• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex Printer arrived today...

Suz

Dannytat,

Just wanted to say YAY FOR YOU!!!
Yep, I'm yelling, standing on the roof, and even handstands on the floor.
Have fun, please share comments, questions, whatever.
Can't wait to see what you do!

ProColorGraphics

Someone else asked me that.. here's my reply to them:

We have color and B&W digital copiers in our shop, and we do a lot of digital printing. Tons of business cards, envelopes, brochures, flyers, carbonless forms, tickets, reports, etc... on our digital equipment. We still do offset printing, but I now source it out (to the guy who bought my press!!). Revenue from outside services is generally anywhere from $10 - $15K per month. We average $35 - $55K in sales per month. Last month was rare, but it has happened a half dozen times in the last 5 years.

We also generate a lot of revenue from bindery work. We have equipment to cut, score, number, perforate, laminate, etc... Other services we provide are; custom self-inking stamps, CD & DVD production (printing & burning anywhere from 1 to 1000), plastic card printing (credit card size only), just recently introduced Dye Sublimation printing, and a few other little services. This year I purchased a digital envelope production printer/press to keep all of my envelope printing in-house. It is a huge money saver!!

Interesting. I have been thinking a lot getting a nice digital copier that will print 12" by 18", cut, bind, fold, etc. Any recommendations for a brand?

The1Railroader

HP 5500 Designjet 42"

Is there a material I can print on with the UV set up that I have, that is made for iron on / heat transfer? I know I can use thermal vinyl on the plotter, and press it. Is the UV ink considered solvent? Still have allot to learn and I hope you can help.

I was looking at this stuff called Eco-Print...
http://www.imprintables.com/product/eco-print,487,70.htm
...and I have no clue if the UV ink is good for this.
Thanx to one and all....

Suz

Hi Railroader,
I'm not sure if Eco-Print would work on your HP 5500 printer, it's a UV? I'm sure you know that the L25500 is Latex ink. You may want to ask Josh (BigFish) who is a member of Signs 101, he sells the HP Printers and print materials too. Looks like his profile says he has the same printer you have, the HP 5500 anyhow. Let us know what you find out. Also, you may want to start an introduction thread/post, you might get more help from people who have same printer as you. Thanks!

The1Railroader

Hi Suz...

I'm trying to figure out how to make a new post...I looked through all the FAQ's, but didn't see anything about a new post...I will try your suggestion and see what happens...thanx...

signage

Railraoder to make a new post go to the forums directory and choose which forum for your post to reside. Now choose that forum and in that forums listing of post, at the top you will see a button for new post.

Bly

Is there a material I can print on with the UV set up that I have, that is made for iron on / heat transfer? I know I can use thermal vinyl on the plotter, and press it. Is the UV ink considered solvent? Still have allot to learn and I hope you can help.

I was looking at this stuff called Eco-Print...
http://www.imprintables.com/product/eco-print,487,70.htm
...and I have no clue if the UV ink is good for this.
Thanx to one and all....

The HP UV inks are waterbased pigment, not solvent.
Any media needs to be specially coated for pigment inks.

Suz

Hello Railroader,
You are doi'n just fine! I'm glad that SIGNAGE answered you on how to create a new thread. Sorry, I meant to do that, but suddenly had a few calls that took me away. Hope you post again. I'm interested to see if you get answers on your 5500 transfer question. By the way, I did find something that is supposed to work for the L25500 Latex. It arrived today, a sample from the manufacturer. We'll see if it works. Thanks!

Desert_Signs

No banding whatsoever! But then this poster is only 42" long.

I did a banner that was 16' long, same image. But there were problems. Not sure if it was the scrim banner, my file, or a combo.

Thanks Alti! Glad you think the poster looks good. I love it!

I know this was a while back, but looking at the pics of your banner, it looks to me like your ink limits are/were set too low. Did you ever get it figured out?

Suz

Hello Raged,
Thanks for the help on the banner print. Nope, never figured that out yet, but still working on it. I had been busy dealing with all kinds of stuff, I got a wobbly take up reel, so HP just sent me some new end caps for my spindle. My Tech contacted them and HP sent it right out. Also, issues with the Onyx software, it was buggy. Onyx extended my trial and now I'm able to print again. yay! So, just figuring out this whole profiling thing. Josh (BigFish) has been kind to help me with the profiles, so we will soon see what can be done with the banner material as I really need to sell some banners!!! Thanks for checking on me!

kyjoe340

Speaking of banners, my only problem with the L25500 is head strikes when printing banners. Anyone else having this problem? I'm using Advantage sign supplies Ultraflex Jetflex 13oz. After speaking to several techs and trying different vacuum settings, etc... nothing has helped. Rarely it will curl the edge up during printing, but everytime at the end of the print when it pulls the banner material back into the machine a few inches then quickly moves back out a couple of inches it puckers the material, then the print head coming over to measure something wads it up. Now when I'm printing a banner, at the end of the print I'm standing ready to give it a gentle tug to eliminate the puckered vinyl and head strike. Anyone else having this issue?

