• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SDS Drill..................

VTSigns

I have a corded Dewalt SDS and it works great. I have had it for about 5 years. I have both Bosch and Dewalt drills and both make good products. Don't rule out the Dewalt though.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Gino, not sure if you have existing cordless system(s) or not? That might have some impact in your decision.

As fas as cordless, I've heard nothing but good things about the Bosch Bulldog. If you're going to get a corded model, I would get that or the DeWalt. Specs are similar, DeWalt is $20 less on Amazon.

I have the DeWalt 20v Max SDS. All the DeWalt haters crack me up. I have easily drilled a few thousand holes with mine (3/16" bit in concrete) in just the past 15 months or so. If you want to spend a bunch on Hilti, they're a good drill. Performance-wise, I don't think they're worth it for how much more money you spend.

I posted this before, but here's my cordless DeWalt compared to a corded Hilti using a 1/2" bit, no pilot holes. It will punch a 3/16" hole in concrete with ease. click

rjssigns

If you are going to be working up in the air get the cheaper stuff. A $300 whatever splatters on concrete the same as a $150 unit.

Yes I've accidentally "air freighted" stuff from ladders, scaffold...warranty don't cover that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Moze...... that was great. I'm more inclined to get the corded drill more than ever.

We now have about 4 3/8" cordless drills and 2 1/2" cordless. We have 2 3/8" corded drills and 2 1/2" drills and one of those is a rotary hammer and it works, but not near as fast as either of those in your video.

I was out looking at a DeWalt 1", a Milwaukee 7/8",Bosch 1-1/8" and another 1" Bosch. No Hilti's to be found.

fmg

You can only buy Hilti from their site with an authorized account or on fleece bay.

fmg

Just curios Gina. Why would someone with your experience in this business look to buying a cheaper inferior product. Are you not always the one promoting expertise and such?
Look at the posts in this thread HILTI is light years ahead in polarity.
Take my advice you know it makes sense!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Not to be argumentative, but my cordless dewalt either keeps up with or comes extremely close to keeping up with any of the corded versions for what Gino is looking to do (3/16" holes...will go larger 1/2" or > holes with little effort). The Bosch or DeWalt corded versions are excellent quality and will also be more than adequate for what he's doing. Why spend a bunch more on a Hilti and have to deal with limited places to purchase and increased price?

fmg

Not to be argumentative, but my cordless dewalt either keeps up with or comes extremely close to keeping up with any of the corded versions for what Gino is looking to do (3/16" holes...will go larger 1/2" or > holes with little effort). The Bosch or DeWalt corded versions are excellent quality and will also be more than adequate for what he's doing. Why spend a bunch more on a Hilti and have to deal with limited places to purchase and increased price?
Better accuracy when drilling, Longevity of drill bits and equipment, less fatigue when drilling, more ergonomic design, and all backed up with a better warranty. Its like comparing a rolls royce with a mini in my opinion however I am a tool nut and will invest in the better tools of the trade.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just curios Gina. Why would someone with your experience in this business look to buying a cheaper inferior product. Are you not always the one promoting expertise and such?
Look at the posts in this thread HILTI is light years ahead in polarity.
Take my advice you know it makes sense!

Where or how do you see me arguing about any of this you mention ??

I haven't said one way or another about which way I'm gonna go. However, like Moze and some others have said..... there doesn't seem to be much difference.

Here's a little for instance....... I bought a cheap 3/8" cordless drill for $39.00 about two years ago. It still works as good as it did the first day. All of my $200 DeWalts have failed miserably..... and in less than a few months. In fact, a bunch of 101'ers were looking at all my drills and said I should build my own batteries or buy more. I took the cheapest way out for sh!ts & giggles and this cheap-O is outperforming all the others. In fact, to the tune of I bought another one later.... and it still is working just fine. I can replace this drill 5 times before spending all that money on the big named expensive ones.

Again, I haven't made up my mind which way I'll go on this one, but I've been asking many of our construction customers and friends.

In all honesty, I would get a Hilti, if I could find the one I like by seeing it and actually using it. Getting these things over the internet just don't sit well with me, but then again, that's me. :peace!:

David Wright

Originally Posted by fmg View Post Just curios Gina. Why would someone with your experience in this business look to buying a cheaper inferior product. Are you not always the one promoting expertise and such? Look at the posts in this thread HILTI is light years ahead in polarity. Take my advice you know it makes sense![/QUOTE said:
Hehe, he called you Gina.

John Butto

MILWAUKEE ; have always been a fan of their drills, but read somewhere they are not made in USA anymore, but what drill is.

signage

Gino you need to contact Hilti, they will send a salesman to you and he will show and demonstrate their equipment. Ask any contractor you work with and they will tell you Hilti is the best! Now would you buy a cheap LED message center or would you buy a Watchfire!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino you need to contact Hilti, they will send a salesman to you and he will show and demonstrate their equipment. Ask any contractor you work with and they will tell you Hilti is the best! Now would you buy a cheap LED message center or would you buy a Watchfire!

Well, ours have all been Daktronics, but I switched to Watchfire recently for a lower price and basically the same product.

Most of the contractors I talked to so far said Hilti.... if you wanna spend the money. At the same time, then they say, the tool is good no matter where you get it.

Usually, when I need special tools or to add a good one, it's added into the cost of the job and I put an extra $600 in the first and second job, so I'm pretty much covered. The tool is already paid for and I don't even have it yet. I'm just trying to find a Hilti distributor like you said, cause I can't find any local.

signage

Hilti doesn't have distributors, they sell direct! Haven't you seen the Hilti trucks around your area? Hilti's will take a beaten the other ones wont!