• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The most overused font in 2013 is.....

Lobster.

Is it just me or do you not see this font used everywhere lately? It's sad really. It's something fresh and beautifully styled and it's becoming rapidly overused. Next thing you know you'll see Lobster DOT numbers, Lobster movie titles, and Lobster logos.

Talking about all this Lobster is making me hungry.

SignosaurusRex

Agreed. As for it's success ...It has been widely distributed as a free font and it is fairly well done considering. I'm sure Pablo Impallari wishes he had attached a price. It certainly has it's merits.

peavey123

Lobster, Ribbon and Mission Script I see EVERYWHERE. Almost every restaurant uses one of those three on their menus in these parts I've noticed.

Craig Sjoquist

To me it is not the font that bothers me at all.

But the garbage layouts on everything, also angled copy, printed wraps of all sorts faded after 2 years, cracked vinyl after 3 years
& this is progress.
This is why I like hand lettering, when done I've done my best it will last a fair amount of time without looking like it should have been changed long ago.
It did not cost me $50,000 in hardware & $10,000 in software & countless hours of learning curve plus all the other hassles & set backs.

neato

I was going to say Wisdom Script from lost type. I agree, they're great fonts, I don't know if I'd say they're overused...yet. Fonts go in and out of style, that's the style right now. In most of the instances I've seen, they've been used well.

They'll be overused when you start seeing them packaged as a part of Windows and used on every homemade flyer & invitation. Just imagine...

Attachments

• invite.jpg
    invite.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 51

Jillbeans

I am already getting sick of Mission Script, and I really liked it.
So much, in fact, that I used it on my daughter's wedding RSVPs.
I tried Alex Brush for her wedding signs and lo and behold now I see it everywhere.
I'm also totally sick of Bleeding Cowboys (stillll) and though I love Chuck Borges and all of his fonts, and it's a sign of how great they are too, but I see Sarah Script and Louisiana everywhere.
Love.....Jill

neato

You're right Jill. Isn't Sarah Script used on a Ranch dressing bottle? That's what I think about every time I use that font. It's still a great font though.

One thing I try to keep in mind, we get sick of them because we stare at them everyday and are quick to notice the fonts in use. The average Joe can't tell, he just knows what looks attractive, even if just subconsciously.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I don't care for any of the faces mentioned. They are all, to one degree or another, stilted and forced. Lobster is rather ugly, the various scripts mentioned all look like the efforts of apprentices done on glass. They're OK but I have better.

The quality of the type faces I find far less bothersome than the quality of the typography in which they might be found.That is truly hideous.

copythat

It did not cost me $50,000 in hardware & $10,000 in software & countless hours of learning curve plus all the other hassles & set backs.

WOW! That hurts! But in reality I can not argue with you... I am one that hides behind the a 32" monitor. After watching your post of the Paint Movie. I only wish I was given your talents. Also because of that video, this weekend I will google and learn the art of hand painting. Some years back, someone in this forum posted a great video of painters doing a wall justice. They were painting a beautiful glass of beer. Stella beer. I never drank Stella before. But after knowing that they paid for traditional painters instead of a vinyl scrim or mesh. I have made it my first request as an ale. I still love me Becks. :Big Laugh
But I will patronize a business that believes in painting a work of art on a building.

Thanks Craig!

SignManiac

I've never heard of the fonts mentioned above until now?? I must be out of the loop. The majority of the fonts I use are letterhead, DNA and Steves fonts. I will not conform to the base.

Pat Whatley

But the garbage layouts on everything, also angled copy, printed wraps of all sorts faded after 2 years, cracked vinyl after 3 years
& this is progress.
This is why I like hand lettering, when done I've done my best it will last a fair amount of time without looking like it should have been changed long ago.

Whatever. Man, there were just as many hand lettering snapper hacks 30 years ago as there are vinyl sticker hacks now. Very, very rarely do I see anything hand lettered these days that couldn't have been done better another way. I'm not trying to belittle people with the unbelievable skill-set and the incredible talent that good hand lettering requires, I'm just saying that even now maybe 1 in 10 of those people is actually capable of producing anything noticeably better than the average vinyl hack.

PRS Bryan

Whatever. Man, there were just as many hand lettering snapper hacks 30 years ago as there are vinyl sticker hacks now. Very, very rarely do I see anything hand lettered these days that couldn't have been done better another way. I'm not trying to belittle people with the unbelievable skill-set and the incredible talent that good hand lettering requires, I'm just saying that even now maybe 1 in 10 of those people is actually capable of producing anything noticeably better than the average vinyl hack.

Well Said.

Marlene

freaking Copperplate...I've seen it on everthing, usually with large caps/small caps sqeezed to death so they could get a really big letter as that is all that matters is how freaking big can you make this freaking letter and squish it so bad no one can read the freaking thing 'cause it looks like a freaking bar code...rant over, whew

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
In this area, green energy, bleeding cowboy, boston truck style and lastly ... mesquite ... or any of the 20 different but same variants of mesquite ... it's on the fricken waffle house menus for the love of all that is unholy! .. But every damn trucker or cowboy or whatever that wears boots and spits chaw will want it on their p.o.s. '94 ford ranger cause it's 'sick ****'.

SignManiac

I turned away $1,200.00 for a park sign where they insisted I use mesquite. I refused and told them to find someone else for the job. I will not lower my standards, even for the love of money.

Billct2

I agree there always were hacks.
I saw an old truck lettering job the other day and I instantly knew who had done it, the guy had three fonts and 6 layouts that he used on everything, but everyone thought he was a master because it was hand painted.