• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1 time Van Letterng

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I'm not sure how to post a response without sounding snarky, but here goes. ..

By starting off with your price redicously cheap, it will be almost impossible to get up to where you need to be to be competitive, much less profitable.

If you are the cheapest guy in the area, word will spread quickly, and when you go to raise your price, customers will think that you are gouging them. Not to mention you will bring your competitors prices into question. It's much easier to start off where you need to be and adjust prices later.

It doesn't sound snarky at all. Besides, I have thick skin.

I've learned quite a bit since first coming here..... and one of the main things is...... everyone has to start somewhere. Years ago, that usually meant learning from those who knew/know. One would learn by watching, being taught and gaining knowledge through strenuous training and techniques. Proper usage for the appropriate circumstances meant a lot. Today, it means according to some other responses in my thread from the other day, us old timers are a dying breed and actually don't know as much as the world-wide people flocking through these doors. Regardless of language, position or even goals, they tend to know more since they are so diverse in so many areas.

Take this OP for instance..... He actually fabricates those mail boxes, welds them together, powder coats them, then assembles them [I don't know about the posts] and has all that knowledge, but he can't see how to put size and volume together to get a normal industry price for a truck. Understandable, for sure. He sounds like a very honest person.... and his price tells us that. So, why if he has $20 or $25 worth of vinyl, some weeding time and taping and then applying is $125 not enough ?? Just some words, one color and no digital printing or high end vinyl. He's making profit, meeting his overhead and will probably do well at that price, especially since it's a fleet of trucks. Sheer volume will make up for it. I'm sure the customer saw this and scarfed the deal up quickly, but that's not his fault he didn't go to a regular sign shop which would evidently charge him an arm & a leg more, according to all these other responses.

Like I said, I know a shop that gets as little as $45 a side to do vans. He's busier that a horse's tail during fertilizing season, but he's happy. He also does electric signs and neon for next to nothing. Granted, he's not any good and you can tell his work in a glance. I don't think these guys keep long term customers, but that's how you either grow or roll with the punches.

Yeah, I used to think these guys undercutting/lowballing the industry were a hazard to their neighbors or other members on here, but in reality, they generally just make the rest of us look better, once production begins. So, they do need to start somewhere, especially if they have no foundation to start. Therefore, if he/she's happy and content, who are we to tell them to raise their prices and become competitive in a world where they won't stand a chance ?? They need to go in on price alone and if it's too high, they're outta here..... the business, that is...... not this place.

pricing

It doesn't sound snarky at all. Besides, I have thick skin.

I've learned quite a bit since first coming here..... and one of the main things is...... everyone has to start somewhere. Years ago, that usually meant learning from those who knew/know. One would learn by watching, being taught and gaining knowledge through strenuous training and techniques. Proper usage for the appropriate circumstances meant a lot. Today, it means according to some other responses in my thread from the other day, us old timers are a dying breed and actually don't know as much as the world-wide people flocking through these doors. Regardless of language, position or even goals, they tend to know more since they are so diverse in so many areas.

Take this OP for instance..... He actually fabricates those mail boxes, welds them together, powder coats them, then assembles them [I don't know about the posts] and has all that knowledge, but he can't see how to put size and volume together to get a normal industry price for a truck. Understandable, for sure. He sounds like a very honest person.... and his price tells us that. So, why if he has $20 or $25 worth of vinyl, some weeding time and taping and then applying is $125 not enough ?? Just some words, one color and no digital printing or high end vinyl. He's making profit, meeting his overhead and will probably do well at that price, especially since it's a fleet of trucks. Sheer volume will make up for it. I'm sure the customer saw this and scarfed the deal up quickly, but that's not his fault he didn't go to a regular sign shop which would evidently charge him an arm & a leg more, according to all these other responses.

Like I said, I know a shop that gets as little as $45 a side to do vans. He's busier that a horse's tail during fertilizing season, but he's happy. He also does electric signs and neon for next to nothing. Granted, he's not any good and you can tell his work in a glance. I don't think these guys keep long term customers, but that's how you either grow or roll with the punches.

Yeah, I used to think these guys undercutting/lowballing the industry were a hazard to their neighbors or other members on here, but in reality, they generally just make the rest of us look better, once production begins. So, they do need to start somewhere, especially if they have no foundation to start. Therefore, if he/she's happy and content, who are we to tell them to raise their prices and become competitive in a world where they won't stand a chance ?? They need to go in on price alone and if it's too high, they're outta here..... the business, that is...... not this place.

Thank you for your kind words, I try to be honest , but at the same time I have learned there is a difference from Knowledge and Experience, Many here think we want to take there Knowledge and Experience and take away there jobs, So true in the past it was almost like being an apprentice...

