• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions and critiques of design invited

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think you need a stylized shroom, a realistic will still be lost or look like a flower or look plain ugly, it not the best looking schroom. Without knowing what the interior, exterior and food is, your ideas could be generic. I think knowing those things are important, otherwise we are looking at a decorative layout and not a logo at all.

signmeup

Thanks Rick.....I think you've got it pegged. I think the chef is counting on his customers knowing what a black trumpet is. I don't fall into the group he is trying to attract. I'm more the fish'n chips type when I go to a restaurant.

I'll pitch the stylized shrooms that I came up with. They look like the other companies you found but I did come up with it on my own. Time for the second meeting with Cheff before I go to any more effort.

Jillbeans

I really like Rick's take because his mushrooms look whimsical.
I do not like your font choices, especially on the latter versions.
Here's my weak attempt at turning the mushroom into sort of a (sinister-looking) coffee cup.
Mine is a bit Halloweenical in coloring, I guess it's just that time of year!
As always, I revert to using Arthur Vanson's fonts because I love them.
I love bob's hippo comment too.
:wink:
The script and the mushroom are supposed to be dimensional.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 153

signmeup

Gag. all the more reason to use something else. Would you want to ingest anything prepared in a place named after something that looks like a hippopotamus's asshole?
Funny stuff bob... you're supposed to ingest the mushroom.

Last edited:

signmeup

Very nice font Jill. I like the giant mushroom in the corner. I like how it's bigger than the sign. Gives me an idear....Thanks!

Ricks layout is very nice but the mushrooms look too much like wrought iron work and not like any sort of organic item. I think people would have even less luck figuring out that a black trumpet was a mushroom after seeing it. It would avoid the hassle of expaining to people what the weird things on the sign were all the time though.

Marlene

is this mushroom something like Dulse where the locals will know what it is? if so, the double mushrooms looks nice. if not, maybe a little hint of something like grass or a log to show it is something growing. the rough font you started with way back in the first post isn't all that bad. I also like the skewed panel behind the mushroom that Tiki did.

signmeup

I've been thinking along the same lines Marlene. A bit of grass or something to make it more organic.... Jills goes there a bit.
The Black Trumpet is a delicasy like caviar or something as far as I can determine. Most of us don't know about it. It's snooty upper end stuff.

The rough, informal font goes with the rough texture of the shroom although, looking back, the original font is a bit too heavy for the weight of the icon.

Marlene

so it isn't a local thing that will be reconized. I would make it look like it is growing so those who don't know will get the idea that it is something to eat. people hate feeling stupid so if they mistake it for a musical instrument and then find out it is food, they will have some inner hostile feelings which is the last thing the business wants. it like not being able to pronounce a restaurant's name, it ticks people off even if they aren't aware of it.

54warrior

Interesting name. I bet if you took a poll of the general population, <1% would know that a black trumpet is a type of mushroom.

Good luck with your design. I liked the last one in your very first post.

signmeup

so it isn't a local thing that will be reconized. I would make it look like it is growing so those who don't know will get the idea that it is something to eat. people hate feeling stupid so if they mistake it for a musical instrument and then find out it is food, they will have some inner hostile feelings which is the last thing the business wants. it like not being able to pronounce a restaurant's name, it ticks people off even if they aren't aware of it.
That's why I've been trying for a some what organic look. I've been drawing a stylized version for budget reasons. I may offer to carve some realistic Black Trumpets out of HDU.

A highly stylized one like in Ricks layout avoids the whole issue though.

Jillbeans

What about a highly stylized cup shape that was shiny black on a orangey oval background, offset, with gilded dimensional lettering on a darker brown background?
This pic is all I could find to describe what I was thinking.
But with your wonderful carving skills, I know you could make the actual mushrooms too.
I am with Marlene about not liking something that seems "over my head" but since almost everything is, I am used to it.
:Coffee:

Attachments

• Hand_Scratch_Design_Trumpet_Shape_Tea_Mug_19784.jpg
    Hand_Scratch_Design_Trumpet_Shape_Tea_Mug_19784.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 150