy decides they don't want to take the new laptop back or exchange it for a computer that does work. So, I'm going to just make my chances of a successful outcome even better!

Thanks so much for your help. Your input has been very helpful.
Also, thank you Raged!!!

ProColorGraphics

If you are going to buy Visual RIP+, you can get it installed and ready to go on a Mac Mini. That is what I did, and it was only $1 more! From Advantage anyways.

Suz

Thanks Matt, I'm sure the Mac Mini is a great choice and I was thinking about it.... but my husband is a PC Tech, doesn't know Mac at all. He likes the idea of the PC and I want him to feel comfortable. Also, this gives us more options later if we decide that we don't want Caldera after the trial. I think we will want it though.

Raged, good, glad it makes more sense. Sometimes I don't say things quite right. But I do not claim to be a Computer puter togetherer. :) I'm just an Artist.

If you are going to buy Visual RIP+, you can get it installed and ready to go on a Mac Mini. That is what I did, and it was only $1 more! From Advantage anyways.

Suz

New Desktop PC

Well, we did exchange the new laptop we got at BestBuy for a desktop and added the nvidia graphics card to it. The whole system cost under $700, and it is very fast!

First, everything was saved to disks, just incase we ever want to go back to the original operating system. We decided not to partition the hard drive to run Windows. It's a dedicated ripping station for the Latex printer. I may add some printers to it, as I do have a couple of those! :)

We cleaned off the hard drive, then loaded the Debian & Caldera. Now we need to just get the right code from Caldera to have a working trial. (Debian is the Operating System - thought I would mention that since it may sound strange).

I was happy to see that the software included "Gimp" which I'm familiar with. I was hoping it might have "Inkscape" too, but it does not. I guess I can always load that later if I really want to. Oh, I don't really need it, but might be fun!

Looking forward to seeing what we can do with it!

Last edited:

The1Railroader

Windows 7 Problem....

Hey all! First, is there a place here to post a new question, or does it have to be in a particular thread? Secondly, I'll keep asking this, how, or is it even possible to run my plotter, Vinyl Master 380P and my HP Designjet 5500 from my new Windows 7 Home Premium.... Tried everything imaginable.... bought 25pin to USB cables, some stupid controller keeps blocking it! UGH..... The old puter is going fast! Any help out there?

Justin

Awwwwwww! Congratulations! I just sit here and smiled as I seen the youngins playing with the box! I can't wait until I get a printer like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someday!