The reason for asking here is exactly not to be to low in price, if I have to adjust to be at the same level as those around me , I most certainly will do, However it seems to fluctuate , How can 3 local sign shops charge $125.00 for 2 sides Simple Text(Company Name, Company phone) all additional lines would be extra....We all now how economical vinyl is , Weeding takes the most time and Masking and prepping....but there is no standard method of figuring out, Since this post I have done research found a couple of Vinyl calculators and they are way lower then My price of $125.00....How can someone charge $500.00-$800.00 for a Van , I understand if the complexity makes it more $$$ and Digital Printing, and Wrapping a Vehicle, If I apply the same Principle to my Mailbox Numbers I would have to be charging $50+ for 3" numbers....(Really!!!!!) I charge $15.00 shipped to customer and if they want installed I charge $25.00(within 30 miles) Each time I install In the communities I get request for more Numbers...You can order numbers online for $7-$10 bucks

I also understand about keeping a uniform pricing plan for all of us working in this field, That is why I ask , And yes I want to keep my quality of production Up not be Known as a low baller, (Quality Comes at a Price) this is a career for most of us , but let us be frank it is art to a certain point.

Keep the comments coming, As I can learn from you all

Thanks

Stormyj

Just another guy
Thank you for your kind words, I try to be honest , but at the same time I have learned there is a difference from Knowledge and Experience, Many here think we want to take there Knowledge and Experience and take away there jobs, So true in the past it was almost like being an apprentice...

The reason for asking here is exactly not to be to low in price, if I have to adjust to be at the same level as those around me , I most certainly will do, However it seems to fluctuate , How can 3 local sign shops charge $125.00 for 2 sides Simple Text(Company Name, Company phone) all additional lines would be extra....We all now how economical vinyl is , Weeding takes the most time and Masking and prepping....but there is no standard method of figuring out, Since this post I have done research found a couple of Vinyl calculators and they are way lower then My price of $125.00....How can someone charge $500.00-$800.00 for a Van , I understand if the complexity makes it more $$$ and Digital Printing, and Wrapping a Vehicle, If I apply the same Principle to my Mailbox Numbers I would have to be charging $50+ for 3" numbers....(Really!!!!!) I charge $15.00 shipped to customer and if they want installed I charge $25.00(within 30 miles) Each time I install In the communities I get request for more Numbers...You can order numbers online for $7-$10 bucks

I also understand about keeping a uniform pricing plan for all of us working in this field, That is why I ask , And yes I want to keep my quality of production Up not be Known as a low baller, (Quality Comes at a Price) this is a career for most of us , but let us be frank it is art to a certain point.

Keep the comments coming, As I can learn from you all

Thanks

Its quite easy to get to $500-$800. Im not sure what online calculator your using. Perhaps its telling you the actual cost of material or something. I charge 30% over cost for material and $80 an hour. For doors only, 2 ea, cast vinyl, multi color I charge $250. And I get it quite regularly. For an entire van, it depends on how much text/graphics. The cost of the material isn't what bumps up the price. Its the number of hours I have to design, cut, prep, and install. there is 4-6 hours right there. So, now you can see where the price comes from. I was just talking to a roland tech working on my machine about these 1 guy sign shops charging $10 for a 4x6 banner. Jeez, they are paying themselves like $8 an hour. I cant live on that.
Now the OP in the first post wasn't really clear on if he is doing this full time or just helping out his buddy. If its the buddy thing, just charge him cost and a 6pack of beer and call it a day.
:smile:

OldPaint

its what you dont see when doing a van/truck that makes it that expensive. cutting a couple 3" numbers and getting $7-10 each.......is high. closest thing i do like that is boat/personal watercraft #.....i can cut you a pair for $10. hand em to you and you stick em.
doing a VAN......... alot more is required to make it look right.
1. design
2. customer approval
3. van preparation
4. installing vinyl.
design and customer approval eats up time(time is money)van preparation, cleaning laying out lines where the vinyl will go.
application. now putting on 48" long x 10" tall vinyl is a lot more work then stickin a 3" letter on a mailbox)))))
then you gota get rid of any lines........clean up the trash(paper liner transfer tape) THEN YOU CAN COLLECT YOUR PAY.
here are a couple of big letters 10 foot long 12 inch tall...........need 4 hands(another body who has to be paid)

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 92
  • 001s.jpg
    001s.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 108

