• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions and critiques of design invited

Craig Sjoquist

Well I do like how it has progressed .... it has improved each time including last
.. although I liked the shroom to be filled like in #8 post ...now ya got 2 which looks great maybe fill one or 2 ??
just noticed ..make ..the smaller.. raise the rest of copy, putting eye just above center

Tiki

Font Sage
Maybe put the trumpet's in a reverse panel

Attachments

• 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 169

signmeup

Dubious type face selection for all of them. The lumpy ones on top will never do and the face used on the bottom two is discordant, It looks as if the upper case is from a different face than the lower. As well as being too light with way too much spacing.

And what is that thing over there on the left? A clogged funnel? The business end of a pilot relief tube? Perhaps you might try for the more obscure and go with a swan. As in black trumpeter swan. Whatever you use, make it part of the thing and not floating disembodied over there on the side.
Bob,

See post #2

signmeup

Thanks for that suggestion Tiki. The little panel looks good. I don't care for the fonts personally but I bow to your superior design skills. I'm looking for something a little rough for the font. Anyone have a good looking lumpy font they can recommend?

signmeup

Dan,

I have no idea what a weird mushroom has to do with coffee. The guy is a fancy chef (the kind that cooks with weird mushrooms) and makes his money on the food so I also can't fathom why the double emphasis on coffee either. The customer has a business name and I get to figure out how to make a sign that will work for his shop. Glad you liked the Fritz! I have something in my head that will look great as a dimesional sign but it's sometimes hard to get on the screen. I know it wants a lumpy font....

Steve C.

I like your last post with the double trumpet. I also like the font used in post
#11. I think there may be a little too much negitive space, I'd enlarge the
main copy a little the way Tikiboy has. I'd also enlarge the T in trumpet to
match the B. I like the black and gold, don't like the school bus yellow. Also
might consider a borderarounw the whole thing. JMO.

signmeup

Thanks for your views Steve. Here's where I am now. You have to imagine this with 3D lettering. Going to pack it in for the night now.

Attachments

• BlackTrumpet5sm.jpg
    BlackTrumpet5sm.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 131

Artildawn

Sorry, I just can't get past the graphic. It started off looking like a golf tee, and now looks like something rolled up, or perhaps a really thin vase.

If you're determined to include the mushroom in the graphics than it should look more like the mushroom. I'd be inclined to use a more traditional coffee cup and lay a couple black trumpets in front of it.

Last edited:

Artildawn

very quick photoshop sketch based on some black trumpets found on line.

Attachments

• bt-coffee.jpg
    bt-coffee.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 176

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob,

See post #2

Gag. all the more reason to use something else. Would you want to ingest anything prepared in a place named after something that looks like a hippopotamus's asshole?

dman0427

Thanks for your views Steve. Here's where I am now. You have to imagine this with 3D lettering. Going to pack it in for the night now.

Out of all the different versions I do like this one the best (for the font)
those abstract renderings of the shrooms are still a bit puzzling tho'.
But at the same time I like how it looks. I'm just trying to think of it from a normal persons perspective who wouldn't be educated on the various fungi.

I wouldn't have known what they were unless I read the posts above explainning that black trumpets were mushrooms.

I also like tikis idea of having the square combined with the trumpets.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Questions that come to my mind are...

What is the decor/design of the restaurant?
What kind of food?
What colors are going on in the restaurant that the logo or sign can compliment?
Are you designing it for the 16' sign or designing it as a logo?
Did the client ask for an image of the repugnant fungi on the logo?
Your layout looks sorta similar to this: http://www.blacktrumpetbistro.com/

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Without knowing your answers, here is another idea... kind of a bistro late 20-30's feel to it....

Attachments

• BLACK TRUMPET.jpg
    BLACK TRUMPET.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 163

signmeup

Questions that come to my mind are...

What is the decor/design of the restaurant?
What kind of food?
What colors are going on in the restaurant that the logo or sign can compliment?
Are you designing it for the 16' sign or designing it as a logo?
Did the client ask for an image of the repugnant fungi on the logo?
Your layout looks sorta similar to this: http://www.blacktrumpetbistro.com/
Well crap! That's way too close. I'll have to find a different approch. Really like the look they have though.

The colours are golds and burnt orange and browns. Sign and logo both.

Thanks for the layouts too. They look great. The mushroom idea is going to be lost on pretty much everyone as near as I can tell but what can you do?

Last edited:

signmeup

Thanks for the layouts Philip. The icon is a bit thin for that bold a font but it appears I need a new icon anyway. Maybe a more realistic shroom.

TheSellOut

Does it have to be the mushroom? The average joe is going to think of the instrument. So what about something along these lines?!

Attachments

• The Black Trumpet.jpg
    The Black Trumpet.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 149