• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10yr Old Wrap Removal Suggestions

WorxMedia

Not sure what the condition of the current wrap is. Doing a site survey this Tuesday. If its not cracking then I will consider wrapping on top, with the disclaimer that the work will not be warrantied.

I came across this method while doing more research. What do you guys think about doing dustless blasting. It will take the wrap off to the bare metal. Will the surface have to be painted first? If not, this may be a cheaper alternative that spending a week removing by hand.

Dustless Blasting Fleet Vehicles

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Just post pictures so we have a better idea what your dealing with instead of all this guessing. Try to remove a small section and see how it goes.

equippaint

Blasting wont remove it like you think. It will take forever and it is guaranteed to ruin the paint. That aluminum will likely corrode pretty fast at that point too. A 10+yr old van trailer isnt worth much, id say go over top as I doubt they are going to want to spend a boatload to do this to automotive standards. If its in the budget to remove it, use a 4k lb hot water pressure washer or steam cleaner then come back and try to get off the leftover adhesive. I personally wouldnt do the job if it had to come off and was going to be this difficult. It ties up resources for too long when there are easier ways to make money.

BUCKY

We have been down this same road many times. We contacted the company in the video as well and they were not willing to share any secrets on what they were using.
They did however offer to give an estimate for the removal.

petepaz

I am surprised no one mentioned the MBX Vinyl Zapper yet. It would take awhile, but it removes both the vinyl and adhesive.
i have a vinyl zapper and it's great but don't think you want to use it for wrap removal

petepaz

We have been down this same road many times. We contacted the company in the video as well and they were not willing to share any secrets on what they were using.
They did however offer to give an estimate for the removal.

even that would be fine just quote the job with them doing the removal. what's the difference if they remove it with their secret technology real quick or you do it and take a long time. i choose not getting my hands dirty on that one

WorxMedia

Here are some pics of the wrap. It will deff have to come off. Wrapping on top is not going to work. closeups

My plan is to rent a high powered gas 3500hp Hot Water pressure washer to do the initial removal and some good old fashioned rapid remover and plastic scrapers for any left over adhesive. This will by my first "old cracked wrap" removal. I know its going to be alot of work, but I want to tackle this project to gauge first hand of how long this will actually take. Any guesses out there of an eta? 3-4 guys and 1 power washer.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Here are some pics of the wrap. It will deff have to come off. Wrapping on top is not going to work. closeups

My plan is to rent a high powered gas 3500hp Hot Water pressure washer to do the initial removal and some good old fashioned rapid remover and plastic scrapers for any left over adhesive. This will by my first "old cracked wrap" removal. I know its going to be alot of work, but I want to tackle this project to gauge first hand of how long this will actually take. Any guesses out there of an eta? 3-4 guys and 1 power washer.

Can you not remove a small section to see how it is?????

equippaint

This job is going to cost someone more money than that the trailer is worth. It is either going to be you or it will be the owner of the trailer. Considering you have no idea on how difficult and expensive this will be, my money is going on the latter. I may be way off here but Id bet it will cost you 3-5k to remove it with 4 people.. Then add in a profit, materials, rental, chemicals, mobe in, mobe out etc.

WorxMedia

Ouch... Yeah I would have turned that job down.

Lol!
Can you not remove a small section to see how it is?????

I just removed a very small section that was already lifting up and it wasnt too difficult to pull off. Thats not to say the whole thing will be like that. I did see that literally every rivet was tented and when I grabbed my plastic scraper and went around it the vinyl was very brittle and cracked off from around it.

WorxMedia

This job is going to cost someone more money than that the trailer is worth. It is either going to be you or it will be the owner of the trailer. Considering you have no idea on how difficult and expensive this will be, my money is going on the latter. I may be way off here but Id bet it will cost you 3-5k to remove it with 4 people.. Then add in a profit, materials, rental, chemicals, mobe in, mobe out etc.

Have you ever done a wrap removal like this? Im just wondering since I have not but here is my math/ logic.
5 Gallon bucket of Rapid Remover - $250
1 week Rental of machine - $600
1 work week (5days) of hired help 3 guys @ $15 per hour/8hour days - $1800
Lunch - $250
Total is $2900 cost.
Multipy cost x 100% = $5800.
Feeling of accomplishment if this actually works, and we get to print & wrap it again = Priceless (LMAO)
Thats what Im thinking about quoting on this job. If they go with it, cool. If not, no worries, Im still doing a 14' trailer wrap for them (without removal ready to go).

What say you??

equippaint

Have you ever done a wrap removal like this? Im just wondering since I have not but here is my math/ logic.
5 Gallon bucket of Rapid Remover - $250
1 week Rental of machine - $600
1 work week (5days) of hired help 3 guys @ $15 per hour/8hour days - $1800
Lunch - $250
Total is $2900 cost.
Multipy cost x 100% = $5800.
Feeling of accomplishment if this actually works, and we get to print & wrap it again = Priceless (LMAO)
Thats what Im thinking about quoting on this job. If they go with it, cool. If not, no worries, Im still doing a 14' trailer wrap for them (without removal ready to go).

What say you??
You are grossly underestimating your labor. For one, you need to be paid to work so its $2400 plus workers comp and taxes so say 3200 just payroll. Then you have to account for overhead in it too. Id figure a minimum $30/hr on the real low side if you dont have a shop or much of one for your true labor cost so 4x30x40=4800 add 1100 materials and youre at $5900 with $0 profit. So say 40% puts you at $8260.
The biggest mistake you will make is not knowimg or considering your true cost of labor. Its much higher than you would guess.
Theres a reason the car & truck dealers charge $125/hr in their shop and its not because they are greedy.
I have removed crappy cracked up wraps, not on trailers though. Where its all tented you end up with corrosion that cant just be covered back up. Its a pain. We buy and sell equipment and anytime theres a crappy wrap we just plan on painting it and I add in a few days extra shop labor to cover the removal.

Last edited: