• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making Decisions - Banners we Offer

signswi

Signswi,

No need to take a night class here. I have actually been doing banners a long time, years ago with brush painting, then in more recent years with cad-cutting. Wide format digital prints are new for me, I'm posting in the appropriate area and asking in the HP forum because I own an HP printer.

I did not ask people to list their pricing here, I'm asking what services and materials (what quality????) people are offering and I think that is reasonable. I did do some searching here to find some answers.

The per grommet price is the only thing that I put a price on. That's not my price, just an observation of what a local office supply store is offering. Not gonna fight with you or take it personally. I'm sure my post will get moved removed if it is inappropriate. Or, I'll just get whipped!

Thanks for your input.

I meant business night classes so you can price product effectively. Be aware that design is a lot different than banner painting or cut vinyl but that's another thread (there's one like this in the design forum right now!).

It's easy to lose your *** in a sign shop if you aren't pricing effectively but I can see we've already been derailed by mosh and his crazy "i hate the government but they pay me to grow beans also i make signs and underprice them because it's a hobby but i post opinions about sign business pricing regardless" theories.

:popcorn:

Here's a flowchart on pricing advice from mosh:

Is this a question about pricing beans? -> If yes, ask mosh; else ignore mosh

dypinc

Well, when bean prices get too low I get a governmet sub check, thanks democrats....

How do you know I am not getting a government sub check for printing banners?

I can do them at $1.50 a square foot that way and get more business than I want.

Billboards at $.75.

Thanks Obama!

Tim Aucoin

Great, entertaining thread here Sue!
To answer your questions (better late than never)...

- I run 13oz. and 16oz. on the Latex with no issues whatsoever
- I tape hem all banners unless asked to do otherwise
- I grommet all banners unless asked to do otherwise
- I always use nickel grommets. I think the brass looks cheap and the nickel looks more classy
- I always quote banners with a price that INCLUDES hemming and grommets. I am over $7 and under $10 per square foot in most instances.

Banners are easy, fast, fun and great profit makers.

And for the record... MOSH... I absolutely love the motivational video you posted the link to. That is fantastic stuff. The website for that company is actually a great resource for many things if you've had a chance to view it. I will be using this guy's stuff in the future. Thanks for posting the link. Great find!

I also LOVE what I do. I will never get rich in THIS business... that I know for sure... that's why I do other things! I continue doing what I do here because yes, it does pay (some of the) bills, but also because I take great pride and enjoy helping people with their needs. I don't give stuff away, but I also don't gouge people. I provide premium products at an affordable price. If my wife didn't work at a great job and bring home triple what I do, then I wouldn't be in this business, as we wouldn't be able to afford to live. Fortunately she has a great job with great income and that allows me to continue to do what I love doing... for now! :smile:

Suz

I meant business night classes so you can price product effectively. Be aware that design is a lot different than banner painting or cut vinyl but that's another thread (there's one like this in the design forum right now!).

Signswi,

It's all good... You actually did come back and say some sensible things. I read your other post too, which I thought was good advice. I'll admit I did feel a little silly at first though, but decided to stick with it and got lots of interesting answers, which lead me back to why I started this thread. So thank you all!

Thank you goes to Mosh especially. Beans or banners, Great stuff! :)
What is a boom shanka anyhow? Do you have a monkey?
http://www.russellhardman.com/store/print store/pages/chillum.htm
:thumb:

Hey Tim, where ya been? Yeah, I'm entertained too. You are such a help. I'm glad you love what you do Tim. Your wife sounds pretty special. I think you are right, we do this because we enjoy it, it is not all about money. Happy New Year to you & Thank you for your input here! Wishing you great success (hey, and some good money too!) in 2012!!!

OldPaint

what i see from most of the posts, what used to a be a very high profit business where the ones doing the work.......because of their talent and artistic ability has now become a "hobby & part time & doing it because you like giving stuff away business" for those with nothing more then more money and time then talent." that about sums it up dont it???
like ive said before, the money for a printer, material to print on the inks....has most people in a working for materials/inks/payment and getting 10% profit MAYBE....endeavorer where there is nothing that separates one from the other.... other then who can do the job for the cheapest price!!!!!
what other trade business can you think of where the people in the trade cut each others prices.....JUST TO GET THE WORK??? call a plumber, $60 for a service call. electrician $60-100 service call. HVAC $60-80 service call and last on the list even the SEPTIC TANK TRUCK people.......dont take schit for less money then the guy down the street!!!!

kstompaint

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with OP. Maybe it's his new found respect for lower case letters.