• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sub shop layout

fmg

It look very political to me and I have seen this design on numerous avatars on many forums.
Sorry, don't like it.

TheSellOut

I have seen this design on numerous avatars on many forums.

Next time you come across any of these be sure to post them here. I bet you will be hard pressed to find one. I'm sure there might be similarities but Joe is an amazing artist and I am sure these layouts are one of a kind!

Great work Joe, love the signs and I really like how the shadowed sided of the Admiral blends right into the background!

fmg

Next time you come across any of these be sure to post them here. I bet you will be hard pressed to find one.QUOTE]
I certainly will post them if it pleases you, however I have wayyyyyyyyyyyy more interesting things to do than dig up avatars to prove my point.
Yes you are correct in saying Joe Diaz is an amazing artist just like many other individuals here and elsewhere, I just don't think that these designs cut the bread or 'sub' if ya know what I mean!
You gotta love opinions eh?

Joe Diaz

It look very political to me
Good. That is kind of what we were shooting for. We want political. We want patriotic. We want Military with a hint of old fashioned propaganda. We want Red, White and Blue and Americana. Land of the free, home of the brave baby!!!
:wavingflag:

So yes, I'm purposely shooting for that style. That is kind of the point. The sandwiches are called subs, An admiral commands subs. Hence Admiral's Subs, and Hence the patriotic, military theme.

I'm sorry you don't like it, but I'm gambling on the idea that more people will. We aren't going to reinvent the wheel because that theme rubs you the wrong way.

For me the blue is just not making me hungry

Fair enough but blue doesn't seem to effect: Domino's, Burger King, Culvers, Red Lobster, Long John Silvers, IHOP, Dairy Queen, Baskin Robbins, White Castle, Popeyes, etc. in a negitive way. My guess is the quality of their food plays a much larger roll though.:Big Laugh Besides, Blue is an essential part of that patriotic american theme. Sorry, the blue stays.

Joe isn't there an E in Sandwiches or is that a regional thing?
:)

Maybe a certain region in my brain earlier this morning. But no... that is a typo. Thanks for the head up.:thumb:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That color combo - style of layout seems to have worked pretty well before.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• BARACK-hope-POSTER.jpg
    BARACK-hope-POSTER.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 90

Joe Diaz

That color combo - style of layout seems to have worked pretty well before.

wayne k
guam usa

Yes the Obama poster was a major inspiration. Actually, the inspiration for the Obama Poster was a major inspiration. The KFC brand with a hint of jimmy johns were also major sources of inspiration. But in my opinion it is still a unique brand.

I guess I don't know what you guys want from me. Do you want me to use the colors green and orange? Can I do that and still have the American patriotic theme? Do you want me to rename the business? I mean I don't mind critiques one bit, even though technically I didn't really ask for them in this case. But all I'm getting is you don't like it, or it reminded you of something else, or I don't like the color blue , but other than Jill, no real solution on what to do about it.

It seems like this design just rubs some of you the wrong way. If I were to go back to drawing board, I'm not sure if I would post it here or not. I'm just not sure if I would have the time to defend it.

Good lord, tough crowd.:omg::Big Laugh

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I didn't say anything was wrong with it - just that it looked like something I had seen before.

"I guess I don't know what you guys want from me."

I'd like a foot long with extra mustard but hold the mayo as I am trying to slim down.

"I'm just not sure if I have the time to defend it. "

No need to defend - just grow some thicker skin...

wayne k
guam usa

iSign

looks good Joe. :thumb:
I think you have well over half the responders giving exceptional praise, so Wayne is right that I think you shouldn't worry about defending anything...

...but you know critiques, or variations on a theme always get discussed here, & a lot of us like doing that even to designers better than ourselves, so... :omg:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I agree with Jill's idea of less little torpedo's around the main 2 subs at the bottom!

ProWraps

hey joe. love your work. but i have to admit its starting to look all the same. maybe time to explore a different avenue.

not a knock by any means. you are talented beyond your years.

maybe some aurora fills from president dave dorkey?

Joe Diaz

No need to defend - just grow some thicker skin...

wayne k
guam usa

Perhaps you are right. Usually I do have thick skin when it comes to critiques. I certainly don't think my #$%t doesn't stink, and I'm well aware that not all of my work is going to be perfect in everyones eyes. So just consider my last post as a critique of other's critiques. If people are going to critique, then do me a favor, give me something to work with. Not "blue doesn't make me hungry" or "I don't like things that look political". :thumb:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Gosh, I like it... kinda reminded me a little of Quizno's frenchy/cafe store posters but with an avant garde, kitschy nautical theme with a KFC 50's vernacular twist

I don't know why people are hung up on the Obama poster... Shepard Fairey pinched that look from early constructivism way before that poster, from designers/artists like Alexander Rodchenko and the Stenberg brothers.

Looks good to me....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Gosh, I like it... kinda reminded me a little of Quizno's frenchy/cafe store posters but with an avant garde, kitschy nautical theme with a KFC 50's vernacular twist

I don't know why people are hung up on the Obama poster... Shepard Fairey pinched that look from early constructivism way before that poster, from designers/artists like Alexander Rodchenko and the Stenberg brothers.

Looks good to me....

Rick you are one of the tenured design gods here so I take your word as gospel each time it is given, but this time I think you may be unduly influenced by the circular nature of the center elements of this layout..

wayne k
guam usa