• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sub shop layout

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Rick you are one of the tenured design gods here so I take your word as gospel each time it is given, but this time I think you may be unduly influenced by the circular nature of the center elements of this layout..

wayne k
guam usa

It's true, I do like circles..

another thing I was thinking was, the scroll work.. just the other day I was admiring Jessica Hische's scroll work on her layouts...

http://jessicahische.com/typographizes/the-cover-of-the-village-voice-exclamation-point

and then I see a bit of it on Joe's lay out, it really is good stuff.

dj_elite

Little busy maybe, thats about it. Looks great! You can't please all the people all the time. May I ask what program you designed it in? illustrator?

signmeup

These people are crazy.... that's just an awesome layout Joe! (They're just jealous.)

I really like the the long thin red and blue one where the Admiral divides the layout. Love the retro/military theme.

Jillbeans

Joe I do realize that this has already been presented to the client (and undoubtedly approved) so maybe critiques were out of line.
But...I think that you were just cranking out a Joe Diaz style layout.
And while we all have our certain styles which become instantly recognizable, and that it's actually cool to be easily picked out, you don't always want to just rely on your style as a fall back.
I just think you can do better. I know it.
No problems with red white and blue, I love that.
I remember once Dr Cas telling someone (or mybe even referring to his own design) that they were trying to out-cool themselves.
His other slogan is "art is knowing when to stop" meaning you can tweak something so far then boom, you tweaked it too much.
I do that all the time when painting panels.
Not trying to beat you up, kid.
If anyone else did that layout I would be like, Hmm that's not too shabby.
But I don't think it's up to your caliber.
Not going to reinterate my suggestions, just trying to explain why I suggested them.

fmg

Good. That is kind of what we were shooting for. We want political. We want patriotic. We want Military with a hint of old fashioned propaganda. We want Red, White and Blue and Americana. Land of the free, home of the brave baby!!!
:wavingflag:

I'm sorry you don't like it, but I'm gambling on the idea that more people will. We aren't going to reinvent the wheel because that theme rubs you the wrong way.

It's not rubbing me in any way at all....Baby!It looks like my comments are Rubbing you..Baby!

Craig Sjoquist

Please don't stop posting your outstanding work it's inspiring to say the least.
Of course some will think negative in something, but that's how we all learn off the best and develop our own styles and work on solving customers request and ideas.

Joe you and your family rock in the industry you all do so much , and ask nothing in return.

Joe Diaz

It looks like my comments are Rubbing you..Baby!
Is that what you are shooting for? Cause It doesn't bother me. I'm simply letting you know I wont scrap the whole theme of the brand because you don't like political, When that is exactly the look we are going for.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good. That is kind of what we were shooting for. We want political. We want patriotic. We want Military with a hint of old fashioned propaganda. We want Red, White and Blue and Americana. Land of the free, home of the brave baby!!!

Haha.... then use my avatar............. :ROFLMAO:
Joe, you know you're good and posts like fmg's are just there to irritate you or just stir up trouble. As I said earlier, I think the thing looks great. Truely, I do. My input about the stars is simple, especially now that you've mentioned the military and patriotic part..... red stars generally indicate USSR and communist associations. In signs such as real estate, construction, movie theaters, grocery stores and so on.... red stars are fine, that's why I clarified it earlier. However, you're the designer and if no one picks up on that..... great. :thumb:

Anyway, don't waste your time answering or lowering yourself to the level of troublemakers. :U Rock:

Brandon708

So yes, I'm purposely shooting for that style. That is kind of the point. The sandwiches are called subs, An admiral commands subs. Hence Admiral's Subs, and Hence the patriotic, military theme.

I'm sorry you don't like it, but I'm gambling on the idea that more people will. We aren't going to reinvent the wheel because that theme rubs you the wrong way.

Fair enough but blue doesn't seem to effect: Domino's, Burger King, Culvers, Red Lobster, Long John Silvers, IHOP, Dairy Queen, Baskin Robbins, White Castle, Popeyes, etc. in a negitive way. My guess is the quality of their food plays a much larger roll though.:Big Laugh Besides, Blue is an essential part of that patriotic american theme. Sorry, the blue stays.

Maybe a certain region in my brain earlier this morning. But no... that is a typo. Thanks for the head up.:thumb:

I was watching something about colors and fast food restaurants a while ago. Basically when red is used in fast food restaurants they want the consumer to feel uncomfortable so they eat and get out as quickly as possible. When blue is used they feel more comfortable and stay a little longer while eating. This is also is more effective with softer earth tones.
I have experienced this while eating at Culvers. It's very comfortable in there because they use blue, white, tan in their decor. It's a much nicer environment to eat in.

Joe Diaz

Here you go Jill. I took all of your suggestions in addition to a few others from the other people who chimed in... but I compromised on the torpedoes at the bottom, because I feel like those are important to the brand, being that is the signature sub. I also think they fill in that space in a positive way. So I made them the secondary color so that it doesn't overpower the subs as you stated.
admirals subs z1.jpg

And in the spirit of experimentation, Here are a few different color options:
admirals subs z2.jpg
admirals subs z3.jpg
z5.jpg
... and my personal favorite :Big Laugh
green and orange
admirals subs z4.jpg

I don't think the other color combos look bad, but that isn't quite the feeling we were hoping to convey. But just so you all can see, different colors could work.

signmeup

I miss your starburst but that final post would be easier to make into a dimensional sign. Love the Admiral. If you can't trust him who can you trust? This restaurant is lucky to have found you.

GoodPeopleFlags

I've read posts from beginners who want "honest opinions" and then get offended when everyone basically says it sucks. One I saw recently was just awful and the creator said they still thought their's was great, while admitting they didn't know how to design. I just had to shake my head.

Joe, you know what you're doing and if anyone doesn't like what you create, you DO have the right to say, "Well, I like it anyway!" and that's that!

I love it! I totally see what you're going for! I would sincerely love to be as talented as you!

Joe Diaz

I was watching something about colors and fast food restaurants a while ago. Basically when red is used in fast food restaurants they want the consumer to feel uncomfortable so they eat and get out as quickly as possible. When blue is used they feel more comfortable and stay a little longer while eating. This is also is more effective with softer earth tones.
I have experienced this while eating at Culvers. It's very comfortable in there because they use blue, white, tan in their decor. It's a much nicer environment to eat in.

So what you are saying is if we go with blue and red, we balance out. In other words "hurry up and get comfortable" :Big Laugh

Jillbeans

Joe thanks for listening.
I do think it is more effective.
(but that's just me)
The only part I don't like is the two-tone where the ingredients thingies are.
Now I keep thinking 867-5309!
:)
Like the original colors best.