• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex Printer arrived today...

Suz

Cool! I put my latex through the wringer this week. I ran 18 rolls of 13oz banner material. Yup, EIGHTEEN rolls (120' rolls). 200 3'x9' banners. I would normally sub out a job that big, but we were pretty slow so decided to do it ourselves. It was a simple 2 color job, text only. I created a new profile, CMYK only, 6 pass. It would print a roll in about 2.5 hours. I used 1 full cartridge of each magenta and cyan, plus about 100ml of each color additional. It was a lot of fun, and neat to see it run that hard with not a single problem. On top of that, my L25500 is over 3 years old. I still have a couple of the original printheads that were installed in October 2008, never been changed, although I have taken them out a couple times and wiped them down with a little water. I can't believe they haven't died yet!

Raged, WOW!!! This is great information. Puts my worries to bed about the printheads wearing out too soon. I'm so glad you posted this, it is so helpful. 18 rolls you ran? Musta smelled like a vinyl manufacturing plant in your shop! I guess your machine paid for itself (again). :notworthy:

RobbyMac

We're approaching 1 year and we're debating replacing printheads 'just because'. But I dunno, because they're all still printing just fine. Prints are great, tests show no missing heads, etc... So far we've only replaced a cyan head due to a head strike that knocked the head out of it's socket back in June.

Desert_Signs

Raged, WOW!!! This is great information. Puts my worries to bed about the printheads wearing out too soon. I'm so glad you posted this, it is so helpful. 18 rolls you ran? Musta smelled like a vinyl manufacturing plant in your shop! I guess your machine paid for itself (again). :notworthy:

Yeah, they'll run for a LONG time. The only time I've actually replaced them is when they were damaged due to a head strike. It sometimes actually rips the electrical contact film off. Occasionally the machine will say "replace xxx printhead" (the xxx being the particular color). Once, this happened and I didn't have a spare. I took the printhead out, it looked OK, so I cleaned it with regular water and one of the cloths in the HP cleaning kit. It's been running for months since and has no missing jets. In other words, don't throw it away just because the machine says to.

Another thing, the printhead cleaning kit, when it says it's full - it actually isn't. This is per an HP tech who told me this trick. I had a defective cleaning kit and I needed to print "right now". I called HP and the tech told me that you can get extra life out of a full kit using a little isopropyl alcohol, a rag, and piece of white vinyl, in an emergency. When you take a used cleaning kit out of your machine, you'll see a little white paper sticker on the top, kind of on the left hand side, toward the front of the kit in a shallow depression. This sticker will be covered in black ink. Take your iso and rag and clean the ink off around and on it. You don't have to get all the ink off the sticker itself, but the plastic does need to be clean. Take a small piece of white vinyl and cover the old sticker. Voila. New printhead cleaning kit. The way the machine "knows" it's new is that it looks for white in that spot. Once it registers it as replaced, it dumps black ink on it, so it "knows" it's not new. I wouldn't use it for very long like this, but it's good knowledge for an emergency.

Eventually, you will hear LOUD BANGS from your printer. It will scare the crap out of you. Trust me. :wink: This is because the lubricant on the rails is gone or "wore out". Follow the procedures to re-oil the rails, it's in the maintenance menu. The wipes on the sides of the printheads should be cleaned at the same time, even though the manual doesn't really tell you this. You'll need to turn your printer off. Open the window, reach in and move the carriage to the middle of the platen. On either side are small torx screws that hold a piece of plastic over the wipes. Remove the screws and the plastic pieces. The little fabric wipes are just sitting on there. Pull them out. You'll be amazed how nasty they are. I take them and run them under water until they're relatively clean. You can buy new ones from HP if they're really bad. Once clean, use the oil in the HP kit to saturate them. Replace, replace the plastic bit and screw, then oil the rail. Move the carriage back and forth a couple times. Voila, no more bangs!

If you have any questions, send me a message. I'd wager I've been running the L25500 at least as long, if not longer, than anyone on this board. We started with a beta printer in mid-2008 and got our production model in October 2008. I've pretty much seen it all.

Suz

We're approaching 1 year and we're debating replacing printheads 'just because'. But I dunno, because they're all still printing just fine. Prints are great, tests show no missing heads, etc... So far we've only replaced a cyan head due to a head strike that knocked the head out of it's socket back in June.

RobbyMac, Good post here from you too, thank youuuuuuu!!! I'm glad these are tanks, that was what my own research lead me to believe. But then I've never owned this big of a wide format before. I do have a few that are Medium format I think is what you would call them Epsons. One of them is the Epson 4000 and I got that used. Has some humungo cartridges in it too.

