• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SDS Drill..................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hilti all the way..... Gino I know there is a local rep from the company down there I used to work with. Ill see if I have his contact info somewhere

Thanks.

The first job is coming up in about two weeks. It was supposed to be next week, but something on their end happened and they want to postpone installation.

I think their neighbor wants to do something and they might interfere when we're there next week.

Sign Works

HILTI HILTI HILTI all the way nothing else comes close
Bosch is chinese junk. Once you use Hilti nothing else compares
Try stepping it up to this model if you can spare the extra bucks.Long run you will appreciate the extra power TE 7 + DRS Rotary Hammer Drill.
Also your price looks higher than the list on the Hilti website.

Funny, I didn't know Chicago Illinois was in China :thumb:
Take a look fmg, what's it say in the lower right hand corner, Made in "WHERE"?

Attachments

• bosch.jpg
    bosch.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 112

ThinkRight

Funny, I didn't know Chicago Illinois was in China :thumb:
Take a look fmg, what's it say in the lower right hand corner, Made in "WHERE"?

Silly you
That sticker was printed in the USA .
:doh:
The Chinese and Korean parts were assembled here though.
( I have no proof , just the way stuff is made lately )

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, this hilti sds.jpg is what a friend of mine brought over, but it must weigh about 30lbs. That's too heavy to use all day for drilling holes.

So, I just got this little guy makita-2.jpg and was happy while testing it to drill a 3/16" hole in solid cement in about 15 seconds. It weighs in at 7.5lbs. Used my old hammer drill and it took about a minute.

signage

Gino those two drills are like comparing a cricut to a roland!
Also that Hilti is rate up to 3" lets see that Makita drill a 3" hole!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino those two drills are like comparing a cricut to a roland!
Also that Hilti is rate up to 3" lets see that Makita drill a 3" hole!

Obviously you don't know tools well the drill type tool!

I was not comparing, except that the Hilti my friend gave me was wa-a-a-ay over-kill for what I'm doing. My arms, Larry's arms and Jeremy's arms would've been dead by the end of drilling the holes. Besides, I've already tested it and it works just fine for what we're gonna be doing.

Remember, I'm not drilling 3" holes or anything of the likes. We're gonna be drilling 100's of 3/16" holes.... 2" deep. We're hanging Gemini letters.

Oh, and fmg.... maybe I don't know tools in your eyes, but evidently you can't read. I did my homework and I researched it well. Most of my answers came from construction guys. We're not gonna be using this drill every day in and out for everything we do. I got one heavy-duty enough to do what I need and can see in our future. There's no sense in buying a drill or any tool for more than you need, unless it make sense to go a little better. When you buy a shop truck, do you buy the biggest, baddest meanest truck on the lot ?? Of course not. So you used a drill once in your life, so now you're an expert and the rest of us are just dumb clowns.
Thank you all for your help. I feel we made a very good decision. Besides, if not, I still have a free $900 to get something else.....:toasting:

signage

No Gino you asked for recommendations and I recommended a Hilti that was around the same weight of what you got. Did you look at it, or did you just look at the one your buddy brought over?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No Gino you asked for recommendations and I recommended a Hilti that was around the same weight of what you got. Did you look at it, or did you just look at the one your buddy brought over?

No, I did not base it off the one my friend brought over, but I also listened to many people on this... besides the s101 folks. That's what I meant about doing my homework and researching this matter. Remember, I knew nothing about these drills until you brought something up about an SDS drill some months ago in a totally unrelated thread. That's when my research really began. As I got stuck, I started my own thread about this. So, now here we are. For that, I really thank you.

Anyway, I'll try this again.

He brought that one over and it was far too heavy for our needs. That rules out burrowing that one.

Believe it or not, I talked to a Milkwaukee, Hilti and DeWalt salesperson. They all said theirs was the best, but none of them could ever claim convincingly that when it comes down to the exact same size, amps, BPMs, RPMs and ease of use that any one was better than the other. So, I talked to a few guys that use these all the time. Hands down, everyone agreed Hilti was tops, but not many people owned them for one tiny reason..... their prohibitive cost. This was backed up by Home Depot's tool representative I talked to. Home Depot, used to rent the Hilti's, but they broke down as much as any other one on the market of equal, lesser or greater value. Their repair costs or replacement costs were too high. Home Depot has switched over to Makita, which has always been my choice of tools and that's what I ended up with for this job. Home Depot says they have a much better success rate with the Makitas compared to the Hilti's.... and far less complaints. Again, they are rented so they are probably abused.

