• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making Decisions - Banners we Offer

Suz

Hi All!

Okay, I got my banner on! Hehe! So, success finally, and we are printing for Customers! Yay! Just starting with Banners and Posters since we have plenty of that.

Pricing Posters is pretty easy, but banners, there are quite a few variables. I won't go over price, not the place for it.:loveya:

My research the past couple of days has brought me to both Vista Prints website, and also to the Staples Print website. I figure that most people are familiar with both of those and I thought it was a good place to start, just to see how they are marketing their banners and what the features are. They both look to be offering just a 10 oz and you have the option of 15 oz for more $$$. Vista Prints charges a fee to upload your own design or logo, but Staples Prints online does not. But they both have plenty of templates you can use no charge that can be edited or added to.

I called my local(ist) Staples to see what their prices were at the store. They were using an HP Aqueous "Z" series printer, and they said "powder" inks. The person I spoke with said that this was waterproof and good for outdoor use. She did not say it was laminated. She did not say how long the banner would hold up. Their prices (although not listing them here) were more than double what Staples Printing online had. I was glad to see that as I know that they do interact with Customers quite a bit, as I do. This is the only place I'm going to list a price.... Here goes: the local STAPLES does charge $1.00 per grommet and they are brass. They could not tell me the size of the grommet. Oh, and they could not even tell me the weight or the ounces of the banner material. They offer cut edges, or folded and taped. They do not offer sewn edges. If you do not have a graphic or layout to give them, they do offer help with your graphics, for a fee. I was glad to see that too. Their turn around time is roughly 2 days for one banner.

So, I feel that Staples on-line is really not my competition, nor is Vista Press. Buyers are pretty much on their own on those websites and they can be tedious when the internet is slow. Heck, the waiting times on shipping are very long and I think I can blow them out of the water there, as long as my machine cooperates!

What I want to know is....

Do you cut the edges of your banners? Sew? Tape?
If sewing or taping, is there an "additional fee" that you are adding?
Not asking what the fee is, just asking if you are adding a fee.
If sewing, do you do in-house, or do you sub it out to local seamstress/seamster?

Are you using 13 oz Banner material? 15 oz Banner material? Do your Customers order more Matte Banner, or more Gloss Banner?

Since this is in the HP Forum, which HP Printer are you using? Which banner weights are you using most?

Will 15 oz banner material run in the L25500 Latex machine? I've only had good results with the 13 oz so far.

Do you use nickel or brass grommets? Do you use plastic adhesive hangers, like Vista Prints offers? Also, is this just included in your sq. ft. print price, or do you have and "additional" fee per grommet (?)

Do you offer standard sizes for banners? If so, do you charge extra if Customer wants a Custom Size which is not on your standard banner size list?

Thanks so much for your input!

Mosh

14 oz material, nickel grometts (3/8") and sewn hems (we have a machine).
3x6 $60, 3x8 $80, 4x6 $80, 4x8 $100. No design fee, unless it starts being work.
Includes 8 grommetts, 3 top and bottom each and one on the center of each side.

Thank you.

HulkSmash

14 oz material, nickel grometts (3/8") and sewn hems (we have a machine).
3x6 $60, 3x8 $80, 4x6 $80, 4x8 $100. No design fee, unless it starts being work.
Includes 8 grommetts, 3 top and bottom each and one on the center of each side.

Thank you.

This pricing is good if you want to charge 3.33 a sqft, and make barely nothing.

You can easily get double that.

signswi

"How to price products 101" shouldn't be in this forum and there have been a million threads on the topic.

Take some night classes.

GP

We have learned that we cannot base our business practices on on-line pricing. And sadly, with few exceptions, one-off banners would not be enough to live off of, especially if Mosh was set up around the corner.

We stand by our quality, design experience and customer service - the customer will always find a cheaper product. And if they are simply concerned with price, our shop is probably not the best fit anyways.

Generally, we offer a premium 13-15 ounce banner material (hems and grommets are included) as well as simple layout. Design and branding consultation is always extra.

I would share more in the premium forums.

Good luck,

GP

signswi

Feel better now?

How about you? Would you open a product business without understanding basic product pricing? That would make me feel pretty bad. I'm good though, thanks for asking.

:goodpost:

Suz run a search for "pricing" in the title, sort by threads with comments of at least 2. Tons of them about banners, wraps, whatever...the advice is always basically the same. Figure out your shop overhead and your markup, adjust to fit local market OR figure out a shop rate and calculate product cost by materials cost + (all employee time on project x shop rate) and adjust to fit local market.

overhead=your costs (ALL costs--materials, rent, electricity, insurance, employee salary, typically calculated hourly)
markup=ratio you need to multiply your overhead costs by in order to hit your target profit margin
shop rate=amount you need to charge hourly to hit your target profit margin after overhead deductions

This is basics you can break this sort of thing down a number of different ways, everyone has their own formulas. You need to figure out your own formulas or use a pricing guide (bleh, do not recommend). Sign industry specific pricing software can help you out (check out SignVOX, Cyrious, etc.).

dypinc

"Do you cut the edges of your banners? Sew? Tape?"

Weld hem them. Rarely us tape except for some material. Never sewn anymore.

"If sewing or taping, is there an "additional fee" that you are adding?"

Always quote prices complete and most others want to tack on cost, and explain how they can get a cheaper banner without anything added.

"Are you using 13 oz Banner material? 15 oz Banner material? Do your Customers order more Matte Banner, or more Gloss Banner? Since this is in the HP Forum, which HP Printer are you using? Which banner weights are you using most?"

10oz, 13oz, 15oz, 18oz, and double sided. More Matte.