Raged, you are definately on my call list now. :thankyou: Careful what you wish for. Haha! You are the best, thanks for this information. By the way, I already got that print head replacement message thing, it pops up all the time, but prints look fine. If I do the cleaning thing, will that message pop up til I replace the head? Again, I see no problems with the print now. I'm sure message coming up is due to the flipping head strikes I've had. Again, no profiles given to me at first, I had to figure that all out. However, Josh (Bigfish) gave me profiles when I bought something from him recently and I had no issues with his stuff, what a joy that was! He's really great to get materials from. I could not even tell you for sure what head strike meant a few months ago. It ain't :banghead:, that is the self inflicted one.

Anyhow, you guys are the best. Happy New Year!:toasting:

Desert_Signs

Raged, you are definately on my call list now. :thankyou: Careful what you wish for. Haha! You are the best, thanks for this information. By the way, I already got that print head replacement message thing, it pops up all the time, but prints look fine. If I do the cleaning thing, will that message pop up til I replace the head? Again, I see no problems with the print now.

Can't promise the message won't come up now and again, but if you can remove it, wipe it down, and put it back and it works? Why not!

RobbyMac

Re: the oiling rails... we just got a maintenance message appear the printer last week telling us to oil the rails. went fairly quick.

Ran into that issue on the cleaning kit when installing a new one, although our problem was in the eye on the head needing cleaning (and not the pad).

Suz

Re: the oiling rails... we just got a maintenance message appear the printer last week telling us to oil the rails. went fairly quick.

Ran into that issue on the cleaning kit when installing a new one, although our problem was in the eye on the head needing cleaning (and not the pad).

This machine is like that old show I used to hate about the talking car "Knight Rider" with David Hasselhoff. :ROFLMAO: But the difference is, I Love my machine (unlike that stupid show). And thank God David Hasselhoff didn't come with it, or I would have shot myself by now.

Even my new cell phone talks to me! I'm amazed with all this stuff, even overwhelmed with it sometimes. Today, I was laughing at myself when I was at a Customer's business, and had to take some photos of their building and existing signage. So, forgetting where my icon was on the phone for Camera, I turn on the microphone and tell the phone to find my "Camera"... Well, the voice in the phone started questioning what I was asking for because it didn't hear me right. So, I had to keep repeating the request by saying "Camera" again. Pretty soon, I had a little audience staring at me. I just had to laugh, what the heck!

Well, I think there was too much background noise, so I had to find the dang camera icon myself! Just crazy!:doh:

midnite

Hi Suz ... Congrats on the HP, so happy for you.... The grandkids are cute, I got a bunch of my own... surprise me everyday. I am following this thread as well, really currious to see how you like this printer and software.
hey ... if your printing money --- how 'bout sending some --- can you do canadian 100's ??? ( i'm kidding)
enjoy the new stuff

Suz

Anti-plotter, Pain in the _____ is right. But what would we do with no cell phone now? Hooked!

midnite - Hey, good to hear from you again. Thanks for the compliment on Grandkids. We do have quite a few, so this is part of the entire tribe :) Glad you have a bunch as well, they do surprise you, don't they! By the way, I do love the printer and the software. They won't let me print any money for real yet, haha! But if I ever do.... Hey, I got a cash register for Christmas the year before last and practiced using it with monopoly money. I really did do this! That was fun! Would that work? :)

midnite

practiced on the cash register? ... we did the same while programing it .... you know what they say about practice ...makes perfect. glad to hear you are enjoying the HP:toasting: Money .... isn't it strange how we all chase the green back the way we do ...... buuuut... it's all part of the game. you shuld print a $500 dollar bill ( oversize of course ) with your picture on it ..would be fun. Anyway ... you have a great day as for us, 16 sleeps till we head for Mexico for a couple of weeks:Cool 2:

RobbyMac

Wouldn't you know, now that I open my mouth about not replacing heads, we are noticing a slight color shift in the reds/oranges. My guess is;
A) The eye is dirty and not detecting/adjusting color
or more likely
B) Magenta heads need replaced.

Either way, I am in the middle of a hauler wrap and won't dare change anything until it's finished printing.
More later, but for the moment it looks like we got about a year out of the heads.

Suz

midnite, Yes, practice makes perfect - need more of the green stuff, that is for sure!
Mexico sounds great & a great way to kick off a new year. Glad you guys can get away!