Hilti is good, but far too much money for an identical tool that for the most part, is not gonna be overused. It's gonna get used, but not routinely everyday or most everyday. I feel I got my money's worth and after trying it on a few surfaces is works like a breeze.

If I find this drill is a piece of sh!t, I will report back if you think I should. The first job has been put off another week or so, due to someone getting ill and not being around for some other questions pertaining to this job. So, I won't have answers either way for a little while.
Does this satisfy your questions about my choice ??

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Hilti is overkill (pricewise) for drilling 3/16" holes. That Makita should serve your needs just fine.

petrosgraphics

gino,

i have 2 corded hilti drills have had them for many years, never ever had a problem..
yes, you have to order them.. service with hilti is fantastic.. talk with there reps.
they have a wealth of knowledge.... figure out future uses for the tool, you will have
it for a long time.......why go with cordless, replacement batteries will cost you more
than a new drill... have many cordless drills love them to death.... over time for this
type of application, my opinion, not a good idea.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
gino,

i have 2 corded hilti drills have had them for many years, never ever had a problem..
yes, you have to order them.. service with hilti is fantastic.. talk with there reps.
they have a wealth of knowledge.... figure out future uses for the tool, you will have
it for a long time.......why go with cordless, replacement batteries will cost you more
than a new drill... have many cordless drills love them to death.... over time for this
type of application, my opinion, not a good idea.....

Yes, I know about the corded [electric] vs cordless. My new Makita is corded. I probably would've been just as happy with a Hilti. Only the price got in the way.

signage

Yes, I know about the corded [electric] vs cordless. My new Makita is corded. I probably would've been just as happy with a Hilti. Only the price got in the way.

Looks like Addie is back, see post below!

In all honesty, I would get a Hilti, if I could find the one I like by seeing it and actually using it. Getting these things over the internet just don't sit well with me, but then again, that's me. :peace!:

So you like to talk about other and you do the same thing! Who would have thought that:omg:

So Ginoaddietech now that you asked a question, you did just like all you talk down to, so if the shoe fits wear it!:covereyes::Big Laugh

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Addie is back, see post below!

So you like to talk about other and you do the same thing! Who would have thought that:omg:

So Ginoaddietech now that you asked a question, you did just like all you talk down to, so if the shoe fits wear it!:covereyes::Big Laugh

You can take this in any direction you want, but if you think this is funny, you're sadly mistaken.

Addie said and made a lot of mistakes and constantly back-pedaled. If you think this is the same, then perhaps you should take a refresher course in business.

I don't think anyone has ever hung on my every word the way you've been doing it lately, Brian. What is your beef ?? I've PM'ed you about this, I've asked you on the boards, what's next ?? You want a phone call ??

It's called making a good business decision. I've said throughout this whole thread and you're still the only one riding my a$$. In my opinion, I found a tool I liked with basically all the same specs and cost less and I could have it immediately. There were no Hiltis around to look at, let alone try.

What is so hard to get through your noggin ??

The parts you highlighted support what I've been saying all along, anyways. That's what's so mindboggling to me.
Are you just stalking me or just being a ditz ?? For cripes sake, you're getting to be like a sore throat. I don't want it.......... :banghead:

Seriously, if ya got a problem, man up and call me or return my e-mails or PM's. This silly hounding me and not making any sense is pointless and you know it or you wouldn't be on this crusades of yours.

FS-Keith

I have 1000 dollar hilti drills on my truck and 180$ bosch bulldogs and 500$ hitachi's on my other guys trucks, we still all get the same jobs done in relatively the same time. I just dont have to worry about them destroying my really nice stuff.

Wraptrick

Makita just let out a cordless 36v SDS model I'm thinking of picking up. They call it "true a/c replacement". Claim being able to drill 75 5/8" holes 3" deep on a single set of batteries, and it barely weighs 11lbs. I've always liked Makita tools, I have a set of cordless drill/impact driver that have never failed to do anything I have asked of them. You should be happy with that corded model.

The 20V Max DeWalt looks like an excellent tool, as well. If I wasn't partial to Makita already, it would definitely be a contender at the moment.