"Will 15 oz banner material run in the L25500 Latex machine? I've only had good results with the 13 oz so far. Do you use nickel or brass grommets? Do you use plastic adhesive hangers, like Vista Prints offers? Also, is this just included in your sq. ft. print price, or do you have and "additional" fee per grommet (?)"

Answered above.

"Do you use nickel or brass grommets? Do you use plastic adhesive hangers, like Vista Prints offers? Also, is this just included in your sq. ft. print price, or do you have and "additional" fee per grommet (?)"

Brass mostly. Only additional fees are for extra design work.

"Do you offer standard sizes for banners? If so, do you charge extra if Customer wants a Custom Size which is not on your standard banner size list?"

Any size including tiled banners and small billboards seam welding together.

TheSnowman

Mosh is the notorious lowballer and he's proud of it since day one on the board. You can get more than $3.33 sqft.

HulkSmash

How about you? Would you open a product business without understanding basic product pricing? That would make me feel pretty bad. I'm good though, thanks for asking.

Suz run a search for "pricing" in the title, sort by threads with comments of at least 2. Tons of them about banners, wraps, whatever...the advice is always basically the same. Figure out your shop overhead and your markup, adjust to fit local market OR figure out a shop rate and calculate product cost by materials cost + (all employee time on project x shop rate) and adjust to fit local market.

overhead=your costs (ALL costs--materials, rent, electricity, insurance, employee salary, typically calculated hourly)
markup=ratio you need to multiply your overhead costs by in order to hit your target profit margin
shop rate=amount you need to charge hourly to hit your target profit margin after overhead deductions

This is basics you can break this sort of thing down a number of different ways, everyone has their own formulas. You need to figure out your own formulas or use a pricing guide (bleh, do not recommend). Sign industry specific pricing software can help you out (check out SignVOX, Cyrious, etc.).

this!

10sacer

What you can "get" for any given wide format project is dependent upon any number of factors - not the least of which is what your local competition is charging for them.

I recommend doing a little market research and come up with a "real job" and get it quoted out to at least 5 shops within 25 miles of you. if they are all averaging around $5 a square foot (including standard finishing - hems and grommets) - then would it make alot of sense for you to charge A) significantly less or B) significantly more. If A - you would be giving money away unnecessarily and if B - you won't be printing banners very long in your area.

But your price needs to account for all your time and expenditures. Everything I own is paid for - so technically I could charge much less than most of my competitors because my cost per piece is lower - but I don't do that. Don't price yourself out of work.

J

john1

Typically printed banners are $6 PSF around here and i use 13oz ultraflex banner, power tape hem tape around edges with 3/8" nickle grommets (personal preference on the color vs brass). I print, cut trim the edges and trim any bleed if the banner has bleed. Hem tape, grommet with my grommet machine and collect the $

You should ALWAYS charge for any kind of art set up, I do a minimum of $15 if it's just text and hourly for anything more. You have to charge something for even the most basic layout because you need to send proofs and things which take time.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We have learned that we cannot base our business practices on on-line pricing. And sadly, with few exceptions, one-off banners would not be enough to live off of, especially if Mosh was set up around the corner.

We stand by our quality, design experience and customer service - the customer will always find a cheaper product. And if they are simply concerned with price, our shop is probably not the best fit anyways.

Generally, we offer a premium 13-15 ounce banner material (hems and grommets are included) as well as simple layout. Design and branding consultation is always extra.

I would share more in the premium forums.

Good luck,

GP

Suz

"How to price products 101" shouldn't be in this forum and there have been a million threads on the topic.

Take some night classes.

Signswi,

No need to take a night class here. I have actually been doing banners a long time, years ago with brush painting, then in more recent years with cad-cutting. Wide format digital prints are new for me, I'm posting in the appropriate area and asking in the HP forum because I own an HP printer.

I did not ask people to list their pricing here, I'm asking what services and materials (what quality????) people are offering and I think that is reasonable. I did do some searching here to find some answers.

The per grommet price is the only thing that I put a price on. That's not my price, just an observation of what a local office supply store is offering. Not gonna fight with you or take it personally. I'm sure my post will get moved removed if it is inappropriate. Or, I'll just get whipped!

Thanks for your input.

Flame

per grommet, with or without hem tape, and having 6 different weights of banner material. Hmmm, leave that kind of **** to office supply stores who sell a few banners here and there. Take the advice of real sign and print shops and ditch that whole mentality.

Take signswi's advice and come up with what works for you. Me personally, I offer 13oz or 18oz, matte or gloss (though not ONE customer I can think of in 8 years has ever had a preference), have a square footage price for full color banners and a few discount programs if you buy in bulk (which I do not list, I simply quote out on a per job basis). Everything gets either hemmed edges or pole pockets and unless they request no grommets, the banner will of course come with grommets. I prefer nickel myself, seems the most popular is gold, but unless customer wants to order 100 banners or more, they really don't get a say on what color or size I use.

Hope some of that helps.

We offer 13 gloss here, seems to be the most popular.

Grommets, hemmed (with tape) and design are all extra added fees. We can get them sewn locally if needed.

13oz gloss or matte, price includes hems and grommets.
I cant see charging extra for hems and grommets when they are part of a finished banner. That would be like going to a painter to get your house painted and he tells you it will cost extra for him to use a brush, otherwise he will just use his fingers...
I have never had a customer request to not have grommets on a banner and most of them have no idea what a hem even is nor should they.
Most customers come to a sign shop because they want to buy a banner. Finished.
Not to be nickel and dimed to death for extra stuff that should be on the finished piece in the first place.
Price yourself in line with the local competition and you will be fine.