• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10yr Old Wrap Removal Suggestions

shoresigns

We had similar results using this:
Vinyl-Off by CrystalTek™ Green products that work
It worked on old cracked printed Controltac and even older Electrostatic Scotchcal off 42ft aluminum fuel tanker trailers.
Just had to leave it on long enough for the vinyl & adhesive to turn into rubbery snot.

wayne k
guam usa
We tried this stuff out recently as well. We've only tested it on a small sign, but it works great – it seems like it just soaks through the vinyl and then disintegrates the adhesive.

equippaint

We tried this stuff out recently as well. We've only tested it on a small sign, but it works great – it seems like it just soaks through the vinyl and then disintegrates the adhesive.
We use that also and its ok but it's no miracle in a bottle. I personally wouldn't buy it again. We had better luck using it with the sun beating on it but its still slow and didn't work like whatever stripper they used in that video

decalman

We had similar results using this:
Vinyl-Off by CrystalTek™ Green products that work
It worked on old cracked printed Controltac and even older Electrostatic Scotchcal off 42ft aluminum fuel tanker trailers.
Just had to leave it on long enough for the vinyl & adhesive to turn into rubbery snot.

wayne k
guam usa
Yes, vinyl off ( reflective ) is excellent. It's biodegradable. Safe to breath and it works wonders most of the time

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
i have tried Vinyl off like 5 years ago and it did nothing!
I have tried something else that was more like a gel and it loosened the vinyl like on the video but it left full glue. basically separated the vinyl from the glue. Not sure if it helped or made things worse. Just a coule months ago i had a food truck removal that was wrapped in some cheap chinese crap vinyl. Vinyl came off ok but left glue. just the glue removal took us 10 hrs and 5 gallons of rapid removal. It im glad it was a food truck because i couldn't have scraped off the glue from a decent care the way we did on that food truck.
btw regular pressure washer will not remove wrap nor any type of vinyl ( wrap or lettering) I usually loosen up the glue with rapid remover and shave it off with a pressure washer but even with that sometimes i have hard time. Not sure if stronger pressure washer is something i would use on a car. I can lift paint with this regular pressure washer if so i would never put a stronger one to it.

Steamer is a nice option. Or you can put your vehicle in sunlight for some time and then can start removing wrap. Providing some heat is the only formula for the wrap removal.

Active Sign

Sign Guy
Just my 2Cents.
Screw the removal. You will forever look back on it and wonder “what was I thinking”. I’ve been there. Look into doing one of those perimeter frames that you attach a banner to. Much easier. The System - Ackland Media Frames . They even sell you the banner at a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If it hasn't been said, that's a 10 year old liquid laminated print.

If you haven't done one before run or charge by the hour. The people that remove these and make money have an expensive high pressure steam sprayer and they use some chemicals and then blow it off. If you try and remove that by hand your finger tips will murder you in your sleep if you even have time to sleep.

Good Luck.

johnnysigns

I've done too many of these. We used a weed burner to heat the panels up and get to peeling. Mineral spirits and a single edge razor take off any lingering adhesive. Denatured alcohol will take off any of the marks the single edge razor leaves - I don't mean scratches, I mean the scuffs the single edge razor will leave behind.

Creighton

He is going to sign a liability waiver right? And he's not going to be a reputation problem when you're using your 10th type of chemical and it spontaneously combusts, right? Just a sensibility check-in. I know a little about Humble, and word of mouth travels fast among us east Texans. Especially in the fall when the weather gets nice, and the skeeters start dying ;-)

For Wrap removal, our base pricing is standard at $800, 53 ft, 4-6 yr old 3M hi performance decals, sides and rear only. Add $75 for rear swing doors. Add $75 for any additional side doors. Add 33% for 7-10 yr old. Add 100% for 11-13 yr old. Excessively Gouged/scraped=More! Non 3M=more! The most we have charged for full wrap removal 53ft trailer =$3800(full EZreflective 8 yrs old). The least=$550(5 yr old 3M controltac with comply).
Too many conditions that can be game changers.