• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Owners of the HP L25500

Kevin-shopVOX

Thats not true cause the inks are 775Ml and you dont need to replace after every cartridge

Maybe it was after 400L? I did hear heads have to be replaced after....? I just can't remember the number. I believe it was less than a year on average. I could have heard wrong as that has been known to happen.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Maybe it was after 400L? I did hear heads have to be replaced after....? I just can't remember the number. I believe it was less than a year on average. I could have heard wrong as that has been known to happen.

The heads are cheap, not like on a solvent printer. HP Latex Heads are only $95 and can be replaced by a 2 year old. Its alot like the 5500's and the Z6100's

MachServTech

Realistically do you see it as a viable replacement for solvent inks, leaving the eco-friendly aspect out of the equation? Better, equal, not quite as good as solvent? From what I'm hearing it almost sounds too good to be true but I haven't found the catch yet. Maybe there really isn't one...

I think our industry can be slow to adopt new technologies, especially when you are essentially putting all of your eggs in HP's basket. I haven't found a real downside yet. I am paying less for ink than I did running 3rd party in a HP 9000. (primarily from waste ink savings) I dont have the daily maintenace issues of dealing with a solvent printer and I have better, more reliable print quality. (replaceable printheads)

Letterbox Mike

So from a marketability standpoint how is it being received? Are your customers caring that it's "green" technology" or are they not concerned with it? Are people resistant to spending more for some of the recyclable or biodegradable medias and substrates available or are you finding people willing to spend a few bucks more to be eco-conscious?

We've been polling alot of our larger clients (mostly agencies) about their potential interest in this technology and the overwhelming response I'm getting is "if it's more expensive, we don't care about being green". This is obviously in response to the demands of their clientèle, but it's surprising to me and to them that some very large well-known companies out there that we/they work for who claim to be very concerned with the green movement will only do so if it doesn't cost them any more money.

marcsitkin

For a shop like mine, which is not primarily focused on solvent media output, but likes to offer banners, vinyl vehicle graphics and other types of prints better done on traditional solvent media, it was a good choice.

We never ran our previous solvent machine every day, and paid the price in wasted ink, wasted time in maintenance, and sometimes a lot of time spent getting the machine going again after letting it sit idle. When the time came to replace our aging Mimaki JV3, I wanted a machine more similar to my aqueous printers, and the HP is really close.

The HP requires no daily maintenance, and has fired up without a hitch after being idle for a week or more. As much as I hate the cyclical nature of the business, I find that it's getting more cyclical, not less. When there's work, there's plenty to do, but there care long periods of nothing to do. So this machine seems to be a better fit.

I'm not a big fan of bulk ink supplies, and prefer the consistency and reliability of OEM supplied cartridges. I don't sell at the bottom dollar price, so saving a dime per square foot (maybe?) makes no difference. The HP ink goes a long way, and is fairly priced. Color gamut is good, and there is minimal odor.

With a little fooling around, the machine seems to run a wide variety of materials well enough that the customers are happy. Can it hit the same gamut as one of my 12 color machines? No. But then again, I don't need it to.

Really, it's how the machine performs over the long haul that counts, and whether the ROI works. Time will tell!

MachServTech

So from a marketability standpoint how is it being received? Are your customers caring that it's "green" technology" or are they not concerned with it? Are people resistant to spending more for some of the recyclable or biodegradable medias and substrates available or are you finding people willing to spend a few bucks more to be eco-conscious?

I find that I spend about 30% less to produce on this machine compared to the Seiko and Hp 9000 I have. (I went through a lot of ink keeping those machines clean and operational)

Its close the same cost compared to the 3rd part ecosol I was running.

I dont use the recyclable HP banner or paper, in fact I don't even market the green message to my customers.

MachServTech

Has anyone run magnetic media on the HP? Thinking about the type used for vehicle magnets.

No, but I am really interested because there are no metal plates on the print platen for the magnetic to stick to, I think it might work very well.

Please post and let us know if you tried it and if you had any success.

wonsngis

I find that I spend about 30% less to produce on this machine compared to the Seiko and Hp 9000 I have. (I went through a lot of ink keeping those machines clean and operational)

Its close the same cost compared to the 3rd part ecosol I was running.

I dont use the recyclable HP banner or paper, in fact I don't even market the green message to my customers.

So, Mach, if you don't mind my asking... what 3rd party were you running in your 9000 and how much were you paying?

vroongraphics

Just heard from source at Joto that the latex ink works with heat transfer materials....they researched this topic for me, as I was weighing the pros/cons of purchasing either a Roland VP540i or HP latex printer (which I got a sweet quote on!). Only concern was whether or not I can print on transfer vinyl for doing apparel....now I know, and am seriously considering going with the HP latex inks....

Tim Aucoin

I've been sitting on the fence about this printer for a while now. Just got back from the franchise Conference in Ontario. HP has offered us what looks like a very sweet deal on this printer....

3 months no payments (if I choose to lease)
Cost of $19,499 (not including the RIP or freight)
2 complete sets of ink included
Installation & training included

Keep in mind these are CDN $! One owner signed the deal at Conference last week... said it was a very good deal.

Any thoughts? This would act as back-up/replacement for my Roland SP540V. I've also been told that Onyx can print the Roland cut marks so I could cut on the 540.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

E36

I've been sitting on the fence about this printer for a while now. Just got back from the franchise Conference in Ontario. HP has offered us what looks like a very sweet deal on this printer....

3 months no payments (if I choose to lease)
Cost of $19,499 (not including the RIP or freight)
2 complete sets of ink included
Installation & training included

Keep in mind these are CDN $! One owner signed the deal at Conference last week... said it was a very good deal.

Any thoughts? This would act as back-up/replacement for my Roland SP540V. I've also been told that Onyx can print the Roland cut marks so I could cut on the 540.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is a very sweet deal indeed. The price is 42" or 60"?

divimaging

do you put your machines in nobreak ?

i had 3 day down because of error 86:01... and started work suddenly.

I'm not satisfied with this machine

lets see in the future..

I've had the printer for over 8 months and love it. It's fast and virtually maintenance free. However after about 4 months and LOTS of use (I'm talking 6-7 hours a day, 5 days a week running) I started getting substrate jam errors (86:01) even though there wasn't any! After trial and error I figured out that the rod the printhead carriage slides on needed to be lubricated. The substrate jams were caused by friction along the rod. Problem solved, so I thought. About a month later it started happening again and no amount of lube fixed it. It would make a hideous sound while initializing like it was scraping across something with lots of force as it moved, then the 86:01 substrate jam error would appear and I had to shut the machine down and try to start it again... same problem over and over. After more trial and error I found that there's also an UPPER rod that the carraige slides on that's out of sight when looking down at the platen. After lubing this rod the machine has been fine. Hope this helps you in the future!

WrapperX

In the Wasatch rip is a button labeled "prepare printer" which gets it going up to temp. If you hit it before you set up your file in the rip, it shaves a little time off the warm-up.

Heat-up time seems to be no more than our Mimaki JV3 had.

Is there an option on Onyx 10? That would help us out alot!

WrapperX

Very Good sir! Thanks - that's gonna save some time on waiting for the printer to get up and going. Sweet!

:rock-n-roll:

Edwin Mukiria

Hello,
Just recently joined signs101, and am looking at purchasing the HP L25500 but still have a few questions.
I'm not so sure how well this printer will print on thicker media, especially backlit media, also how well does the latex ink stand up to the sun and the elements outdoors?
Any opinions?
Thanks!
Edwin