Desert_Signs

Speaking of banners, my only problem with the L25500 is head strikes when printing banners. Anyone else having this problem? I'm using Advantage sign supplies Ultraflex Jetflex 13oz. After speaking to several techs and trying different vacuum settings, etc... nothing has helped. Rarely it will curl the edge up during printing, but everytime at the end of the print when it pulls the banner material back into the machine a few inches then quickly moves back out a couple of inches it puckers the material, then the print head coming over to measure something wads it up. Now when I'm printing a banner, at the end of the print I'm standing ready to give it a gentle tug to eliminate the puckered vinyl and head strike. Anyone else having this issue?

Tension setting maybe? I've done overnight runs of Jetflex 13oz with no problems. In fact, I've never had a head strike with that material and I ran 5 or 6 rolls in the past month or 2. What are your tension, vacuum, and heat settings? I can check mine in the morning and compare.

Desert_Signs

Tension setting maybe? I've done overnight runs of Jetflex 13oz with no problems. In fact, I've never had a head strike with that material and I ran 5 or 6 rolls in the past month or 2. What are your tension, vacuum, and heat settings? I can check mine in the morning and compare.

Just looked mine up. Here's what I'm running:

Curing Temp: 110c
Drying Temp: 50c
Input Tension: 50 n/m
Vacuum: 5mm h20
Min Drying Power: 1.10 kw
Heat Airflow Percent: 35%

kyjoe340

Isn't the tension between the roll and pinch roller? The problem is after that, tension should have no effect. 50c and 110c, 45 airflow, 5mm vacuum, input tension 15. I'm using Signlab's rip, 15 was their preset tension.

If you're doing overnight runs obviously you're using the takeup reel with the tube inserted at bottom of loop. It was suggested to me by the HP tech to do this because it adds a little weight to gently pull the exiting material flat. My problem is I just do short banner runs usually not needing the takeup reel.

Desert_Signs

Isn't the tension between the roll and pinch roller? The problem is after that, tension should have no effect. 50c and 110c, 45 airflow, 5mm vacuum, input tension 15. I'm using Signlab's rip, 15 was their preset tension.

If you're doing overnight runs obviously you're using the takeup reel with the tube inserted at bottom of loop. It was suggested to me by the HP tech to do this because it adds a little weight to gently pull the exiting material flat. My problem is I just do short banner runs usually not needing the takeup reel.

Normally I only print a banner or 2 at a time. And even on overnight runs, I don't use the takeup reel. Banner tends to not roll that well unattended, so I let it pile into a box on the floor. I don't know why it's not working for you, it's been flawless for me.

Edit to add: According to the HP manual for the printer, "Input tension too low: The substrate skews and may become increasingly wrinkled in the printing zone."

Can't hurt to try turning it up.

kyjoe340

Thanks, I'll try it. I appreciate the help. On a side note, the print quality on banners and everything else is awesome. If I figure out the cause and solution I'll be sure and post it.

Suz

I know this was a while back, but looking at the pics of your banner, it looks to me like your ink limits are/were set too low. Did you ever get it figured out?

Hey Raged,

I wanted to report that YES I got the banner thing figured out. With Josh encouraging me, and after reading some posts on Onyx forum, here, and Josh's forum, I tried different settings and nailed it!!! Printing beautiful banners now! I didn't invest in new banner material yet, don't have to yet! I can use the stuff I had given to me that I just about threw out! It is 13 oz. scrim banner, I have gloss and matte. I think one is 54", the other I think is 36" or 42" (?) I'm at Art studio now, not shop, so just trying to remember what I have. Oh, and the brand is Kapco.

Suz

Thanks, I'll try it. I appreciate the help. On a side note, the print quality on banners and everything else is awesome. If I figure out the cause and solution I'll be sure and post it.

Kyjoe, yes, the banner prints are awesome when you have a profile that works!

By the way, yes I have had head strikes with banner. PAIN IN THE PATOOTIE!! Note: sickening green color. :banghead: My best guess is that the problem was material getting warped with the heat. Sat too long near heater and I should have advanced it a bit before running prints. Also, it's a good idea to select unload if you don't have more banners to print right away, just to prevent material warping (melting).

That is also what I think was causing the banding issues I was having. These ideas about advancing and unloading materials were suggested to me by someone on the Onyx forum. Some of the same people that are here are also on that forum. Give it a try if you haven't yet. Let us know what you figure out with your machine.

Oh, I should add that (Like Raged mentioned) I'm not using the take up. Just letting the material drop onto clean carpet when it is done printing. So, my problems with the head strike had nothing to do with tension on take up roller. In fact, I have not used the take up yet at all. Gotta figure that out next. ;) One thing at a time just to keep my stress level down. Learning is stressful! But it's all good.

Desert_Signs

Cool! I put my latex through the wringer this week. I ran 18 rolls of 13oz banner material. Yup, EIGHTEEN rolls (120' rolls). 200 3'x9' banners. I would normally sub out a job that big, but we were pretty slow so decided to do it ourselves. It was a simple 2 color job, text only. I created a new profile, CMYK only, 6 pass. It would print a roll in about 2.5 hours. I used 1 full cartridge of each magenta and cyan, plus about 100ml of each color additional. It was a lot of fun, and neat to see it run that hard with not a single problem. On top of that, my L25500 is over 3 years old. I still have a couple of the original printheads that were installed in October 2008, never been changed, although I have taken them out a couple times and wiped them down with a little water. I can't believe they haven't died yet!