Sign Works

its what you dont see when doing a van/truck that makes it that expensive. cutting a couple 3" numbers and getting $7-10 each.......is high. closest thing i do like that is boat/personal watercraft #.....i can cut you a pair for $10. hand em to you and you stick em.
1. design
2. customer approval
3. van preparation
4. installing vinyl.
design and customer approval eats up time(time is money)van preparation, cleaning laying out lines where the vinyl will go.
application. now putting on 48" long x 10" tall vinyl is a lot more work then stickin a 3" letter on a mailbox)))))
then you gota get rid of any lines........clean up the trash(paper liner transfer tape) THEN YOU CAN COLLECT YOUR PAY.
here are a couple of big letters 10 foot long 12 inch tall...........need 4 hands(another body who has to be paid)

12" tall letters ..... needs four hands ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

reQ

12" tall letters ..... needs four hands ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nice to have a helper i guess. Since i am 1 man shop, i do any size of littering by myself, but if you have a helper it would go bit faster

Joe300i

Just to start I own a Mailbox and Street sign Business, I have a Graphtec CE6000 , But I only cut out Mailbox Numbers and A few other things for the wife and her crafting, I have been requested by a Friend who owns a Fleet of Vans and He wants Lettering with Company Name and phone Number and some services Provided.

He knows I have never taken on a job like this, what size letters do I use? I have the Material and Idea on pricing. Simple Lettering no photo , I figured $125.00 for 2 sides, any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

I think Sign Universe knows what I think about the price on this from my previous reply on a different thread, haha. $125 for both sides ? Regardless of the size, that's not enough. I believe that you need to provide a lot more information before you can get a proper analysis of what you should charge, but I know for a fact it's not $125. You should always use a cast material for vehicles, despite what you hear/see others doing, so that makes it a bit more. Also, what is the exact size ? You'll also have to laminate the graphic (if you're using printable media). Also, does he know exactly what he wants ? Do you have to consult with him, giving him ideas and samples of what it will look like ?. If you're just using a die cut media, then scratch the lamination and printing. We'll say the "image size" on your van (the part of the van that you'll be doing your work on) is 3' x 1.5' for the company name, phone number, and maybe a small logo on the doors (2 sides). Then, on the back of the van, allot maybe 4' x 2' for services rendered...you know, something like "• Landscaping • Ice Removal", etc. So we'll say you're just going to die cut everything in one color. You'll pay roughly .40 for cast die cut 3M or Avery media, and with installation, consultation, computer and design work, you can safely charge $8-10 sq ft installed. So, for one truck, both sides you'd be at between $225-250. Keep in mind, you have to make it, cut it, weed it, mask it, apply it, etc. So it's not just as simple as someone saying "What!, $250 for that!, it's only lettering!". For those dimensions, and if he had a small logo ready to cut, one color, I'd be at $250 for his van, total for everything.

Joe300i

1. design
2. customer approval
3. van preparation
4. installing vinyl.

This guy knows what he's talking about. There's always more to it than just "Hey!, why's that so much money!, all I want it some lettering!. My brother's cousin's aunt's nephew said he'd do it for $10!". In order for it to adhere properly, have longevity, and look professional, the correct steps needs to be taken in a proper fashion.

OldPaint

HEY DODO.........IT AINT 12" TALL that requires 4 hands.........guess you didnt see TEN FOOT LONG????
YES.... i to am a 1 man show.........and can cut that 10 foot up into manageable segments........BUT A LOT QUICKER AND EASIER to install with 4 HANDS))))))
for joe 300i:
i to am from washington pa. well AVELLA/penowa to be exact. many friends there.

Joe300i

HEY DODO.........IT AINT 12" TALL that requires 4 hands.........guess you didnt see TEN FOOT LONG????
YES.... i to am a 1 man show.........and can cut that 10 foot up into manageable segments........BUT A LOT QUICKER AND EASIER to install with 4 HANDS))))))
for joe 300i:

Oh yea ? small world. I know a lot of people in these parts as well. Hope everything is going well for you!

Sign Works

for joe 300i:

OP ... I'll install 48" tall letters 50' long all day long by myself thank you very much, an extra set of hands would only get in the way. What the hell do I know I've only been installing vinyl for 40 years.

Dodo ????????????? Really ???????????????? How old are you again ?????????????????

OldPaint

well good fer ya....IAM 70..........and this body took a beating for bout 40 of those years)))) cant do a 2 step ladder now))))explain to me HOW you could abeen installing vinyl for 40 YEARS???? if you had goober 4b in 1984...WHEN VINLY CUTTERS STARTED...that would be only 32 years)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))these are me LMAO))))))

OldPaint

for sign works:
i also have to walk with a cane........this was my suprise the wife bought me in mohogany bay......when she went on a cruise. my right hand, has 2 working digits.....thumb and index finger. last 3 fingers....cant close em.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 99