RobbyMac, sorry if you got jinxed with having to replace the heads! But aren't you glad it's not $1,000.00 a head? Were you able to get your wrap job done alright? Hope so! I'm really looking forward to doing some of those kind of jobs myself someday and hopefully soon. Anyhow, hope you get it done! :)

kyjoe340

I have an update on my banner problem a few posts back. A tech came by and we tried some different settings well outside of the suggested profiles but it worked. Most profiles for the Jetflex 13oz banner are 50 drying, 110 curing, 5 vacuum and 15 tension. Wound up with 51 dry, 90 cure, 30 vac (45 worked good also), and 30 tension. Bumping up the drying and dropping the curing helped to keep the banner cooler overall and a little more rigid helping keep it flat at the end of the process i described earlier. The increased vacuum was needed also.

dypinc

You just showed why canned profiles do not work very well a lot of times. The L25500 is very dependent on environment, especially altitude as your vacuum setting shows. At 90 on the curing I would keep a close eye out for oil prints especially if you're winding up the banners. With the right ink limits you may not see a problem.

Suz

Kyjoe, that is so great!!! Glad you got the banner problems figured out, yay! Yes, we are all having to play around with settings, even with a profile that is supposed to work. So, now it makes sense to just make yourself a temperature controlled room. I may have to do that soon. Good luck & hope it keeps going smoothly!

I have an update on my banner problem a few posts back. A tech came by and we tried some different settings well outside of the suggested profiles but it worked. Most profiles for the Jetflex 13oz banner are 50 drying, 110 curing, 5 vacuum and 15 tension. Wound up with 51 dry, 90 cure, 30 vac (45 worked good also), and 30 tension. Bumping up the drying and dropping the curing helped to keep the banner cooler overall and a little more rigid helping keep it flat at the end of the process i described earlier. The increased vacuum was needed also.

Suz

New Computer Station for the Latex

Well, we are going to give Caldera a Trial! The only thing holding me back from wanting to do this was the fact that it won't run off PC without some fancy footwork, haha!

We decided it would be best to get a newer faster (smaller) laptop to run the Caldera and turn it into a dedicated Linux ripping station for the HP L25500. This is what we found at Best Buy, $350.00 less 10% for display model:

TechTack - Lessons, Reviews, News and Tutorials: Asus X54C-BBK3 laptop

So, success! For well under $500.00, we have a laptop that fills all the requirements (so we think!!). We'll be installing the Version 9, 64 bit, Linux Debian. So, newest version. Support will be available for longer, so that made sense.

I did post a little about this new computer on another thread, but thought I should add it here since I'm going to post again about how we like the Calera, after using Onyx.

Thanks for listening and thank you all for your support and help along the way! :thumb: Will post more later as we get it up and running.

Last edited:

Suz

Back to the drawing board...

So, looks like our New laptop is not the answer for running Caldera. It has an AMD processor and I am being told by folks at Caldera that Nvidia is the way to go and they don't suggest the AMD. So...I guess the laptop goes back to the store. Thankfully, we have not removed any Windows stuff from the comptuer.

So, I will continue to focus on my Embroidery and Design stuff for now. I have so much to do! Just completed two new designs for large jacket backs. One day soon, this Latex will be running like the Champ I know that it is!!!! Sounds like one of my children now, but this one is eventually (soon) going to pay the rent!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1817.jpg
    IMG_1817.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 99

Desert_Signs

So, looks like our New laptop is not the answer for running Caldera. It has an AMD processor and I am being told by folks at Caldera that Nvidia is the way to go and they don't suggest the AMD. So...I guess the laptop goes back to the store. Thankfully, we have not removed any Windows stuff from the comptuer.

So, I will continue to focus on my Embroidery and Design stuff for now. I have so much to do! Just completed two new designs for large jacket backs. One day soon, this Latex will be running like the Champ I know that it is!!!! Sounds like one of my children now, but this one is eventually (soon) going to pay the rent!!!

Nvidia is a graphics hardware manufacturer. Nvidia, AFAIK does not make processors. You're pretty much going to have to use AMD or Intel for the CPU. Even if you go buy an Apple, you're going to have an Intel processor.

Your laptop may very well have an Nvidia graphics card. I'll have to go back and look at what you bought.

Edit to add: If the laptop you're talking about is the Asus you reference earlier, it doesn't have any AMD parts in it. It's an Intel CPU, with Intel graphics card. A Mac Mini (which is what a lot of folks, including me run) also uses a very similar processor and graphics processor. All Intel. I'm confused why Ernst (if that's who you're talking to) would tell you what he did.

nate

Edit to add: If the laptop you're talking about is the Asus you reference earlier, it doesn't have any AMD parts in it. It's an Intel CPU, with Intel graphics card. A Mac Mini (which is what a lot of folks, including me run) also uses a very similar processor and graphics processor. All Intel. I'm confused why Ernst (if that's who you're talking to) would tell you what he did.

I think they're saying nvidia graphics work best with the debian distro they're using. That being said I have a have machines with ATI (who AMD purchased) chipsets in them that work just fine. The easiest thing to do is try to load Caldera's Debian. If it works, it works. If not then it doesn't.